View Poll Results: Which player(s) will win another Grandslam titile?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer

16 66.67%
  • Rafael Nadal

9 37.50%
  • Serena Williams

10 41.67%
  • Maria sharapova

3 12.50%
  • Caroline Wozniacki

1 4.17%
  • victoria Azarenka

3 12.50%
  • Andy Murray

7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 505 of 519 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 5185

Thread: ►🎾★🎾 🏆 FK Tennis Court 🏆 🎾★🎾◄ New Year, New CHALLENGES

Grigor Dimitrov Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Week After Playing In Novak Djokovic Event

Grigor Dimitrov said Sunday he has tested positive for coronavirus, just a week after he played an exhibition tournament alongside world number one Novak Djokovic.

Highlights

• Grigor Dimitrov said Sunday he has tested positive for coronavirus
    • World No.19 Dimitrov took to Instagram to share this news with his fans
    • Last weekend, Dimitrov took part in the Adria Tour event with Djokovic

Grigor Dimitrov said Sunday he has tested positive for coronavirus, just a week after he played an exhibition tournament alongside world number one Novak Djokovic. "I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19," world number 19 Dimitrov wrote on Instagram. Last weekend, Dimitrov took part in the Adria Tour event in Belgrade with Djokovic, world number three Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev, ranked 17.
    He also played in the second leg of the Balkans tournament in Zadar on Croatia's Adriatic coast on Saturday.
    However, he withdrew after losing to Borna Coric, complaining of feeling unwell.
    Later Sunday, the final between Djokovic and Russia's Andrey Rublev was immediately cancelled as a precaution.
    Zverev and former US Open winner Marin Cilic were also in the Croatia line-up.
    "I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions," added Dimitrov.
    "I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering."

After Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric diagnosed with Covid-19

Coric, a Croatian player ranked 33rd in the world, was among about 1,000 people who were tested for the virus after Grigor Dimitrov announced that he was positive. That led to the cancellation of the exhibition event in Croatia, where top-ranked Novak Djokovic was scheduled to play in the final.

Borna Coric has become the second tennis player to test positive for the coronavirus after participating in an exhibition event in Croatia.
    Coric, a Croatian player ranked 33rd in the world, was among about 1,000 people who were tested for the virus after Grigor Dimitrov announced that he was positive. That led to the cancellation of the exhibition event in Croatia, where top-ranked Novak Djokovic was scheduled to play in the final.
    Coric played a match against Dimitrov in the Adriatic resort of Zadar on Saturday in the second leg of the exhibition series.
    “Hello everyone, I want to inform you that I am positive for Covid-19. Please everyone who has been in contact with me for the last few days gets tested!” Coric posted on Twitter.

He said he was feeling well and has no symptoms.
    Dimitrov, a three-time Grand Slam semifinalist, is the highest-profile current player to say he has the virus. His announcement Sunday on his Instagram page comes at the end of a week when the U.S. Open said it would go forward.

Viktor Troicki Becomes 3rd Tennis Player At Novak Djokovic Event To Test Positive For Coronavirus |

Highlights

• Viktor Troicki tests positive for coronavirus
    • Troicki part in the tennis event featuring Novak Djokovic
    • Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric are the other 2 players to test positive

Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki have all tested positive for coronavirus after taking part in an exhibition tennis tournament in the Balkans featuring world number one Novak Djokovic, raising questions over the sport's planned return in August. Croatia's Coric, ranked 33rd in the world, revealed Monday he had tested positive for COVID-19, with Troicki confirmed to have contracted the virus several hours later. It follows Sunday's announcement by Dimitrov that he had also tested positive after pulling out of the exhibition event in Croatia, one of the biggest since the tennis season was halted because of the pandemic.
    Coric tweeted: "I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during the last few days gets tested!
    "I am really sorry for any harm I might have caused! I'm feeling well and don't have any simptoms (sic). Please stay safe and healthy!"
    One of Djokovic's coaches and another member of Dimitrov's entourage have also reportedly tested positive for the virus, according to Croatia's N1 television channel. Troicki, meanwhile, played Novak Djokovic last week in Belgrade.
    Coric had beaten Bulgaria's Dimitrov in the second leg of the Adria Tour in Zadar on Croatia's Adriatic coast on Saturday.
    Dimitrov withdrew from the Balkans tournament following that match, complaining of feeling unwell.
    Sunday's final between Djokovic, who is president of the ATP Player Council, and Russia's Andrey Rublev was immediately cancelled as a precaution.
    Australian star Nick Kyrgios pulled no punches in his reaction to Coric's tweet.
    'Not a joke'
    "Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the 'exhibition'," Kyrgios wrote on social media.
    "Speedy recovery fellas, but that's what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE."
    Britain's Andy Murray called it "a lesson for all of us".
    "Once you start having mass gatherings with people coming in from all sorts of countries, it's a recipe for it to kick off," Murray said.
    Also playing in the tournament were world number three Dominic Thiem, former US Open winner Marin Cilic, seventh-ranked Alexander Zverev and Filip Krajinovic.
    Both Zverev and Cilic later took to Twitter to say they their tests had returned negative for the virus which has killed over 465,000 people.
    "I have just received the news that my team and I have tested negative for COVID-19," Germany's Zverev wrote.
    "I deeply apologize to anyone that I have potentially put at risk by playing this tour."
    He said he would now be following "self-isolating guidelines" whilst Cilic announced his intention to quarantine for 14 days.
    Djokovic will reportedly speak to the public on Tuesday after receiving the results of his test.
    His brother, the tournament's director Djordje Djokovic, said the 17-time Grand Slam winner had taken the news of Dimitrov's result "very hard".
    Details of Coric's positive test emerged as Serbian football league champions Red Star Belgrade reported that five of their players had gone down with coronavirus just 12 days after their derby clash with Partizan Belgrade.
    The game was watched by 16,000 fans, the largest sporting gathering seen in Europe since the continent went into lockdown in March.
    The Adria Tour had been organised to fill the gap in the virus-hit tennis calendar which has been on ice since mid-March and was played out to a daily crowd of 4,000 fans at Djokovic's tennis centre on the banks of the Danube in Belgrade last week.
    Dimitrov, Djokovic and Thiem, as well as the other players, were then seen partying at a packed Belgrade night spot.
    Thiem has since travelled to the south of France to play in another exhibition tournament in Nice.
    The Adria Tour had already suffered an embarrassing setback when the planned Montenegro leg of the four-nation tournament was cancelled when it became apparent Serbia's health requirements did not match up to those of Montenegro.
    Commenting on social distancing measures during the Belgrade leg, Djokovic argued that both Serbia and the region had been relatively successful in containing the virus.
    "Of course you can criticise, you can also say this is dangerous or not, but it's not up to me to make the calls what is health-wise right or wrong," he stated.
    Last week, the ATP and WTA said they were restarting their tours in August.
    However, the US Open in New York will be played behind closed doors and under strict health protocols which Djokovic has described as "extreme" and "impossible".

Novak Djokovic tests positive for coronavirus after Adria Tour event

Novak Djokovic has tested positive for coronavirus following an exhibition event he organized in Croatia.

The Adria Tour, which took place in Zadar last weekend, has been mired in controversy after the final was canceled following Grigor Dimitrov's positive test.
    Djokovic, the world No.1 tennis star who was scheduled to play in Sunday's final, confirmed Tuesday that both he and his wife Jelena had also tested positive for Covid-19 upon returning home to Serbia, while his children's results were negative.
    Visit CNN.com/sport for more news, videos and features
    The 17-time grand slam champion said he was sorry that the tournament had caused harm and acknowledged "we were wrong and it was too soon." He said that the organizers would be sharing health resources with those who attended the events in Belgrade, Serbia, and Zadar, Croatia.
    "I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm. Everything the organizers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons. We were wrong and it was too soon. I can't express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection," he said in the statement published on his Twitter account.
    "If you attended the Adria Tour or were around any attendees please get tested and practice social distancing. For those in Belgrade and Zadar, we will be sharing health resources in the immediate future. The rest of the tournament has been canceled and we will remain focused on all those who have been affected. I pray for everyone's full recovery."

Djokovic hits a return during the Adria Tour in Zadar, Croatia.

Earlier, Djokovic defended organizing the four-stage charity event hosted in the Balkans in a statement on his website.
    "It was all born with a philanthropic idea, to direct all raised funds towards people in need and it warmed my heart to see how everybody strongly responded to this," said the tennis star.
    "We organized the tournament at the moment when the virus has weakened, believing that the conditions for hosting the Tour had been met.
    "Unfortunately, this virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with.
    "I am hoping things will ease with time so we can all resume lives the way they were. I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone's health situation and that everyone will be fine."
    Djokovic added that he would remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days and have another test in five days' time.

കോവിഡിനിടെ ടെന്നിസ്: ‘മുഖ്യ സംഘാടകൻ’ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനും ഭാര്യയ്ക്കും കോവിഡ്

