• Lionel messi

6 66.67%
Page 84 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Lio messi-7 Time ballondore winner "LM7"

Lionel Messi interview with ESPN: “I want to be World Champion” [Video]
    Thursday, May 29th, 2014
    Feeds: Lionel Messi

0Comments
    A couple of weeks back, ESPN scooped an excluisve interview with Lionel Messi.

Messi, who rarely sits down for extended TV one on ones, spent 30 minutes with ESPN, and they shaved down the segment into just over six minutes of chat.

ESPN covered a variety of topics with the Barcelona superstar, including being the greatest player ever, why he is no different from anyone else and why he wants World Cup success this summer in Brazil.

EXCLUSIVE PRICE BOOST: Back Argentina at 8/1 to win World Cup!

Watch the ESPN E:60 exclusive interview with Lionel Messi below.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA
    VAMOS MESSIVAMOS MARADONA
    http://fat.gfycat.com/FinishedGenuineGar.webm

Cruyff on Barca, Messi and Xavi
    By Football Espana staff

Johan Cruyff has offered his opinions on Barcelona, the appointment of Luis Enrique, Lionel Messi’s role and the future of Xavi Hernandez.

Marca reports that the former Barca player and Coach spoke to Cadena Cope on a range of topics, beginning with former Barca boss Tata Martino and later touching on the World Cup.

“He did what he could. I thought he was a very nice man and the players were quite happy with him,” Cruyff said.

“I can’t describe what happened because I don’t know.”

On the subject of Martino’s successor, Cruyff advised Enrique to be his own man, adding it was inevitable that Lionel Messi would be the centrepiece of Barca.

“He’s someone who likes the straight line and work and I hope he is strong enough to make his own decisions,” he said.

“Coaching a team is very difficult and sometimes I get the feeling that people aren’t aware of it. But he knows.

“Leo always has to be the important piece, that’s pure logic.

“But if things aren’t going well it’s also logical that people look for someone to take more responsibility and in this case, the best player. I’ve been criticised and applauded too.”

Cruyff did however warn against singling out any individual when the team as a whole is struggling.

“It’s not about one person but a team. People are always looking for a culprit and Messi didn’t have his best season but he was injured for a long time and didn’t play as much as before,” Cruyff argued.

Moving on to one of Messi’s teammates, Cruyff said Xavi should remain at the club for a little longer after talk the playmaker could be on the move.

“He’s a great player. He always makes a difference in many details and is almost an essential part of the team,” Cruyff said.

“Football is played with the head and the feet and when age means you can’t do much with the feet, the head remains.

“And the older you are, the more brains you have. I have no doubt he should be here next season.”

But Cruyff admitted Barca do need new faces - the right ones, he stressed, unlike last summer.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

FC Barcelona: Cesc for Kun, Deal or No Deal?
    By JBeck12  @jordanBeckFCB on May 30 2014, 6:03p 130

Could we see these two together in Barcelona next season? - David Ramos
    GET THE LATEST BARCELONA NEWS WITH BARCA BLAUGRANES

FOLLOW BARCA BLAUGRANES ON TWITTER
    Could a swap deal sending Francesc Fabregas to the Etihad while bringing Sergio Aguero to Barcelona be the right move for both parties? This writer thinks...possibly. So let’s take a look at the scenarios of both players and the practicality of such a deal.

 TWEET (29) SHARE  SHARE 130 COMMENTS
    If recent rumors are to be believed, Sergio Aguero is keen on moving to Barcelona to join up with his compatriot and national team scoring partner, Lionel Messi. Reportedly, Messi and Javier Mascherano have continuously worked to persuade the Manchester City striker to leave the Etihad for the Camp Nou. The only problem is actually working out a deal with Manchester City. Understandably, the English club is more than reluctant to sell a star player who is such a reliable source of goals, even if he has struggled with injuries over the past two seasons.

