View Poll Results: Which player(s) will win another Grandslam titile?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer

16 66.67%
  • Rafael Nadal

9 37.50%
  • Serena Williams

10 41.67%
  • Maria sharapova

3 12.50%
  • Caroline Wozniacki

1 4.17%
  • victoria Azarenka

3 12.50%
  • Andy Murray

7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 518 of 519 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519 LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 5185

Thread: ►🎾★🎾 🏆 FK Tennis Court 🏆 🎾★🎾◄ New Year, New CHALLENGES

Wu Yibing makes tennis history by becoming the first Chinese player to win an ATP title | CNN

Wu rises to world number 58 in the rankings after his sensational performances in Dallas.

Wu Yibing made history Sunday, beating John Isner in a thrilling three-set final at the Dallas Open to become the first man from China to win an ATP title.
    Wu, 23, held off four match points before going on to secure a 6-7(4-7) 7-6(7-3) 7-6(14-12) win over American Isner, a man with 16 titles, in just under three hours.
    Before his run to the final, no Chinese man had ever reached a tour-level final in the professional era or defeated a top-10 opponent.
    In beating world number eight and top seed Taylor Fritz in the semifinals, the Hangzhou native had already made his mark in the history books by achieving both those feats.
    And on Monday he continue to set records when he rose to world number 58 in the rankings, making him the highest-ranked Chinese player in ATP history.
    “I made history here for my country and for my home,” said Wu at the trophy ceremony. “I’m very proud of myself and especially thanks to all the fans and my team who came here to support. I couldn’t do this without any of you guys.”
    The big serving Isner served a remarkable 44 aces in the match, which lasted two hours and 59 minutes.

Wu is making history for his country in tennis.

In the final tiebreak, 22 consecutive points went with serve before Wu forced Isner to hit a forehand long.
    “I don’t know how many match points I had, I’m sure it’s a lot,” said Isner. “I swear I thought I won the match a few times … Sports can be brutal.
    “He is an unbelievable ballstriker and a very good talent.”
    Prior to this week, Wu – who had not competed on the tour from March 2019 to January 2022 because of injuries – had won just six tour-level matches.
    In Dallas, he beat a series of high-caliber players in Michael Mmoh, Denis Shapovalov, Adrian Mannarino, Fritz and Isner.

alcaras midukkana alle. his drop shots are certainly irritating rival players to the core

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    alcaras midukkana alle. his drop shots are certainly irritating rival players to the core
    Wimbledon img eduthu

Sent from my 22021211RI using Tapatalk

4. Likes kevin liked this post

Novak Djokovic wins the US Open for his 24th Grand Slam title by beating Daniil Medvedev

Novak Djokovic kisses the championship trophy after defeating Daniil Medvedev in the men's singles final of the US Open tennis championships. (AP photo)
    NEW DELHI: Avenging his defeat to the Russian in the final two years ago, Novak Djokovic defeated Daniil Medvedev in straight sets on Sunday to win his fourth US Open and a record-tying 24th Grand Slam singles championship.
    The 36-year-old Djokovic defeated his opponent 6-3, 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 to win, tying Margaret Court for the most Grand Slam victories in Open history and becoming the oldest men's champion in New York ever.
    "I don't know where to start. It obviously means the world to me," said Djokovic, wearing a white jacket with the number 24 on his chest during the trophy presentation.
    "It's hard to describe. I'm really living my childhood dream to compete at the highest level in this sport."
    "I never imagined I would be here talking about 24 Slams."

The Serbian is the first man to win three Grand Slam events in the same season four times, crowning his impending return to world number one in the most fitting of ways inside Arthur Ashe Stadium.
    His only loss was a five-set loss against Carlos Alcaraz in the Wimbledon final in July, adding to prior victories at the Australian and French Opens this year.

"First of all I want to ask Novak: What are you still doing here? Come on!" quipped Medvedev, beaten for the fourth time in five Grand Slam finals.
    "I don't know when you are planning to slow down a little bit.
    "I mean, 24. I feel like I have not a bad career and I have 20 titles. You have 24 Grand Slams. Wow."
    Medvedev defeated Djokovic in straight sets in the 2021 final to prevent the Serbian from becoming the first man to win all four Grand Slams in the same year since Rod Laver in 1969.

Djokovic admitted to feeling overwhelmed on that occasion, but there was little evidence of nerves as he quickly took command of Sunday's championship match.
    The second seed burst out of the gate with a confident hold sealed by successive aces and struck at the first opportunity, punishing Medvedev for a double-fault to break for a 2-0 lead.
    “First of all, Novak, I want to ask: What are you still doing here?” Medvedev joked during the trophy presentation.

