Page 444 of 473 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446454 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 4725

Thread: FK Readers CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Perumthachan View Post
    the reason i asked is, recently read a memoir by scriptwriter john paul where he talks about the thinking process of himself, padmarajan, bharathan, mohan, kg george and the contemporaries. in that, he mentions about this dravidian psyche. he claims padmarajan and bharathan had strong notions about the psyche which basically dealt with raw human greed, emotions came only after. he says it had to do with our geography and the food that this land produced. it was this blend of the dravidian psyche with emotions (rathinirvedham, chatta, lorry, phayalvan, peruvazhiyambalam, irakal, randu penkutikal) that immediately struck a chord with the audience. he says rural tamil cinema still holds strong to it. also that, kg george mixed the travancore-christian culture into this same psyche in his films. now that you mention it, evolutionary psychology is something i should check out.
    athu nalla oru analysis aanu .. Athu pole nammude demigods,moral values randum nammude low self-esteeminte baagam ennum parayaam ..

carl jung angerude oru pustkathil oro culturum avarude symbols athu avaril undakunna growth process okke parayund . example parayuga aanel nammude mikka historical sangathiyum rock or black stonesil undakiyathaanu .. athu nammude self or atman unchanged enna oru pointil ninnum vannathaanu .. egyptil poyaal color aaya archictect roopangal kaaanam. .aa culture colorinu pradhanyam kodukkunath avarude nature conceptil connect aagunnu ...

I the citizen by r balasubramani ,
    we the nation , nani palkhivala

ee randu books aarelum vaayichittundo .. indian burocracye kurichulla books aanennu kettath .. Palkhivalaye patti ulla courtroom genius nalla book aanennu tonnunu...

FK SULTHAN

FK SULTHAN

Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    western philosophy vayichu tudangan agrahikunvark A Little History of Philosophy - Nigel Warburton vaayikkaam .. easiy aayittu vaayikkaam athu pole themes puthiya aalkarak accessible aaguna pole aanu. ancient philosophers main ayaittula aalkare ulpeduthiyttund kurach pere koodi cherkaan aayirunnu like heraclitus, sophits or marcus aurelius athu pole Heideggerinte technolgoy concept okke ippozhum valid aanu .. Post modern thinkers aarum illa ennathu ozhichaal puthiya kaalth vanna nalla oru introductory book aanu
    the title claims philosophy on the whole but restrains itself only to western philosophy. there is no mention of eastern philosophies like laoism, taoism, sanatana dharmam or buddhism. there is no mention of middle eastern islamic philosophers. like you said, martin heidegger just has a passing reference, maybe because of his nazi connections. even carl jung has been omitted. maybe warburton has an aversion for existentialism. i also find it awkward when i find sigmund freud in philosophical circles. i would prefer to place him in the psychological.
    Last edited by Perumthachan; 08-17-2020 at 11:14 AM.

6. Likes jordan liked this post

the title claims philosophy on the whole but restrains itself only to western philosophy. there is no mention of eastern philosophies like laoism, taoism, sanatana dharmam or buddhism. there is no mention of middle eastern islamic philosophers. like you said, martin heidegger just has a passing reference, maybe because of his nazi connections. even carl jung has been omitted. maybe warburton has an aversion for existentialism. i also find it awkward when i find sigmund freud in philosophical circles. i would prefer to place him in the psychological.
    yes.. freud oru psychologist aano ennath polum debated alle.. angerude method mikkavarum follow cheyyum engilum , ideas mikkathum aarkum venda ...)

ee books naan kittiyappol aadyam nokkiyath athinte oru ideasinte growth aanu.. author alpam life oriented aayittanu kaaryangale kaanunath .. aa oru theme mothathil kaanam... athu kondaagum kure koodi grey aaya questions or ideas ullavare ulpeduthathe irunath ennu ennikkum thonni..