Then there is Cesc Fabregas. Over his three years in Barcelona, the midfielder has failed to lock down a consistent starting position and has found himself shunted around the field in an attempt to add his direct passing and positional anarchy into the traditional Barca structure. As a result, Cesc’s form has wavered massively, soaring and dipping from game to game but fairly consistently dropping off severely post-December. While obviously a productive player, Cesc has struggled in the bigger matches, tending to drift into anonymity while Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta run the show. The result of the former Arsenal captain’s time at Barca is nearly impossible to summarize. Loved by some, loathed by some, Cesc is a near constant topic of argument. Does he still belong in Barcelona? Did the Premier League eliminate any trace of the "Barca DNA" from his time in La Masia?

Personally, I do not think we will ever really know the answer to that question. In three seasons and three managers, Cesc has been lukewarm: good enough to stomach, but a player that never really satisfies. How many times have we found ourselves arguing over whether Cesc actually had a good game? Rarely is it obvious, and we as fans have displayed a similar level of inconsistency in our opinions of the player as the player has in level of play. Moreover, how many times have we said, "I guess he’ll understand positional play eventually"? Cesc, three years in, is still an enigma.

Now we look at Barcelona itself. After a trophyless season -- and that is all I will mention -- the club finds itself in a state of rebuilding. Multiple players out, multiple players in, a new manager, a new assistant sporting director, and loads of holes still to fill. It seems everyone has a different plan for what should be done, and I am no different.

That being said, I think everyone can agree that three main goals must still be accomplished. First, we must solidify the team defensively. This is obvious, as we have looked porous for years now, and we have not made a specific center back signing since Dmytro Chygrynskiy in 2009. Second, we must provide a top class plan of succession in midfield, given that the transfer ban may be reestablished and Xavi and Iniesta are reaching the end of legendary careers. Third, and perhaps the most underrated of all, we must add firepower. Firepower? Yes, goalscoring firepower. The thing we lacked against Atleti, Real Madrid, Elche, Granada, Valladolid, Sociedad, Valencia, Levante...

*Cue immediate comments being hammered out about goal differential and scoring 100 goals and having Messi, etc. etc.*

I have spoken at length about our struggles scoring this past season, even though Alexis had his best season yet in front of goal and Pedro did pretty well too. I will not be repeating myself here, because a numbers analysis would take way too long and I am over 500 words in and still have not gotten to my main point. However, believe me, this team needs natural goal scorers. We do not have a single natural predatory scorer in the team, Messi included. Oh snap, digression time.

This may sound crazy, given that he is the greatest scorer of all time, but Messi’s ridiculous, record-breaking scoring is because his level of football is higher than any other player ever. His goals are a product of simply being so unbelievably good that he can just score by the simple fact of being an incredible footballer. Messi does not need to have Falcao or Ronaldo’s skill set because he is already Messi and thus already better than everyone else. He does not need to pull off extraordinary back heels or bicycle kicks because just by playing his football he will score. This is awesome, but it also leaves us a little light because it requires Leo to ALWAYS produce pieces of individual brilliance. He may not look human sometimes, but he is, and it just is not practical to go into matches wishing for brilliance instead of having dedicated scorers. I know this will probably get a few comments, and as a deviation I would be interested to talk about it in more detail, but I really have to get to my main point.

If we accept that this team needs firepower and a truly natural scorer, there really is not a better-suited player for Messi to partner than Sergio Aguero. These two tear it up at the international level and share a near telepathic bond. Where Alexis and Neymar are naturally dribbling creators who can also score, Aguero is a pure finisher who can also dribble. The key difference is that Kun plays on the shoulder of the defender and sprints in behind to shoot on goal, while Neymar and Alexis want to seek the ball, turn, and attack on the dribble before making a final pass.

Then there is Aguero’s physique, a feature I have always underrated about him. Where Neymar, Pedro and Alexis are easily pushed off the ball, Aguero’s powerful, low center of gravity allows him to stay on it. I guess the traditional thinking to beat the bus is to go over it, but with Aguero, you go through it. Surprisingly, Aguero’s also very good on the cross. His finishing skills make him exceptional at meeting low crosses on the volley, and he’s underrated in the air as well. The main thing is, he attacks goal ferociously, where Messi tends to drift into pockets. Combining the two would be devastating.