A third ace consolidated his advantage before Medvedev got on the board in the fourth game.
    The pair traded holds largely untroubled until Djokovic again put pressure on Medvedev as the third seed served down 2-5.
    Medvedev dug in to twice stave off set points, but Djokovic calmly made the set his the following game.
    Medvedev dethroned last year's champion Alcaraz with a "12 out of 10" performance in the semi-finals, but he struggled to replicate his very best consistently against an imperious Djokovic.

Attempting to be the first player to beat the top two seeds en route to the title since 1975, Medvedev once more repeatedly found himself under the pump early in the second set.
    He was able to resist, hitting a sweeping volley to fight off break point as he secured a gutsy hold for 4-3 before finally asking questions of Djokovic.
    A leaping overhead gave Medvedev his first break chance of the contest the very next game, but Djokovic responded with a brilliant scoop on the half-volley to save it.
    Djokovic wobbled serving at 5-6, double-faulting twice as Medvedev brought up set point. But Djokovic was waiting as Medvedev went cross-court, and put away the volley to force a tie-break.

After winning an incredible rally to go up 5-4, Medvedev appeared to be in control of the match. However, Djokovic won the next three games, seizing the 104-minute second set and edging closer to an unprecedented victory.
    After Medvedev awkwardly fell early in the third set, Djokovic volunteered to help him stand up, but when two break points came up shortly after, there was no such generosity.
    Medvedev gave Djokovic a 3-1 lead by pumping a long backhand. He immediately returned the break, but Medvedev stumbled once more, and Djokovic won the match without error before the tears started to flow.

His exemplary movement good as ever, every stroke just so, Djokovic came out as his best self. He grabbed 12 of the first 16 points - three via aces perfectly placed, and with pace, and four via exchanges that lasted 10 strokes or more - along the way to leads of 3-0 and 4-1.
    Medvedev, in contrast, seemed tight, jittery, the looping swings of his white racket breaking down repeatedly, whether on a trio of double-faults in the opening set or during the lengthier points, other than on one 37-shot back-and-forth that ended when Djokovic blinked, stumbling as he flubbed a backhand.

Beyond that, though, Djokovic was as reliable as a metronome, anticipating nearly everything headed his way and scurrying this way and that to retrieve and respond, as is his wont.

Novak... What a champion

Two-time Grand Slam winner Simona Halep slapped with four-year ban in doping case

Romania's tennis ace Simona Halep has been suspended for four years in a doping case.

Romania's star tennis player Simona Halep has been banned from playing professional tennis for a period of four years due to doping violations, informed the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) on Tuesday, September 12. As per the ITIA, the two-time Grand Slam champion Halep was accused of two doping offences - failing a drug test during the US Open 2022 and certain irregularities in her Athlete Biological Passport.

The 31-year-old was provisionally suspended earlier in October 2022 and her newly announced suspension will run till October 6, 2026. However, the former world No. 1 is musing over the decision to appeal the suspension to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

“I am continuing to train and do everything in my power to clear my name of these false allegations and return to the court,” Halep said in a statement as reported by PTI.
    Halep is also willing to “pursue all legal remedies against the supplement company in question."
    The ITIA announced the suspension after listening to the Romanian star and her expert scientific witnesses as it found the player guilty of committing both offences.
    “The tribunal accepted Halep's argument that they had taken a contaminated supplement, but determined the volume the player ingested could not have resulted in the concentration of Roxadustat found in the positive sample,” the ITIA said as reported by PTI.

Halep was crowned world No. 1 in 2017 and played arguably the best tennis of her professional career when she won her first Grand Slam after beating Sloane Stephens in the final of the French Open in 2018 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Her prolific run continued in 2019 when she overpowered USA's gun tennis player Serena Williams in the final of Wimbledon. Halep won the contest 6-2, 6-2.

Swiatek wins WTA Finals, regains world number one ranking

Nov 6 (Reuters) - Iga Swiatek dominated American Jessica Pegula 6-1 6-0 to win the season-ending WTA Finals in Cancun on Monday and regain her world number one ranking from Aryna Sabalenka.
    The Pole broke Pegula five times and won the final 11 games in a 59-minute slaughter to capture her first WTA Finals title in a match delayed by a day due to rain.
    "I want to thank my team who have been with me for the whole season," Swiatek said during the trophy ceremony.

"We've had many ups and downs but this is for sure an up, and we'll have many more if we keep working like that."
    She also thanked the fans that endured countless rain delays and gusting winds over the course of the event at the coastal Mexican resort town.
    "Thank you guys for coming and cheering for us, you really made it special," she said.
    "Thank you for all these Polish flags and Polish people who are coming to every tournament and those from many countries. Every year I feel like I have more and more support."