അഡ്രിയ പ്രദർശന ടൂ*ർണമെന്റിലെ താരങ്ങൾക്കും വൊളന്റിയേഴ്സിനുമൊപ്പം ഫോട്ടോയ്ക്കു പോസ് ചെയ്യുന്ന നൊവാക് ജോക്കോവിച്ച് (നടുവിൽ). ശാരീരിക അകലം പാലിക്കാതെയാണ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് നടത്തിയതെന്ന വിമർശനം ശരിവയ്ക്കുന്നതാണ് ഈ ചിത്രം.ബൽഗ്രേഡ് ∙ കായികലോകത്തെ പിടിച്ചുകുലുക്കി ലോക ഒന്നാം നമ്പർ ടെന്നിസ് താരം സെർബിയയുടെ നൊവാക് ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനു കോവിഡ് *സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചു. ക്രൊയേഷ്യയിലും സെർബിയയിലുമായി സംഘടിപ്പിച്ച അഡ്രിയ പ്രദർശന ടൂ*ർണമെന്റിൽ പങ്കെടുത്തവരിൽ കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിക്കുന്ന 4–ാമത്തെ താരമാണു ജോക്കോവിച്ച്.
    ക്രൊയേഷ്യൻ താരമായ ബോർന കോറിച്, ബൾഗേറിയയുടെ ഗ്രിഗർ ദിമിത്രോവ്, സെർബിയൻ താരം വിക്ടർ ട്രോയ്ക്കി എന്നിവർക്കു നേരത്തേ രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചിരുന്നു. ലോകത്ത് കോവിഡ് വ്യാപനം തുടങ്ങിയതിനുശേഷം രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിക്കുന്ന ഏറ്റവും പ്രശസ്തനായ കായികതാരമാണു ജോക്കോ. ഇതിനിടെ, കോവിഡ് കാലത്തു ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിച്ചു സഹതാരങ്ങൾക്കും തനിക്കും രോഗം പടരാൻ കാരണമായി എന്ന ‘ഡബിൾ ഫോൾട്ട്’ വരുത്തിയ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനെതിരെ ശക്തമായ വിമർശനം ഉയർന്നു കഴിഞ്ഞു.
    ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ ഭാര്യ യെലേനയ്ക്കും രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്. കോവിഡ് ലക്ഷണങ്ങളൊന്നും ഇല്ലായിരുന്നെങ്കിലും ബൽഗ്രേഡിൽ എത്തിയ ഉടൻ താനും കുടുംബാംഗങ്ങളും പരിശോധന നടത്തുകയായിരുന്നെന്നും തന്റെ കുട്ടികളുടെ ഫലം നെഗറ്റീവാണെന്നും ജോക്കോ പ്രസ്താവനയിൽ അറിയിച്ചു. അടുത്ത 14 ദിവസത്തേക്കു ക്വാറന്റീനിൽ കഴിയുകയും 5–ാം ദിവസം വീണ്ടും പരിശോധന നടത്തുകയും ചെയ്യും.

ക്രൊയേഷ്യയിലും സെർബിയയിലും കോവിഡ് നിയന്ത്രണങ്ങളിൽ കാര്യമായ ഇളവു നൽകിയിരുന്നതിനാൽ, പ്രദർശന മത്സരങ്ങൾക്കിടയിൽ ജോക്കോവിച്ച് ഉൾപ്പെടെയുള്ള താരങ്ങൾ ശാരീരിക അകലം പാലിച്ചിരുന്നില്ല. താരങ്ങൾ ആലിംഗനം ചെയ്യുന്നതിന്റെയും ഒരുമിച്ചു നൃത്തം ചെയ്യുന്നതിന്റെയും വിഡിയോയും സമൂഹമാധ്യമങ്ങളിലൂടെ പുറത്തുവന്നിട്ടുമുണ്ട്. മത്സരങ്ങൾ കാണാൻ ഒട്ടേറെപ്പേർ എത്തിയിരുന്നതും ആശങ്ക വർധിപ്പിക്കുന്നു. അ**ഡ്രിയ പരമ്പരയിലെ ശേഷിക്കുന്ന മത്സരങ്ങൾ റദ്ദാക്കി.

∙ കോവിഡ് കാലത്തു പ്രതിസന്ധിയിലായ താരങ്ങളെ സഹായിക്കുകയെന്ന സദുദ്ദേശ്യത്തോടെയാണ*ു പ്രദർശന മത്സരങ്ങൾ സംഘടിപ്പിച്ചത്. രോഗം ബാധിച്ച എല്ലാ താരങ്ങളോടും മാപ്പു ചോദിക്കുന്നു. എല്ലാവരുടെയും നില മെച്ചപ്പെടുമെന്നു ശുഭപ്രതീക്ഷയുണ്ട്
    –നൊവാക് ജോക്കോവിച്ച്

കളി, നിശാപാർട്ടി, ഒടുവിൽ ‘കോവിഡ് ബോംബ്’; താൻ കുഴിച്ച കുഴിയിൽ ജോക്കോ

ബൽഗ്രേഡ് ∙ ആത്മവിശ്വാസവും കഴിവുംകൊണ്ട് ടെന്നിസ് ലോകം കീഴടക്കിയ താരമാണ് സെർബിയയുടെ നൊവാക് ജോക്കോവിച്ച്. ലോക ടെന്നിസിൽ നിലവിലെ ഒന്നാം നമ്പർ താരം. ഇതേ ആത്മവിശ്വാസം (അതോ അമിത ആത്മവിശ്വാസമോ?) ക്രൂരമായി ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനെ തിരിച്ചടിക്കുന്ന കാഴ്ചയാണ് ഇപ്പോൾ ടെന്നിസ് ലോകത്ത്. കോവിഡ് വ്യാപനത്തിന്റെ തീരാദുരിതങ്ങൾക്കിടെ ടെന്നിസ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിച്ച് വിവാദത്തിൽ ചാടിയിരിക്കുകയാണ് താരം. കളിക്കാരുടെ ശരീരക്ഷമത നിലനിർത്താനെന്ന പേരിൽ ബാൾക്കൻ രാജ്യങ്ങൾ കേന്ദ്രീകരിച്ച് ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ നേതൃത്വത്തിൽ സംഘടിപ്പിച്ച അഡ്രിയ പ്രദർശന ടെന്നിസ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് അക്ഷരാർഥത്തിൽ ഒരു ‘കോവിഡ് ബോംബാ’യി മാറിയിരിക്കുന്നു.

