View Poll Results: Which player(s) will win another Grandslam titile?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer

16 66.67%
  • Rafael Nadal

9 37.50%
  • Serena Williams

10 41.67%
  • Maria sharapova

3 12.50%
  • Caroline Wozniacki

1 4.17%
  • victoria Azarenka

3 12.50%
  • Andy Murray

7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 519 of 519 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519
Results 5,181 to 5,185 of 5185

Thread: ►🎾★🎾 🏆 FK Tennis Court 🏆 🎾★🎾◄ New Year, New CHALLENGES

Australian Open men's final 2024: Jannik Sinner beats Daniil Medvedev in Melbourne final

Jannik Sinner is the youngest player to win the Australian Open men's title since Novak Djokovic in 2008

Jannik Sinner landed the Grand Slam title he has long promised with an extraordinary fightback to beat Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open final.
    Italy's Sinner, 22, trailed by two sets before recovering to win 3-6 3-6 6-4 6-4 6-3 in his first major final.
    Fourth seed Sinner initially could not cope with the Russian's pace but imposed himself as the contest wore on.
    It was another bitter experience for Medvedev, who also blew a two-set lead against Rafael Nadal in the 2022 final.
    A first-time champion in Melbourne was guaranteed after Sinner knocked out 10-time winner Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.
    Sinner ensured his name goes on the trophy - fulfilling the talent that many had predicted would lead to a Grand Slam triumph - after an courageous comeback in a match lasting almost four hours.
    "It feels great. I just have to process it, I guess, how it feels the first time," Sinner told Australia's Channel Nine.
    "It has been a hell of a journey even if I'm still only 22."

Third seed Medvedev, 27, has lost five of his six major finals, including ones against Djokovic in 2021 and Nadal in 2022 at Melbourne Park.
    Sinner clinched victory with a forehand winner down the line, falling to his back on the baseline in celebration.
    Medvedev trudged around the net to offer his congratulations before Sinner thumped his heart on his way to celebrate with his team.
    Looking disconsolate as he tried to process the loss while sitting on his chair, Medvedev managed to give a thumbs-up to the crowd when they applauded his efforts.
    "It hurts to lose in the final but probably being in the final is better than losing before," said Medvedev, who set a record for the most time spent on court at a Grand Slam tournament with 24 hours and 17 minutes.
    "I always want to win and I guess I have to try harder next time."

Australian Open: Super Sabalenka retains title

CROWNING GLORY: Aryna Sabalenka kisses the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Defending champion routs China's Zheng in women's singles final
    MELBOURNE: For a good part of the 76-minute Australian Open final, there was just one player on Rod Laver Arena - Aryna Sabalenka. On a windswept evening that was steadily building up, Sabalenka was swinging and stinging.
    The world No. 2 defended her title with a 6-3, 6-2 win over the 21-year-old Chinese Qinwen Zheng, a first-time Grand Slam finalist.Sabalenka is the first player since compatriot Victoria Azarenka (in 2012-13) to claim the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup for consecutive seasons.

Fittingly the statuesque Belarusian was presented the trophy by the incomparable Evonne Goolagong Cawley.
    "Thanks Evonne for being such an inspiration," Sabalenka said. "It has been an amazing couple of weeks for me, it is an unbelievable feeling right now."
    Sabalenka then bit back her emotions when she said, "I never speak about my family in my winning speeches. I love you so much, you're my biggest motivation. I'm doing it for you."
    The 25-year-old also applauded her younger opponent. " I want to say to Zheng, you're such an incredible player, such a young girl. I know it is disappointing to lose a final, but you'll get there."
    Zheng said, "This is my first final and I'm feeling a little bit pity. I feel I could have done better, but I didn't in this match. I'm sure there is going to be more and better in the future."

Chinese fans had turned up in large numbers and were peppered across the Rod Laver Arena - flag-waving and wildly cheering. 'Jiayou' they shouted at every opportunity, a Chinese expression of encouragement and support.
    Sabalenka plays to her own drummer, her game is about knockout power, serve and strokes. She's hard to sidetrack when she's in control. The second seed got off to a 3-0 start in the first set and in the second she led 2-0. Zheng was serving in the third game when two protesters with a Palestinian flag shouting, 'Free Palestine' held up play for a couple of minutes.
    Zheng, who will make her Top-10 debut on Monday at No. 7, closed out the game, but Sabalenka, who did not drop a set all fortnight, didn't take her leg off the pedal.

Seven tennis facts that sound fake, but are real: Novak Djokovic hasn’t won a set on grass against Andy Murray

This one is for the tennis fanatics who love their facts and statistics.
    One of the quirkiest, but most well-known facts in tennis is that the longest tennis match in history took 11 hours and five minutes to complete with the clash taking place at Wimbledon in 2010.
    That match, of course, took place over three days with John Isner beating Nicohals Mahut 6–4, 3–6, 6–7 (7–9), 7–6 (7–3), 70–68 with the final set alone lasting more than eight hours.

Another interesting record from the match is the fact that both players served more than 100 aces with Isner edging his French opponent 113-103.
    But, as mentioned before, most of those facts are well-known so let’s look at seven other weird tennis facts that sound like it is fake, but are true.