yes.. freud oru psychologist aano ennath polum debated alle.. angerude method mikkavarum follow cheyyum engilum , ideas mikkathum aarkum venda ...) ee books naan kittiyappol aadyam nokkiyath athinte oru ideasinte growth aanu.. author alpam life oriented aayittanu kaaryangale kaanunath .. aa oru theme mothathil kaanam... athu kondaagum kure koodi grey aaya questions or ideas ullavare ulpeduthathe irunath ennu ennikkum thonni..
    even bertrand russell's 'the history of western philosophy' has avoided martin heidegger.
    terrence mallick, who was supposed to be a philosopher, is a great proponent of heidegger.

historically, philosophy started in athens because of the port city's access to the eastern world. alongwith the growth of greek civilisation, the rich had leasure time to think about the realities of life which flourished greek philosophy. ionian philosophers studied geometry from egypt (nile civilisation). later day european philosophers took over and developed it. our own indus civilisationan, coupled with the chinese invention of paper, recorded a lot. but after that, where did eastern philosophy fall behind? other than some god(con)men, why hasn't vivekananda or aurobindo or krishnamurthi not rise to those levels? was it the poverty or lack of sponsors or did we really lose the interest?

even bertrand russell's 'the history of western philosophy' has avoided martin heidegger.
    terrence mallick, who was supposed to be a philosopher, is a great proponent of heidegger.

historically, philosophy started in athens because of the port city's access to the eastern world. alongwith the growth of greek civilisation, the rich had leasure time to think about the realities of life which flourished greek philosophy. ionian philosophers studied geometry from egypt (nile civilisation). later day european philosophers took over and developed it. our own indus civilisationan, coupled with the chinese invention of paper, recorded a lot. but after that, where did eastern philosophy fall behind? other than some god(con)men, why hasn't vivekananda or aurobindo or krishnamurthi not rise to those levels? was it the poverty or lack of sponsors or did we really lose the interest?
    athu complicated aaya questions aaanu .. ente oru assumption spengler enna oraal the decline of the westil paranna kurach kaaryam aanu.. athil anger oru culture athinte scientific,philosophical decline kurich parayund.. athil parayunna oru kaaryam ideas athu scientific reality aayaal maatrame athinu possibility ulloo .. western philosophy sciencinte growth parallel aayirnnu.. nere marichu eastern philosophy charavka ozhichu baaki mikkathum shunyavada concept aanu .. athinte growth inverse aanu because it negates everything down the line..

vivekanda or others popular aanelum revive cheyithuloo .. original thinker aayittu enik toniyilla ..

athu complicated aaya questions aaanu .. ente oru assumption spengler enna oraal the decline of the westil paranna kurach kaaryam aanu.. athil anger oru culture athinte scientific,philosophical decline kurich parayund.. athil parayunna oru kaaryam ideas athu scientific reality aayaal maatrame athinu possibility ulloo .. western philosophy sciencinte growth parallel aayirnnu.. nere marichu eastern philosophy charavka ozhichu baaki mikkathum shunyavada concept aanu .. athinte growth inverse aanu because it negates everything down the line.. vivekanda or others popular aanelum revive cheyithuloo .. original thinker aayittu enik toniyilla ..
    yes. i agree with that. right from the era of the atomists, western philosophy has walked right beside scientific growth. but what struck me was, western philosophy has been classified into the philosophies of epistemology, ethics and logic. all philosophers fall under this. in eastern philosophy, all of this falls under buddhist philosophy. i mean, shunyata is a buddhist concept similar to gorgia's sophist philosophy of 'nothing exists'. concepts like being, not-being, existence, idealism, skepticism, all of these can be found in buddhism. schopenhauer and nietzsche have openly advocated their praise for buddhism. even from hellenestic period, plato's idealism which found its fruition in immanuel kant's transcendentalism is supposed to be madhyamaka buddhist thought. greek philosophy of 'our senses forming perception about a world which is far away from the reality' is basically what buddha tried to say his whole life. husserl's phenomenology finds parallels between socrates and buddha. but then husserl gave prominence to transcendental ego which was later rejected by sartre just like buddhism rejected the concept of the soul centuries ago. heidegger's dasein is basically the buddhist shunyata concept of emptiness except that the german went back to it centuries later. his works are basically the western version of zen buddhism.