അയേഷസെർബിയ ഉൾപ്പെടുന്ന ബാൾക്കൻ പ്രദേശത്ത് കോവിഡ് അത്ര ഗുരുതരമല്ല എന്ന ന്യായത്തോടെയാണ് ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ നേതൃത്വത്തിൽ ടൂർണമെന്റ് നടത്തിയത്. ഇതിൽ പങ്കെടുത്ത നാലു താരങ്ങൾക്കാണ് ഇതിനകം കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചത്. ബൾഗേറിയയുടെ ഗ്രിഗർ ദിമിത്രോവ്, ക്രൊയേഷ്യയുടെ ബോർന കൊറിച്ച്, ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ നാട്ടുകാരൻ കൂടിയായ വിക്ടർ ട്രോയിസ്കി എന്നിവരാണ് ആദ്യത്തെ മൂന്നുപേർ. ഇവർക്കുപിന്നാലെ ‘താൻ കുഴിച്ച കുഴിയിൽ താൻതന്നെ’ എന്ന പഴഞ്ചൊല്ലിനെ അനുസ്മരിപ്പിച്ച് ടൂർണമെന്റിന്റെ മുഖ്യ സംഘാടകൻ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനും ഇതാ രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. തനിക്കും ഭാര്യ യെലേനയ്*ക്കും രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചതായി ജോക്കോവിച്ച് തന്നെയാണ് അറിയിച്ചത്.
    ജോക്കോവിച്ചും സഹതാരങ്ങളും ടൂർണമെന്റിനിടെ.ടൂർണമെന്റിന്റെ രണ്ടാം പാദം നടന്ന ക്രൊയേഷ്യയിലെ സദറിൽനിന്ന് ബെൽഗ്രേഡിൽ തിരിച്ചെത്തിയ ഉടന്* ജോക്കോവിച്ചും ഭാര്യയും കോവിഡ് പരിശോധനയ്ക്ക് വിധേയരാവുകയായിരുന്നു. ഗ്രിഗർ ദിമിത്രോവിന് കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചതോടെ ടൂർണമെന്റ് ഉപേക്ഷിച്ചിരുന്നു. കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ച മറ്റു മൂന്നുപേർ സദറിൽത്തന്നെ തുടർന്നപ്പോൾ, ജോക്കോവിച്ചും ഭാര്യയും ടൂർണമെന്റിന്റെ സംഘാടകർക്കൊപ്പം സെർബിയയിലേക്കു മടങ്ങി. നാട്ടിലെത്തിയശേഷമാണ് ഇരുവരും കോവിഡ് പരിശോധനയ്ക്ക് വിധേയരായത്. തനിക്കും ഭാര്യയ്ക്കും വൈറസ് ബാധ സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചതായി അറിയിച്ച ജോക്കോവിച്ച്, മക്കളുടെ പരിശോധനാ ഫലം നെഗറ്റീവാണെന്നും വ്യക്തമാക്കി.
    ലോക ഒന്നാം നമ്പർ താരം കൂടിയായ ജോക്കോവിച്ച് ഉൾപ്പെടെ നാലു പേർക്ക് രോഗം സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചതോടെ ഗ്രാൻസ്*ലാം ഉൾപ്പെടെയുള്ള ടെന്നിസ് ടൂർണമെന്റുകൾ പുനഃരാരംഭിക്കുന്ന കാര്യം വീണ്ടും സംശയത്തിലായി. ഓഗസ്റ്റ് 31 മുതൽ യുഎസ് ഓപ്പണും സെപ്റ്റംബർ 27 മുതൽ ഫ്രഞ്ച് ഓപ്പണും പുനഃരാരംഭിക്കാനുള്ള തയാറെടുപ്പിലായിരുന്നു എടിപിയും ഡബ്ല്യുടിഎയും.