Now the ugly question pops back up...how do we get him without paying 60 million or more? Simple. Why not a Cesc swap? Even if City would want a small amount of cash thrown on top, this deal makes plenty of sense for both parties. We get the scorer and #9 we need to give us the edge in big matches while losing an inconsistent midfielder we are not sure can take over for Xavi.

City gain a tremendous Premier League midfielder who scored 19 goals and managed 19 assists in one season, and who would slot in immediately to their lineup between Samir Nasri and David Silva. Cesc and Nasri shared a great relationship at Arsenal, and the linkup between Silva and Cesc at Euro2012 was absolutely beautiful at times. City lose a player who struggled with injury over the past two seasons and whose goals could be replaced. Cesc gets to play as a natural ‘10’ in the league he developed in, and Aguero reunites with his good buddy Leo back in familiar La Liga stomping grounds. There is the pesky Arsenal matter to consider, but that is hardly a deal-breaker, given the wealth of midfield talent currently at the Emirates.

So what do you guys think? Would this be a good deal? It probably is not even on Zubi’s radar, all things considered, but with strong enough interest there is certainly the possibility it could materialize in the next few months.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

Could a swap deal sending Francesc Fabregas to the Etihad while bringing Sergio Aguero to Barcelona be the right move for both parties? This writer thinks...possibly. So let’s take a look at the scenarios of both players and the practicality of such a deal.

If recent rumors are to be believed, Sergio Aguero is keen on moving to Barcelona to join up with his compatriot and national team scoring partner, Lionel Messi. Reportedly, Messi and Javier Mascherano have continuously worked to persuade the Manchester City striker to leave the Etihad for the Camp Nou. The only problem is actually working out a deal with Manchester City. Understandably, the English club is more than reluctant to sell a star player who is such a reliable source of goals, even if he has struggled with injuries over the past two seasons.

Then there is Cesc Fabregas. Over his three years in Barcelona, the midfielder has failed to lock down a consistent starting position and has found himself shunted around the field in an attempt to add his direct passing and positional anarchy into the traditional Barca structure. As a result, Cesc’s form has wavered massively, soaring and dipping from game to game but fairly consistently dropping off severely post-December. While obviously a productive player, Cesc has struggled in the bigger matches, tending to drift into anonymity while Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta run the show. The result of the former Arsenal captain’s time at Barca is nearly impossible to summarize. Loved by some, loathed by some, Cesc is a near constant topic of argument. Does he still belong in Barcelona? Did the Premier League eliminate any trace of the "Barca DNA" from his time in La Masia?

Personally, I do not think we will ever really know the answer to that question. In three seasons and three managers, Cesc has been lukewarm: good enough to stomach, but a player that never really satisfies. How many times have we found ourselves arguing over whether Cesc actually had a good game? Rarely is it obvious, and we as fans have displayed a similar level of inconsistency in our opinions of the player as the player has in level of play. Moreover, how many times have we said, "I guess he’ll understand positional play eventually"? Cesc, three years in, is still an enigma.

Now we look at Barcelona itself. After a trophyless season -- and that is all I will mention -- the club finds itself in a state of rebuilding. Multiple players out, multiple players in, a new manager, a new assistant sporting director, and loads of holes still to fill. It seems everyone has a different plan for what should be done, and I am no different.

That being said, I think everyone can agree that three main goals must still be accomplished. First, we must solidify the team defensively. This is obvious, as we have looked porous for years now, and we have not made a specific center back signing since Dmytro Chygrynskiy in 2009. Second, we must provide a top class plan of succession in midfield, given that the transfer ban may be reestablished and Xavi and Iniesta are reaching the end of legendary careers. Third, and perhaps the most underrated of all, we must add firepower. Firepower? Yes, goalscoring firepower. The thing we lacked against Atleti, Real Madrid, Elche, Granada, Valladolid, Sociedad, Valencia, Levante...