1. Novak Djokovic hasn’t won a set on grass against Andy Murray

It is hard to believe, but Andy Murray is 5-0 in terms of sets against Novak Djokovic on grass and that is mostly down to the fact that they have played only two matches against each other on the surface.
    That is a bizarre stat in itself when you consider they have faced each other 36 times in top-level tennis.
    Murray won their first-ever match on grass at the 2012 London Olympics as he beat Djokovic 7-5, 7-5 and the following year he stunned the Serbian 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 in the Wimbledon final.
    And that was the last time they met on the surface.

2. David Nalbandian’s Big Three wins in consecutive matches

Argentine David Nalbandian won the 2007 Madrid Open and, in the process, he created a bit of history as he is the only player to beat the Big Three of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in three consecutive matches.

Nalbandian defeated Nadal 6-1, 6-2 in the quarter-final then dismissed Djokovic 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) in the semi-final before beating Federer 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the final.
    The Argentine, though, is not the only player to beat the top three players in the world in consecutive matches as Djokovic himself defeated Federer, Nadal and Andy Roddick en route to winning the 2007 Rogers Cup while Boris Becker achieved a similar feat in 1994.

3. Richard Gasquet is 0-45 in sets against Nadal, Federer and Djokovic at Grand Slams

French veteran Richard Gasquet has faced Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic on 15 different occasions at Grand Slams and he hasn’t won a single set against the Big Three.
    Gasquet is 0-18 against Nadal in six matches, 0-15 against Federer in five matches and 0-12 against Djokovic in four matches.

4. Serena Williams won 16 Grand Slams before winning a WTA 250 event

Serena Williams won her maiden Tier III/International/ WTA 250 title at the 2013 Swedish Open and by that stage she was already a 16-time Grand Slam winner.

The tennis great finished her career with 73 titles, but only two came at International/WTA 250 events. The second of those was also her last title in tennis at the 2020 Auckland Open.

5. David Ferrer didn’t beat a top-four player in any of his 27 ATP title runs

Former world No 3 David Ferrer won 27 ATP Tour singles titles, but at no stage during those 27 title runs did he beat a top-four player en route to lifting the title.
    In fact, at 25 of the 27 tournaments there was no Big Four player in the draw. The only time there were a Big Four player in the draw was at Valencia 2010 when Andy Murray lost in the second round and at the Paris Masters in 2012 when Murray and Djokovic lost early.

6. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal’s US Open anomaly

Fedal faced each other 14 times at Grand Slams over the years, but not a single one of those appearances came at the US Open.
    Strange, but true.
    Andy Murray denied fans a Fedal final in 2008 when he beat Nadal in the semi-final and the following year Juan Martin del Potro first defeated Nadal in the last four before beating Federer in the final.

7. Chris Evert reached the semi-final in 52 out of 56 Grand Slams

The great Chris Evert played in 56 Grand Slams and in 52 of those she reached at least the semi-final.
    The only four times that she failed to reach the last four were at Wimbledon 1983 (third round), US Open in 1987 (quarter-final), French Open in 1988 (third round) and the 1989 US Open (quarter-final).
    Evert won 18 Grand Slams and finished runner-up at another 16 majors.

Sumit Nagal wins Chennai Open, set to enter top-100

Sumit Nagal wins Chennai Open, set to enter top-100

NEW DELHI: Sumit Nagal, India's top singles player, secured his fifth Challenger-level singles title on Sunday by defeating Italian Luca Nardi in the final of the Chennai Open.
    This victory is expected to propel Nagal into the top-100 rankings for the first time in his career.

The 6-1, 6-4 win is anticipated to take him to the 98th spot when the updated rankings are released on Monday.
    This achievement makes Nagal the first Indian to break into the singles top-100 since Prajnesh Gunneswaran achieved this feat in 2019.
    Nagal has had an impressive start to the 2024 season, notably qualifying for the Australian Open main draw and causing an upset by defeating top-30 player Alexander Bublik in the first round.
    His performance at the Chennai Open was exceptional, winning the title without dropping a set.
    "I'm very emotional (today). You know, every tennis player's dream is to be top 100 at least. And like I said earlier, to win this match in front of the home crowd in your own country, I don't think I could have asked for a better place," Nagal said after his victory.
    "I don't think there were words, everyone was crying. Less words, more tears.

"I'm still very emotional. It's been very tough last year with being ranked 500, getting surgery done, not having financial support.
    "A lot of ups and downs, you know. And I'm very happy that I found a way to push every single day and give myself a chance to be here," he added.
    Nagal also hoped this win will inspire aspiring athletes to pursue a career in singles tennis.
    "We'd love to see more people playing the Slams, but I hope this win can push more people to pursue career in singles as well," he said.
    It has been a terrific start to the 2024 season for the 26-year-old Indian, who qualified for the Australian Open main draw and knocked out top-30 player Alexander Bublik in the first round.
    "I am happy with the way I am controlling myself and the zone I am in. I think it is very important for a tennis player because sport is very important.
    "Once you step on the court, it is just you. And if you are not in the right mindset, or if you are not seeing the right things, it is very tough to change things on the court," he said.