∙ ടെന്നിസ് മാത്രമല്ല, നിശാ പാർട്ടിയും!
    കോവിഡ് വ്യാപനത്തിനിടെ വിവിധ രാജ്യങ്ങളിലെ താരങ്ങളെ കൂട്ടി ടെന്നിസ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിച്ചപ്പോള്*ത്തന്നെ ജോക്കോവിച്ച് മിക്കവർക്കും വില്ലനായി മാറിയിരുന്നു. ലോകത്തിന്റെ മറ്റു ഭാഗങ്ങളെ അപേക്ഷിച്ച് സെർബിയയിൽ കോവിഡ് വ്യാപനം അത്ര ഗുരുതരമല്ല എന്നായിരുന്നു ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ വാദം. സർക്കാരിന്റെ നിർദ്ദേശം കൃത്യമായി പാലിച്ചാണ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് നടത്തുന്നതെന്നും അദ്ദേഹം അവകാശപ്പെട്ടിരുന്നു. എന്നാൽ, ടൂർണമെന്റിൽ പങ്കെടുത്ത താരങ്ങൾക്ക് കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചതോടെ ശാരീരിക അകലം പാലിക്കാതെ മത്സരങ്ങൾ നടത്തിയതും കാണികളെ പ്രവേശിപ്പിച്ചതും വിവാദമായിരുന്നു.
    നിശാപാർട്ടിക്കിടെ നൃത്തം വയ്ക്കുന്ന ജോക്കോവിച്ചും സംഘവും.സർക്കാരിന്റെ ചട്ടങ്ങൾ പാലിച്ചാണ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് നടത്തിയതെന്ന് ജോക്കോവിച്ചും സംഘവും വാദിക്കുമ്പോൾത്തന്നെ, നിയന്ത്രണങ്ങൾ കാറ്റിൽപ്പറത്തി താരങ്ങൾ ബാസ്കറ്റ്ബോൾ കളിക്കുന്നതിന്റെയും ഒത്തൊരുമിച്ചു നൃത്തം ചെയ്യുന്നതിന്റെയും നിശാ പാർട്ടി സംഘടിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിന്റെയും വിഡിയോ പുറത്തായി. ജോക്കോവിച്ച് ഉൾപ്പെടെ ഇതിനകം കോവിഡ് സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ച താരങ്ങൾ മറ്റു താരങ്ങൾ ഉൾപ്പെടെയുള്ളവർക്കൊപ്പമാണ് ബാസ്കറ്റ്ബോൾ കളിച്ചതും നിശാപാർട്ടിയിൽ പങ്കെടുത്തതും. മത്സരത്തിനിടെ ജോക്കോവിച്ചും സംഘവും ആരാധകർക്കും സഹതാരങ്ങൾക്കുമൊപ്പം കൂട്ടത്തോടെ ഗ്രൂപ്പ് ഫോട്ടോയ്ക്ക് പോസ് ചെയ്യുന്ന ചിത്രവും പുറത്തുവന്നു. ഇതിൽ സാമൂഹിക അകലമെന്ന സങ്കൽപ്പമേയില്ല!

നിശാപാർട്ടിയുടെ വിഡിയോയിലും കോവിഡൊന്നും പ്രശ്നമേയല്ലെന്ന മട്ടിലാണ് ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെയും സംഘത്തിന്റെയും ‘പ്രകടനം’. അർധനഗ്നരായി ബൽഗ്രേഡിലെ ഏതോ നിശാക്ലബ്ബിൽ ജോക്കോവിച്ചും ഗ്രിഗർ ദിമിത്രോവും ഉൾപ്പെടുന്ന സംഘം ആടിപ്പാടി തിമിർക്കുന്ന ദൃശ്യങ്ങൾ വൈറലാണ്.

∙ വാക്സിൻ വിരുദ്ധ ‘തുടക്കം’
    കോവിഡ് വ്യാപനത്തിന്റെ തുടക്കം മുതൽ തന്നെ വിവാദ നായകനാണ് ജോക്കോവിച്ച്. കായിക മത്സരങ്ങൾ പുനഃരാരംഭിച്ചാലും നിർബന്ധിത കൊറോണ വൈറസ് വാക്സിനേഷനെടുക്കാൻ സമ്മതിക്കില്ലെന്ന് തുറന്നുപറഞ്ഞാണ് ആദ്യം വിവാദം സൃഷ്ടിച്ചത്. ഇത്തരം വാക്സിനേഷനുകൾക്ക് താൻ വ്യക്തിപരമായി എതിരാണെന്നായിരുന്നു ജോക്കോയുടെ വാദം. കളത്തിലേക്കു തിരിച്ചെത്താൻ കൊറോണ വൈറസ് വാക്സിനേഷൻ നിർബന്ധമാക്കില്ലെന്നാണ് പ്രതീക്ഷയെന്നും ജോക്കോവിച്ച് വ്യക്തമാക്കി.
    കോവിഡിനുശേഷം ടെന്നിസ് മത്സരങ്ങൾ പുനഃരാരംഭിക്കണമെങ്കിൽ കൊറോണ വൈറസ് വാക്സിനേഷൻ നിർബന്ധമാക്കണമെന്ന് ആവശ്യപ്പെട്ട് മുൻ ലോക ഒന്നാം നമ്പർ താരം അമേലി മൗറിസ്മോ ഉൾപ്പെടെയുള്ളവർ രംഗത്തെത്തിയിരുന്നു. നിലവിൽ കൊറോണ വൈറസ് വാക്സിനേഷൻ ഇതുവരെ കണ്ടെത്തിയിട്ടില്ല. ഇതിനിടെയാണ് താൻ വാക്സിനേഷന് എതിരാണെന്ന ലോക ഒന്നാം നമ്പർ താരം കൂടിയായ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ പ്രഖ്യാപനം.
    ‘വ്യക്തിപരമായി എനിക്ക് വാക്സിനേഷനോട് താൽപര്യമില്ല. തുടർന്നും കായിക മത്സരങ്ങളിൽ പങ്കെടുക്കുന്നതിന് വാക്സിനേഷൻ നിർബന്ധമാക്കില്ലെന്നാണ് പ്രതീക്ഷ’ – അന്ന് ജോക്കോവിച്ച് പറഞ്ഞു. ഇതിനിടെ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിന്റെ ഭാര്യ കോവിഡിനു കാരണമായി ‘5 ജി തീയറി’ അവതരിപ്പിച്ചതും വിവാദമായി.