*Cue immediate comments being hammered out about goal differential and scoring 100 goals and having Messi, etc. etc.*

I have spoken at length about our struggles scoring this past season, even though Alexis had his best season yet in front of goal and Pedro did pretty well too. I will not be repeating myself here, because a numbers analysis would take way too long and I am over 500 words in and still have not gotten to my main point. However, believe me, this team needs natural goal scorers. We do not have a single natural predatory scorer in the team, Messi included. Oh snap, digression time.

This may sound crazy, given that he is the greatest scorer of all time, but Messi’s ridiculous, record-breaking scoring is because his level of football is higher than any other player ever. His goals are a product of simply being so unbelievably good that he can just score by the simple fact of being an incredible footballer. Messi does not need to have Falcao or Ronaldo’s skill set because he is already Messi and thus already better than everyone else. He does not need to pull off extraordinary back heels or bicycle kicks because just by playing his football he will score. This is awesome, but it also leaves us a little light because it requires Leo to ALWAYS produce pieces of individual brilliance. He may not look human sometimes, but he is, and it just is not practical to go into matches wishing for brilliance instead of having dedicated scorers. I know this will probably get a few comments, and as a deviation I would be interested to talk about it in more detail, but I really have to get to my main point.

If we accept that this team needs firepower and a truly natural scorer, there really is not a better-suited player for Messi to partner than Sergio Aguero. These two tear it up at the international level and share a near telepathic bond. Where Alexis and Neymar are naturally dribbling creators who can also score, Aguero is a pure finisher who can also dribble. The key difference is that Kun plays on the shoulder of the defender and sprints in behind to shoot on goal, while Neymar and Alexis want to seek the ball, turn, and attack on the dribble before making a final pass.

Then there is Aguero’s physique, a feature I have always underrated about him. Where Neymar, Pedro and Alexis are easily pushed off the ball, Aguero’s powerful, low center of gravity allows him to stay on it. I guess the traditional thinking to beat the bus is to go over it, but with Aguero, you go through it. Surprisingly, Aguero’s also very good on the cross. His finishing skills make him exceptional at meeting low crosses on the volley, and he’s underrated in the air as well. The main thing is, he attacks goal ferociously, where Messi tends to drift into pockets. Combining the two would be devastating.

Now the ugly question pops back up...how do we get him without paying 60 million or more? Simple. Why not a Cesc swap? Even if City would want a small amount of cash thrown on top, this deal makes plenty of sense for both parties. We get the scorer and #9 we need to give us the edge in big matches while losing an inconsistent midfielder we are not sure can take over for Xavi.

City gain a tremendous Premier League midfielder who scored 19 goals and managed 19 assists in one season, and who would slot in immediately to their lineup between Samir Nasri and David Silva. Cesc and Nasri shared a great relationship at Arsenal, and the linkup between Silva and Cesc at Euro2012 was absolutely beautiful at times. City lose a player who struggled with injury over the past two seasons and whose goals could be replaced. Cesc gets to play as a natural ‘10’ in the league he developed in, and Aguero reunites with his good buddy Leo back in familiar La Liga stomping grounds. There is the pesky Arsenal matter to consider, but that is hardly a deal-breaker, given the wealth of midfield talent currently at the Emirates.

So what do you guys think? Would this be a good deal? It probably is not even on Zubi’s radar, all things considered, but with strong enough interest there is certainly the possibility it could materialize in the next few months.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

VAMOS ARGENTINA

pernatural Messi will have an amazing World Cup'

Getty
    FEATURED

WORLD CUP 2014
    Why Spain can win the World Cup
    RELATED STORIES
    WORLD CUP 2014
    GoalToons: Maradona, Kempes and the great Argentina World Cup moments
    MAIN
    World Cup Betting Preview Group F: Why this might be the highest-scoring group
    WORLD CUP 2014
    Messi: I'm jealous of Maradona
    MAIN
    I can win Golden Boot - Aguero
    WORLD CUP 2014
    'Ronaldo and Messi worse than Suarez'
    Next
    Previous
    By Chris Myson0

01 Jun 2014 3:58:00 PM
    Ossie Ardiles, who won the competition with Argentina in 1978, believes his country's captain is ready to make a decisive mark on the tournament

Argentina star Lionel Messi is ready to deliver an amazing performance at the World Cup, according to Ossie Ardiles.