sometimes i wonder, whatever western philosophy took centuries to ponder and come to terms to, buddhism had already done it centuries ago. but the drawback was, buddhism in particular and all of eastern philosophy in general, it is shrouded under mysticism. i mean, you have monks and spiritual teachers who take their thoughts and go to a some secluded spot and pass it only to those who go towards them. whereas western philosophy walked out into the streets, walked out to the common man with debates and lectures. each generation would have a thinker who would agree to most of what his predecessor thought and then add on to it with his own genuine findings. eastern philosophy never had that. we kept spinning around what was there from the beginning, but then, that was all there was or still is to it. i sincerely hope eastern philosophers step out of the concept of the 'not-being' and 'self' and instead give a little more importance to the concept of 'being' and the 'becoming' which is what western philosophy is all about and which might be what present day living is all about.
    Last edited by Perumthachan; 08-21-2020 at 05:30 PM.

11. Likes jordan liked this post

yes. i agree with that. right from the era of the atomists, western philosophy has walked right beside scientific growth. but what struck me was, western philosophy has been classified into the philosophies of epistemology, ethics and logic. all philosophers fall under this. in eastern philosophy, all of this falls under buddhist philosophy. i mean, shunyata is a buddhist concept similar to gorgia's sophist philosophy of 'nothing exists'. concepts like being, not-being, existence, idealism, skepticism, all of these can be found in buddhism. schopenhauer and nietzsche have openly advocated their praise for buddhism. even from hellenestic period, plato's idealism which found its fruition in immanuel kant's transcendentalism is supposed to be madhyamaka buddhist thought. greek philosophy of 'our senses forming perception about a world which is far away from the reality' is basically what buddha tried to say his whole life. husserl's phenomenology finds parallels between socrates and buddha. but then husserl gave prominence to transcendental ego which was later rejected by sartre just like buddhism rejected the concept of the soul centuries ago. heidegger's dasein is basically the buddhist shunyata concept of emptiness except that the german went back to it centuries later. his works are basically the western version of zen buddhism.

sometimes i wonder, whatever western philosophy took centuries to ponder and come to terms to, buddhism had already done it centuries ago. but the drawback was, buddhism in particular and all of eastern philosophy in general, it is shrouded under mysticism. i mean, you have monks and spiritual teachers who take their thoughts and go to a some secluded spot and pass it only to those who go towards them. whereas western philosophy walked out into the streets, walked out to the common man with debates and lectures. each generation would have a thinker who would agree to most of what his predecessor thought and then add on to it with his own genuine findings. eastern philosophy never had that. we kept spinning around what was there from the beginning, but then, that was all there was or still is to it. i sincerely hope eastern philosophers step out of the concept of the 'not-being' and 'self' and instead give a little more importance to the concept of 'being' and the 'becoming' which is what western philosophy is all about and which might be what present day living is all about.
    way o

eastern philosophy basic premise ennath way of living aayrinu its for the individual , nere marichu western philosphy doubt aanu right from heraclitus says " you cannot step on same river twice " , its for man's place in the system .. athu kondagum eastern philoshophy eternal questions answer parayumbol western philosophy metaphysical groundil ninnum maatram athine tackle cheyunnu, athinte result aanu westernil rejection of religion,acceptance of reason and finally nowdays questioning of humanism ..

western philosophy and eastern parallel oru paadu undengilum , eastern philosophy maatram aanu liberatione kurich parayunth athu kondaanu individual levelil aalkaar athu ippozhum explore cheyyaan ulla kaaranavum ..

13. Likes Perumthachan liked this post