∙ വിമർശിച്ച് താരങ്ങളും ആരാധകരും

കോവിഡിനിടെ മത്സരങ്ങൾ നടത്തി വില്ലനായ ജോക്കോവിച്ചിനെതിരെ കടുത്ത വിമർശനമുയർത്തിയ പ്രധാന താരം ബ്രിട്ടന്റെ ആൻഡി മറിയാണ്. കോവിഡ് നിയന്ത്രണങ്ങളും ചട്ടങ്ങളും എല്ലാവർക്കും ഒരുപോലെ ബാധകമാണെന്ന് മറി ചൂണ്ടിക്കാട്ടി.
    ‘ആ ടൂർണമെന്റിലെയും നിശാ പാർട്ടിയിലെയും ചിത്രങ്ങളും വിഡിയോകളും കാണുമ്പോൾ എത്ര പേർക്ക് കോവിഡ് ബാധിച്ചാലും അതിൽ വലിയ അദ്ഭുതമൊന്നും തോന്നില്ല. സാമൂഹിക അകലമെന്നത് അവയിലൊന്നിൽ പോലുമില്ല. യുഎസ് ഓപ്പൺ ഉൾപ്പെടെയുള്ള ടൂർണമെന്റുകൾ ഇനി നീട്ടിവയ്ക്കേണ്ടി വരുമെന്ന് ചിലർ വാദിക്കുന്നതു കണ്ടു. സെർബിയയിലും ക്രൊയേഷ്യയിലും നടന്ന ടൂർണമെന്റിലും യുഎസ് ഓപ്പണിലും കൈക്കൊള്ളുന്ന മുൻകരുതലിന്റെ കാര്യത്തിൽത്തന്നെ അജഗജാന്തരം വ്യത്യാസമുണ്ട്. നിങ്ങൾ ആരായാലും കോവിഡ് നിയന്ത്രണങ്ങളെ ബഹുമാനിച്ചേ തീരൂ’ – മറി പറഞ്ഞു.
    ടെന്നിസ് താരങ്ങൾക്ക് കോവിഡ് ബാധിച്ചതിന്റെ കാരണക്കാരൻ ഇത്തരമൊരു ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിച്ച ജോക്കോവിച്ചാണെന്നും അദ്ദേഹം ഉത്തരവാദിത്തം ഏൽക്കണമെന്നും ബ്രിട്ടീഷ് താരം ബ്രിട്ടൻ *ഡാൻ ഇവാൻസ് ആവശ്യപ്പെട്ടു. വിമർശനവുമായി ഓസീസ് താരം നിക് കിർഗിയോസും രംഗത്തുണ്ട്.

∙ ഒടുവിൽ മാപ്പ്...
    ശരീരക്ഷമത കാത്തുസൂക്ഷിക്കാൻ നടത്തിയ ടൂർണമെന്റ് ‘കോവിഡ് ബോംബാ’യി മാറിയതോടെ ജോക്കോവിച്ച് പരസ്യമായി ക്ഷമ പറഞ്ഞു. ആരുടെയും ആരോഗ്യസ്ഥിതി വഷളാകില്ലെന്നാണ് പ്രതീക്ഷയെന്നും എല്ലാവരും സുഖപ്പെടുമെന്നും ജോക്കോവിച്ച് പ്രസ്താവനയിൽ ആശംസിച്ചു. തീർത്തും സത്യസന്ധമായ ലക്ഷ്യത്തോടെയാണ് ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിച്ചതെന്ന് ജോക്കോവിച്ച് പറഞ്ഞു.