Ardiles, who won the World Cup with the Albiceleste in 1978 as part of a 52-cap international career, feels the Barcelona forward has been getting closer to rediscovering his best form after an injury-interrupted 2013-14 campaign.

This summer's competition in Brazil, meanwhile, represents the perfect opportunity for Messi to make his mark at a major tournament, after a disappointing showing in South Africa during the last World Cup.

“This time, Lionel Messi will give the performance we expect of him – I am sure of that,” Ardiles told Fifa’s official website.

“I reckon he is determined to have an amazing tournament, both on an individual and team level.

“He has got supernatural skill, a tactical awareness ahead of his time and can make the impossible look easy.

“He played excellently in the qualifiers and shouldered his responsibilities brilliantly - he was our main goalscorer and one of the most decisive players on the pitch.

“Until midway through this past season he was carrying an injury that he picked up at the end of the previous campaign, but I can see he is gradually getting back to his best.”

Ardiles was reluctant to compare Messi’s ability to that of his former team-mate, Diego Maradona, but was certain that the national team’s captain has already done enough to be considered an all-time great.

The 61-year-old former Tottenham star continued: “Messi should never be compared with any other player - that is a no-no.

“Every player has their own approach and style and, in my eyes, he is truly incomparable.

“I believe Messi is already one of the five best players in the history of the game. There is no doubt about that and he doesn’t have to win a World Cup to prove it.”

Argentina have two warm-up matches against Trinidad & Tobago and Slovenia to play before they begin their World Cup campaign against Bosnia-Herzegovina on June 15.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

Brazilian legend Pele believes that he would still be the best in the world if he still played today despite the game changing so much over time.

Pele is seen by many as the greatest footballer to have played the game and he is still the only player to have won three World Cup's, but with the game changing so much over time some would say the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are the best players to have played the game.

But not in Pele's eyes, as the all-time leading Brazilian goalscorer feels that he would still be top of the pile if he played in today's game.

He would have to be compared more to Messi than Ronaldo, as his short, agile play style often left defenders for dead.

His acceleration off the mark and ability to find space in between defenders saw Pele score countless goals throughout his career, and if he were to play in the modern game, there is no reason why he couldn't do so in terms of ability and playing style.

His issue would be his fitness, but with the right training and access to all of today's advancements in the game, Pele could very well be the best.

Speaking to Spanish newspaper El Pais ahead of the World Cup, the Brazilian icon explained how he would be still be better than the likes of Messi and Ronaldo.

"If I played now, I'd have to be as physically fit as they are [today's footballers], but I'd still be the best," he said.

"The reason is that God would have given me that gift."

"It's as if you were to ask Beethoven what type of music he'd compose in another era."

"Whatever music he did compose, he would do so with the same genius, but with other tools."

Pele scored 77 goals in 92 matches for Brazil, and is thought to have scored a staggering total of 1283 goals in his career.

He travelled to his first World Cup at just 17, and scored six goals, including a hat-trick against France, to help his side win the tournament and explains that the lack of responsibility helped him in his early days.

"In 1958 I was just 17 years old and just wanted to play. I also didn't feel I had much responsibility, those that had the experience were in charge."

The football legend scored 12 goals and got 10 assists in his 14 World Cup appearances, and is one of just two players to have ever scored a four separate World Cup finals, joined by German Uwe Seeler.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

Any team with Lionel Messi in it must be in with a shot of glory, and the Barcelona star has plenty of useful team-mates

Tweet
    +1
    Email
    PA
    Eyes on the prize: Messi will be key for Argentina this summer
    Argentina's rich World Cup history means that they are always viewed as contenders, but this summer sees the Albiceleste with their best chance in years as Lionel Messi leads them into a tournament on their own doorstep.