Swiatek came into the tournament red hot having won last month's China Open and never dropped a set over the course of her five matches at the event, which brings together the top eight players in the world.
    Swiatek ends the season on an 11-match winning streak and will finish the year in the top spot for the second year in a row, having lost the position to Sabalenka after the U.S. Open.
    Swiatek, 22, collected six out of her total 17 career titles this season. She retained the French Open crown in June to lift her fourth Grand Slam trophy.

The 29-year-old Pegula, who struggled on her serve and failed to match Swiatek's energy level, was gracious in defeat.
    "Congrats on ending the year number one and winning this tournament, it's really incredible" she said.
    "You continue to push me to be a better player and I appreciate that aspect of it. I wish I could have done better today but that's not how it goes sometimes."

Rohan Bopanna becomes oldest tennis world number one aged 43

India's Rohan Bopanna will become the oldest tennis world number one aged 43 after he and Matthew Ebden reached the Australian Open doubles semi-finals.
    Bopanna and Australian Ebden beat Argentine pair Maximo Gonzalez and Andres Molteni 6-4 7-6 (7-5).
    It is the first time Bopanna has reached the top of the world rankings.
    "People all over the world, you know, being 40 and above, I think it's just going to inspire them in a different way," he said.
    Bopanna and Ebden will face Tomas Machac and Zhang Zhizhen in the last four in Melbourne.

Bopanna became the oldest ATP Masters 1,000 champion when he and Ebden won the Indian Wells doubles title in March last season.
    He turned professional in 2003 and has won one Grand Slam mixed doubles title alongside Canada's Gabriela Dabrowski at the 2017 French Open.
    Bopanna credited his physiotherapist and Iyengar yoga with helping his longevity.
    "I told her [physio] specifically what I needed, because I have no cartilage in my knees. It's completely worn out," Bopanna said.
    "Yoga in a way not only strengthened my legs, my body, but also, I think made me calmer on the tennis court.
    "It kind of really helped me focus a lot better. I don't feel rushed on the tennis court."
    Bopanna will move to the top of the world rankings when they are updated on Monday. He and Ebden have the same number of points, but the Australian has played three more tournaments over the same period.

The previous oldest men's doubles number one was Mike Bryan, who was 41 years and 76 days.
    Serena Williams is the oldest women's singles number one at 35, while Roger Federer is the oldest men's singles number one at 36. Novak Djokovic, who is the same age, could likely pass that record this year.

Australian Open: Rohan Bopanna comes of age!

Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden celebrate with the trophy.

Wins his first Grand Slam title at 43, making him the oldest ever to achieve the feat
    MELBOURNE: Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden were laughing hysterically as they fell on their backs at the Rod Laver Arena. They lay there for a bit, looking up at the starlit Melbourne sky, before getting back on their feet for a signature chest bump.
    Bopanna-now the oldest men's doubles Grand Slam champion in history-and Ebden clinched the Australian Open men's doubles title with a 7-6 (7-0), 7-5 win over the Italian pairing of Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori on Saturday.

"What an amazing tournament," Ebden said, not wasting a moment in applauding his partner, the tournament's feel-good story. "Thanks to my partner Rohan. He's 43 years old and this is his first men's Grand Slam doubles win. Age truly is not a number for this guy. He's young at heart, he's a champion, he's a warrior."
    Bopanna typically started his speech with, 'good evening everyone'. The Kodava then paid tribute to Melbourne Park, saying, "For me to win the Australian Open, the Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific, with an Australian partner is like winning the home Slam."
    Bopanna, who reached out to his wife Supriya and daughter Tridha, added "I want to thank my coach Scott Davidoff, he's been with me for over a decade, and he has never stopped believing. It's been a tough, tough journey. This victory is as much mine as it is yours, Scotty."

The Indian felt the weight go off his shoulders the moment he closed out the match. "You don't think of how you're going to celebrate. At first, I was just thinking, don't miss that smash. It was probably the easiest smash on match point ever," the 43-year-old said of the biggest day of his sporting life. "It was a huge relief, especially in my case. For years and years I've been trying to get there. But to still be at it, working day in, day out and getting rewarded is great."
    Ebden said: "I saw him collapse, and then I was, like, oh, yeah, I'm going to lie down and just enjoy this moment too. Yeah, a special moment. I saw the smash go up for a sitter, I was, like, oh, this is over. These are the moments we play for. We'd be lying if we said we weren't happy, excited, wanting to win the big titles."

Bopanna and Ebden, in mismatched outfits and coordinated, well-oiled approach, played a flawless tie-breaker to take the first set, where neither team broke serve for 51 minutes. The first and only break of the final came in the 11th game of the second set when the 28-year-old Vavassori was broken at love, leaving Ebden to serve out the match for the No. 2 seeds.