‘ഞങ്ങൾ സംഘടിപ്പിച്ച ടൂർണമെന്റ് ഇത്രയേറെ പേർക്ക് ബുദ്ധിമുട്ട് സൃഷ്ടിച്ചതിൽ ആത്മാർഥമായി മാപ്പു ചോദിക്കുന്നു. കഴിഞ്ഞ ഏതാനും മാസങ്ങളായി ടൂർണമെന്റിന്റെ സംഘാടകരും ഞാനും ചെയ്തതെല്ലാം സദുദ്ദേശ്യത്തോടെ മാത്രമാണ്. നമ്മുടെ പ്രദേശത്ത് കോവിഡ് ഭീഷണിയില്ലെന്നും ടൂർണമെന്റ് സംഘടിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനുള്ള ആരോഗ്യപരമായ എല്ലാ മുൻകരുതലുകളും കൈക്കൊണ്ടുവെന്നുമാണ് ഞങ്ങൾ കരുതിയത്. എല്ലാവരുടെയും നൻമ മാത്രമായിരുന്നു ലക്ഷ്യം. ഞങ്ങളുടെ ചിന്തകൾ തെറ്റിപ്പോയെന്ന് ഇപ്പോൾ തെളിഞ്ഞു. അതും വളരെ പെട്ടെന്നുതന്നെ. ഈ ടൂർണമെന്റുമായി ബന്ധപ്പെട്ട് ഇത്രയധികം പേർക്ക് രോഗം ബാധിച്ചതിൽ എത്ര ക്ഷമ ചോദിച്ചാലാണ് മതിയാവുക?
    നിങ്ങൾ അഡ്രിയ ടൂർണമെന്റിൽ പങ്കെടുക്കുകയോ പങ്കെടുത്തവരുമായി സമ്പർക്കം പുലർത്തുകയോ ചെയ്തിട്ടുണ്ടെങ്കിൽ ദയവു ചെയ്ത് കോവിഡ് പരിശോധനയ്ക്ക് വിധേയരാവുകയും മറ്റുള്ളവരിൽനിന്ന് അകലം പാലിക്കുകയും ചെയ്യുക. ബൽഗ്രേഡിലും സദറിലുമുള്ളവർക്കായി ആരോഗ്യ സംവിധാനം ഉടൻ ഒരുക്കുന്നതാണ്. ടൂർണമെന്റ് ഇതിനാൽ റദ്ദാക്കുക മാത്രമല്ല, രോഗബാധിതരുടെ സൗഖ്യത്തിലാകും നമ്മുടെ പരിപൂർണ ശ്രദ്ധ. എല്ലാവരുടെയും സമ്പൂർണ സൗഖ്യത്തിനായി പ്രാർഥിക്കുന്നു’ – ജോക്കോവിച്ച് കുറിച്ചു.

Defending champion Nadal won't play US Open, slams schedule

"This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel."
    The 34-year-old Spanish star also took aim at the international tennis schedule, which has been revised following disruptions sparked by Covid-19 shutdowns.
    The US Open in New York, scheduled for August 31 through September 13, will be followed a fortnight later by the French Open at Roland Garros.
    "We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play..." Nadal said.

With Nadal's long-time rival Roger Federer already ruled out of the tournament as he recovers from knee surgery, the US Open will mark the first time since 1999 that neither player has featured in the main draw of a Grand Slam event.

Nadal, who has 19 Grand Slam victories, could have equalled Federer's tally of 20 Slam wins in New York.
    Doubts about Nadal's willingness to play the US Open have swirled for months as tennis grapples with a calendar that has been decimated by pandemic disruption.
    In June, Nadal warned he would not consider playing the US Open unless he was satisfied conditions were "completely safe."
    Nadal's name was entered last week on the US Open tune-up tournament, the ATP/WTA Western and Southern Open, which will be held in New York this year instead of Cincinnati.

However Nadal had long harboured concerns over the proximity of the US Open and the swing of clay court events scheduled through September.
    Nadal's uncle and long-time former coach, Toni, said in June that the former world number one was uncertain about which events he would play.
    "The schedule is unrealistic, especially for veteran players, who cannot compete for so many weeks in a row," Toni Nadal said. "I think it is a bit ugly what the ATP has done."

With Nadal and Federer missing from New York, world number one Novak Djokovic will have a golden opportunity to land an 18th Grand Slam singles title.
    Djokovic was named on the US Open entry list on Tuesday which included seven of the world's top 10 players.
    Djokovic, a three-time US Open champion, will be joined by world number three Dominic Thiem, world number 5 Daniil Medvedev and sixth-ranked Stefanos Tsitsipas.
    The women's entry list meanwhile includes 13 Grand Slam champions and nine of the world's top 10 players.

Goran Ivanisevic forced to wait to be inducted into International Tennis Hall of Fame

Goran Ivanisevic

When Goran Ivanisevic is involved there seems to be no easy way. There was a delay when he won his first and only Grand Slam and now his induction to the International Tennis Hall of Fame has been delayed.

In January, Ivanisevic became the first Croatian ever to be elected in the International Tennis Hall of Fame and this July the induction ceremony was set to be held in Newport, Rhode Island.
    On Friday, the International Tennis Hall of Fame announced that as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Class of 2020 Induction Ceremony will not take place and will now be held in 2021.
    There is one silver lining, Ivanisevic will now be inducted on the 20th anniversary of his famous Wimbledon.
    “If anyone thought for a second I would do something the easy way. We’ll ace it next year,” Ivanisevic said on social media.
    Along with Ivanisevic, fellow Wimbledon winner Conchita Martinez was also elected and will be inducted next year.
    “This is a huge honour. I am proud and humbled to become the first-ever Tennis Hall of Famer from Croatia,” Ivanisevic said after he was elected. “I am grateful to the committee for selecting me for this honour and so thankful to the fans who supported me in the Fan Vote and throughout my entire career, especially so many great fans in Croatia. I am honoured and excited to become a Hall of Famer.”
    “Croatia’s Goran Ivanisevic’s serve-and-volley style of play led him to great success on the grass courts of Wimbledon where he was a quarterfinalist once, semifinalist twice, and finalist three times, before winning the title in 2001. That year, ranked world No. 125, the big-serving lefty was granted a wildcard into the tournament. In a magical run to the trophy, he knocked out three players who were former or future world No. 1s en route to a five-set battle with Patrick Rafter in the final. Ivanišević is a two-time Olympic medalist, having won a singles bronze and doubles bronze, both in 1992,” the International Hall of Fame said.
    Ivanisevic and Martinez will be the 258th and 258th members of the International Hall of Fame.

