Page 226 of 238 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2376

Thread: ✪♛✪ Aamir "The Ace" Khan:: - Official Thread✪♛✪

Aamir Khan on intolerance: Kiran asked me if we should move out of India

Breaking his silence on the raging debate over acts of intolerance, actor Aamir Khan on Monday expressed “alarm” and despondency over the rise in such cases “in the last six to eight months”. In conversation with Anant Goenka, Wholetime Director & Head — New Media, The Indian Express, at the eighth edition of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards, Khan said a sense of “insecurity” and “fear” had seeped deep within society, even in his family.

“(Wife) Kiran and I have lived all our lives in India. For the first time, she said, should we move out of India? That’s a disastrous and big statement for Kiran to make to me. She fears for her child. She fears about what the atmosphere around us will be. She feels scared to open the newspapers everyday. That does indicate that there is a sense of growing disquiet,” he said. Asked for his view on the trend of writers, artists, historians and scientists returning their awards, Khan said this was one way of getting their point across. “For creative people, to voice what they feel is important. A number of creative people — historians and scientists — have increasingly had a certain feeling that they feel they need to express. One of the ways of expressing their dissatisfaction or disappointment is to return awards.”

He said he would endorse any protest that is non-violent. “As long as you don’t resort to violence, all individuals have a right to protest and they can protest in any manner they feel is right. This is certainly a way to protest for creative people.”

The protests, he noted, were prompted by a growing atmosphere of intolerance around the creative community and the growing sense of insecurity and disappointment over it.

“As an individual, as a citizen, certainly I have also been alarmed, I can’t deny it, by a number of incidents,” he said, “
    For us, as Indians, to feel a sense of security, two-three things are important. The sense of justice gives a lot of security to the common man. The second thing, that is important, are the people who are the elected representatives, at the state level or the level of the Centre… when people take law in their own hands, we look upon these representatives to take a strong stance, make strong statements and speed up the legal process to prosecute such cases. It doesn’t matter who the ruling party is.”

“On television debates, I see where one political party, in this case, the BJP which is ruling right now, is accused of various things. They said, ‘But what happened in 1984?’. But that doesn’t make right what’s happening now. What happened in ‘84 was disastrous and horrendous. At other times also, through ages, whenever there is a violent act, when an innocent person is killed, be it one or a large number, that’s very unfortunate. And these unfortunate moments are the ones when we look towards our leaders to take a strong step. Make statements that are reassuring to the citizens,” he said.

On the
    issue of censorship, Khan said though he had had no personal experience with the censors, he was alarmed by their stance. “It (the board) is reacting to things that we, as free people, as adults, should make our own choices on. Essentially the certification board is supposed to mention the age for which the film is suitable. There is no censorship required after the certification. As I understand it now, it has been aggressive in its approach and it is worrying.”

Khan opened up on another issue occupying the news feed, answering
    queries related to terror. “Acts of terror are not connected to any religion. If he is a Muslim and he engaging in acts of terror, I don’t think he is following Islam. Or for that matter, even a Hindu who is engaging in an act of violence, is not following Hinduism. No religion teaches killing of innocents. When you see an act of terror or violence, instead of calling him a Christian or a Hindu or an Islamic terrorist, you should just call him terrorist and remove the religion tag from it. That’s the first mistake when we label them. It’s just a terrorist who doesn’t have a religion,” he said.

He spoke of growing discomfort within the majority of moderate Muslims over such incidents. “If I’m not mistaken, a number of Muslim organisations have begun to speak openly against the ISIS and similar terror organisations, at least in India,” he said. Voicing his opinion as a Muslim, he said, makes him uncomfortable. “Firstly, why should I be representing anyone? Secondly, I have to represent anyone, why not everyone? Why Muslims? My birth may be in a Muslim household, but I speak for everyone,” he said.

The conversation also led to an interaction with the audience. While Lt Gen Arun Kumar Sahni, GOC-in-C South Western Command, expressed his desire to see more films that show the relationship between India and its neighbours in a positive light, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor spoke about how such an approach can compel people to think about their own deep-seated prejudices and bigotry in their own country.

