Page 73 of 592 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173573 ... LastLast

Thread: HOLLYWOOD + World Cinema Thread

FK Lover

njanum othri kandu last week okke.. time kittumbol review idam

FK Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Sootran View Post

Enter the Dragon kazhinjal bruceleede best movie FoF aanu .

Enter the Dragon ,

Fist of Fury

Game of death (completed after his death )

Return of the dragon

Big Boss

enninganeyanu potuve ulla ranking.
    Yes!!! athu thanne aanu njaan paranjathu....it is not as good as enter the dragon...and better than Big Boss...

Thumbs up Les Quatre cents coups

The 400 Blows (1959)
    by Francis Truffaut

Just one word, that I can use to describe this film: masterpiece.

Its such an amazing experience watching this film!

The film basically is about a kid, who well goes through juvenile school...lets just say he isn't the perfect role model. He is a nuisance to his parents and teachers. The film is quite autobiographical on Truffaut's child hood.

This film is considered to have started the whole French New Wave movement. And unlike most Indian art-house films, or at least the ones I've seen, this one doesn't seem pretentious. As Truffaut says" I demand that a film express either the joy of making cinema or the agony of making cinema. I am not at all interested in anything in between "

10/10

This film seems to have influenced a lot on Aamir Khan's Taare Zameen Par

The opening credit sequence of this film has been repeatedly imitated a lot
    of times in many Malayalam films...especially those in the 80s.
    Last edited by failing_boy; 03-14-2009 at 10:03 AM.

thanks boy its looks like a different film...is it available on net any torrent ?
    Last edited by ~ BILLA ~; 03-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    "Love is seeing God in the person next to us.Meditation is seeing God within Us..."

Cult Status, Comic Sales Could Boost Watchmen Box Office

By Scott Thill March 12, 2009

When Zack Snyder's cinematic adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' canonical comic Watchmen raked in $55 million after its domestic opening and over $26 million in its international debut, armchair quarterbacking over the impossibility of a Dark Knight-like payday kicked into overdrive. This weekend's performance is pivotal for those quarterbacks, which includes critics and fans, and also for studio executives reliant upon superhero tent-poles to keep their sagging business afloat.

Hollyweird metrics indicate that the $150-plus million movie, saddled with a $50 million marketing bill, won't match The Dark Knight's numbers. But that was a pipe dream from the get-go, given the cerebral source material featuring a nuclear dystopia drained of conventional heroism. Creeping towards $70 million in domestic receipts at about $3 million per day, Watchmen needs several big weekends to recoup its expense. Standard viewer drop-off makes that a daunting challenge.

But there is one wild card working in the Watchmen film's favor, and it is a glaring one: The comic.

"We have sold more than a million copies since the Watchmen trailer debuted with The Dark Knight last summer," a spokesperson for DC Comics told Wired.com via email. The spokesperson neither confirmed or denied a huge uptick in sales after the film's opening, but it seems probable, especially after reading the humorous comments from DC Comics president and publisher Paul Levitz on how Snyder's controversial adaptation has sent comics flying off the shelves.

"We literally can't print enough," Levitz told Wired.com at Comic-Con in 2008. "I don't think we've been able to kill any more trees fast enough."
    Judging by the best-sellers lists, that pace has most likely accelerated since the film's opening. Watchmen entered USA Today's Top 150 in 2008 shortly after its trailer premiered during screenings of The Dark Knight last July. Since then, sales skyrocketed into the Top 10. After the film's opening last week, Watchmen shot up to the number two slot and there it remains.

Similarly, on the New York Times' newly christened graphic novel best-seller list, Watchmen currently owns the top spot for comic paperbacks as well as third position for hardcovers.

As New York Times' bookworm George Gene Gustines wrote, "There is going to be a lot of Alan Moore on these lists for the first couple of months."

And therein lies Watchmen's hope for a cult-film following that could carry the movie all the way into summer. If newbie consumers who saw the film without reading the comic first go back to theaters for repeat viewings after a taste of the graphic novel, that should keep box-office obsessives smiling through the blood.

And then there is Watchmen's intense marketing blitz. Ramming home the point with ubiquitous posters, action figures, comics and viral campaigns, the advertising spectacle should convince anyone who still hasn't seen the film or the comic that there's something behind the buzz.

Yet the key demographic are those who saw the movie but have not read the original work. Given the comic's increasingly stellar performance on the best-seller lists, burgeoning interest in the comic could lead right back to the film for compare-and-contrast nerd sessions aimed at sussing out sub-narratives, Easter eggs and more.

Thanks to the dense source material, Snyder's Watchmen seems destined for cult-classic longevity in the vein of other controversial R-rated classics including Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange or Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Like The Dark Knight before it, Watchmen is not without its own flaws, but nevertheless stands as a shining example what comics can do on the big screen when they are taken seriously by Hollywood.

Other factors bode well for Watchmen, the movie. This weekend, Watchmen battles lightweight remakes like Disney's Race to Witch Mountain and Wes Craven's Last House on the Left. The next potential blockbuster won't show up until May, when Terminator: Salvation is released.

Of course, this is all speculation: Watchmen's fate will be decided in the next few weeks. Will it turn into a word-of-mouth sensation, or wither in the shadow of Christian Bale and the latest Terminator holocaust?

Cult Status, Comic Sales Could Boost Watchmen Box Office | The Underwire from Wired.com
    "Love is seeing God in the person next to us.Meditation is seeing God within Us..."

Watchmen certainly has made a lot since it came last weekend...

but its budget is pretty big- $150million...
    for a film releasing in March.

but i guess it might cross $200 soon...
    Watchmen (2009)
    Last edited by failing_boy; 03-14-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ BILLA ~ View Post
    thanks boy its looks like a different film...is it available on net any torrent ?
    I'm not sure, as I rented out the dvd for The 400 Blows...
    a criterion collection dvd

Quote Originally Posted by failing_boy View Post
    Nop!

I have to disagree...

Oldboy is the best of the best!
    Can't agree more. Oldboy is not just a movie, it is an achievement, a mile stone in movie history. Tell Me Something is great, but Oldboy will always remain the best.

Quote Originally Posted by failing_boy View Post
    I'm not sure, as I rented out the dvd for The 400 Blows...
    a criterion collection dvd
    Criterion DVDs are always the best. They work hard on restoring and remastering old classics and the output is awesome. The 2nd time I watched Seven Samurai, it was the Criterion Collection and the quality was way better than the previous Japanese DVD.

FK Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by saji View Post
    Yes!!! athu thanne aanu njaan paranjathu....it is not as good as enter the dragon...and better than Big Boss...

Action scenesinte karyathil I think FoF is better , but E the Dragon kurachoode Thrilling aayirinnu as a Film