Novak Djokovic Claims Record-equalling 35th ATP Masters 1000 Title

Novak Djokovic fought back from a set down to beat Milos Raonic in the Western & Southern Open final and claim a record-equalling 35th ATP Masters 1000 title.
    World number one Djokovic hit back from a set down to complete a second Career Golden Masters with a 1-6 6-3 6-4 victory at Flushing Meadows.
    The 17-time grand slam champion moved level with Rafael Nadal's tally of Masters 1000 titles just two days before the start of the US Open, which he will start as a strong favourite to win.

Novak Djokovic disqualified from US Open after hitting official with ball

A disappointed Novak Djokovic walks off court after being disqualified from the US Open (AFP Photo)
    NEW YORK: World number one Novak Djokovic was sensationally disqualified in the US Open fourth round on Sunday after striking a line judge with a ball following a point during the first set of his match against Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta.
    Djokovic was becoming frustrated after squandering three set points when Carreno Busta served at 4-5, 0-40, then suffering a fall. Having dropped serve to trail 5-6, he swatted a ball reasonably hard to the back of the court, inadvertently striking a female line judge in her throat.

With the line judge screaming out in pain as she fell to the ground, a horrified Djokovic ran over to her and apologised.

Tournament referee Soeren Friemel came out on to the Arthur Ashe Stadium and spoke to chair umpire Aurelie Tourte and Andreas Egli, the Grand Slam supervisor, before a long chat with the 33-year-old Serb, a three-time former US Open winner.
    Djokovic was clearly making the point that he had not intended to hit the official and was overheard to say "she doesn't have to go to hospital for this".
    After 12 minutes of pleading, Djokovic's fate was sealed.

The Grand Slam rules state: "Players shall not at any time physically abuse any official, opponent, spectator or other person within the precincts of the tournament site.
    "The referee, in consultation with the Grand Slam chief of supervisors may declare a default for either a single violation of this code."
    Djokovic eventually walked over to shake hands with a stunned Carreno Busta and trudged off to face the music, although he later left the grounds in a black Tesla without attending a press conference.

He later posted an apology on Instagram: "This whole situation has left me really sad and empty... I‘m extremely sorry to have caused her such stress. So unintended. So wrong.
    "As for the disqualification, I need to go back within and work on my disappointment and turn this all into a lesson for my growth and evolution as a player and human being. I apologise to the @usopen tournament and everyone associated for my behaviour."

It was a shocking end to the top seed's hopes of winning an 18th Grand Slam title and moving within two of the men's record total won by Roger Federer -- something that had looked increasingly likely as the fortnight progressed.
    It also brought to an end Djokovic's 26-0 winning run since the start of the year, albeit in bizarre circumstances.
    The USTA issued a statement saying that Djokovic would lose all the ranking points earned from the event and will be fined the $250,000 -- his prize money for reaching round four.
    "It's the right decision," Tim Henman, who was disqualified from Wimbledon for a similar incident in 1995, told Amazon Prime. "He is not aiming for the line judge, but has hit the ball away and you have to be responsible for your actions."
    Former champion Mats Wilander, analysing the action for Eurosport, said it was very unlucky for Djokovic but that it had been the correct decision.
    "You are not allowed to do that," he said. "It's as much bad luck as you can have on a tennis court. He didn't just roll the ball back to the ball kid, that's the bottom line.
    "He hit it harder than he intended to, obviously a complete accident. It was a sign of frustration, yes. A little bit. But it doesn't matter, you are not allowed to do it."

WIDE OPEN
    The incredible development has blown the draw wide open, especially with defending champion Rafa Nadal and Federer absent this year. Nadal opted not to travel to New York because of concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, while Federer is recovering from knee surgery.
    A world number one being defaulted sent shockwaves around Flushing Meadows which has witnessed many crazy events down the years, including two high-profile incidents involving Serena Williams, most recently in the 2018 final against Naomi Osaka when she was docked a game near the end.
    "I'm a little bit in shock right now, to be honest," Alexander Zverev told reporters after his own fourth-round win.
    "If he would have hit it anywhere else, if it would have landed anywhere else, we are talking about a few inches, he would have been fine."

Carreno Busta will now face a quarter-final against either Denis Shapovalov or seventh seed David Goffin.
    A tournament spokesman told Reuters the line judge 'appears to be okay and was not brought off-site'.
    Her identity is not known.
    Djokovic's humiliating exit continues what has been a turbulent few months for him. He was criticised for organising the Adria Tour exhibition event in June in which he and several players were tested positive for COVID-19.
    He then dropped a bombshell on the eve of the Open by announcing he had resigned as president of the ATP Player Council to front a new players' association.

No Rafa & Fedex
    Djoko has blown golden chance to add to his grand slam tally