The Indian Express columnist Tavleen Singh asked Khan about his
    view on the Paris attackers invoking Islam to justify their act. “A person who is holding a Quran and killing people may feel he is doing it in the name of Islam, but as a Muslim, I don’t feel he is doing an Islamic act. He may claim to be a Muslim but we should not recognise him as that. My problem is not just with the ISIS, the fear is with that thinking. Today there is ISIS, tomorrow it would be someone else. This extreme thinking is what I worry about,” he said.

Anupam Kher tweets to Aamir:

"Dear @aamir_khan. Did you ask Kiran which country would she like to move out to? Did you tell her that this country has made you AAMIR KHAN," Kher tweeted in response to Khan's comments that his wife Kiran Rao had spoken about whether they should move out of the country.

Dear @aamir_khan Presumed country has become #Intolerant. Wat do u suggest 2 millions of Indians? Leave India? Or wait till regime changes?

"Did you tell Kiran that you have lived through more worse times in this country & but you never thought of moving out," another tweet by Kher read.

Last month, Kher led a protest rally 'March for India' to Rashtrapati Bhavan, against what is widely being termed as protests over 'growing intolerance' in the country. Several authors, historians and scientists returned awards given to them by the government or government backed organisations such as the Sahitya Akademi.

“India is a very tolerant country. Some people have coined the term ‘growing intolerance’. They are very few. Not every Indian thinks like that. We are secular people. We do not believe in pseudo-secularism, selective outrage or selective patriotism,” Kher, who is the spouse of BJP MP from Chandigarh Kirron Kher, had said.

Never said India is intolerant:SRK

Janangal sradhikkaan vendi oro prasthavana irakum.. e pravisam nerukam thalayil thanne adikitty...

i dont think aamir said anything wrong...the man whos promoting incredible india cant say anything about intolerance ? now what sort of an arguement is that..people are crazy and totally biazed..
    anupam kher is a jerk, he supported shah because he is close to shah and mustve got show cause notice regarding the same ..hence this nonsense.!
    way to go aamir, the guy speak his heart always !

6. Likes critic liked this post

Ellayidathum amirinu ponkala aanallo oridathu ninnu karyam aya support kanunnilla

Quote Originally Posted by indi commandos View Post
    Janangal sradhikkaan vendi oro prasthavana irakum.. e pravisam nerukam thalayil thanne adikitty...
    oru paniyum illaathe veetil irikkunnavam janangalude shreddha pidichu pattaan prasthavana irakkunnathu manasilakaam.
    ithu oru functionil chodhicha chodyathinu marupadi nalkuvaanu cheythathu.
    uttharam koduthille, incredible india, satyameva jayathe enna programs host cheytha nadan vivaram illaathavan ennu vichaarikkum.
    manasu thurannu ullathu paranjathaano thettu?
    maathravalla, paranjathil enthavaa thettu?

9. Likes kunjumon, Mohanlal Is Reloaded liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    i dont think aamir said anything wrong...the man whos promoting incredible india cant say anything about intolerance ? now what sort of an arguement is that..people are crazy and totally biazed.. anupam kher is a jerk, he supported shah because he is close to shah and mustve got show cause notice regarding the same ..hence this nonsense.! way to go aamir, the guy speak his heart always !
    perfect vishayam alle eduthittu alakaan.
    husband muslim. wife hindu.
    pk criticised hindu gods. aamir related to maulana azad.

funny thing is anupam kher and ram gopal varma have gone against aamir.
    mahesh bhatt supports him.
    bakkiyulla film fraternityil nattalulla ethranam undennu varum divasangalil kanaam.

Quote Originally Posted by Perumthachan View Post
    perfect vishayam alle eduthittu alakaan.
    husband muslim. wife hindu.
    pk criticised hindu gods. aamir related to maulana azad.

funny thing is anupam kher and ram gopal varma have gone against aamir.
    mahesh bhatt supports him.
    bakkiyulla film fraternityil nattalulla ethranam undennu varum divasangalil kanaam.
    anupam kher ne vidam , political aspirations..rgv lol.
    pk , cant blame hindus either, naseeruddin shah recently paranja kettille both pk and oh my god people didnt had the guts to criticise muslim religion , sathyamalle....