Much will be made of their phenomenal frontline, a combination of the craft and guile of Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain's knack for goalscoring and Lionel Messi's pure Messi-ness. But if things don't go so well then Alejandro Sabella will be crucified for the exclusion of Carlos Tevez, a justified move for the balance of the squad but a decision that will only be accepted by Carlitos' adoring public if Argentina succeed.

Sabella took over a bit of a mess in 2011 when Sergio Batista made a complete mess of the Copa America on home soil, and he set about building a side for the long term. Initially his reign was viewed as overly cautious and too reliant on the players he trusted from his time as Estudiantes manager - much like it would have been in England had Harry Redknapp got the England job and installed Michael Dawson and Scott Parker in the team. But gradually his side evolved into a cohesive unit, lethal in attack and, at the very least, functional in defence.

Having experimented with a variety of systems, Argentina also boast a tactical flexibility that few others at this summer's tournament can - something that may prove crucial in the latter stages.

But ultimately, the Albiceleste's tournament will have one narrative, and that is of Lionel Messi. Win and he is cemented as one of the all-time greats of the game in everybody's eyes. Fail and the soul-searching in Argentina will be considerable.

GettyArgentina
    Up for the challenge: Argentina will challenge in Brazil
    Key players
    Angel Di Maria – The tireless midfielder has had a superb season in an evolving role at Real Madrid and is the principle link man between Argentina’s serviceable back six and their incredible front three. If he plays well, they do.

Javier Mascherano – The Barcelona man is rarely used in midfield these days but will need all his defensive nous to shield the Argentine weakness – their back four. His anchor role is crucial in this side.

Lionel Messi – Apparently he’s decent.

Rising star
    There really aren’t that many young players in this squad, in fact the youngest is 24-year-old Marcos Rojo at left-back. With the team ahead of him he only needs to be solid and competent in order for Argentina to succeed, but previous showings haven’t been great. If you want a player that may shoot to greater fame then Federico Fernandez has a big role to play at the heart of the defence, but he’s still 25!

Form
    Pretty good. A rotated side played against Romania in March to give fringe players a chance to stake their claim and after a drab 0-0 draw it is fair to say that no-one did. They’ve not had a real test since playing Italy in Rom back in August and they won 2-1, even without Messi.

Expectation
    Win it.

Quirky fact
    Lionel Messi will be 26 at this World Cup, the same age as Diego Maradona when he inspired Argentina to victory at World Cup 1986. (Spoiler: This won’t be the last time parallels are drawn between these two this summer).

Offside1986 World Cup Finals in Mexico.
    Argentina footballer Diego Maradona speaks to the press during a training session.
    June 1986.
    History: Can Messi achieve the success this man managed?
    Full squad (three to be cut)
    Goalkeepers - Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors)

Defenders - Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Jose Basanta (Monterrey), Nicolas Otamendi (Atletico Mineiro)

Midfielders - Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ever Banega (Newell's Old Boys), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Jose Sosa (Atletico Madrid), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Enzo Perez (Benfica)

Forwards - Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain)

Fixtures (Group F)
    June 15 - Bosnia & Herzegovina
    June 21 - Iran

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...#ixzz33U7o7s00
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

Sabella's mission: Make Messi shine
    Monday, June 02, 2014 - 12:50 PM
    Source: AP

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella's challenge at the World Cup is as simple as it is daunting: Make the world's best player play at his best.

Lionel Messi has been brilliant for Barcelona, winning everything there is to win at club level. But he hasn't looked so good for Argentina's national team, failing to score a single goal in the last two major tournaments.

But that was before Sabella.

The 59-year-old Sabella seems to click better with Argentina's superstar than national team coaches before him. Messi has performed consistently for Argentina since Sabella took charge in 2011, scoring 10 times in 14 matches during World Cup qualifying - more than quarter of his total tally since his Argentina debut in 2005.

Sabella immediately made Messi captain and placed him in the middle or on the right flank of a three-man attack with Gonzalo Higuain and Sergio Aguero. Now Sabella can only hope that his top player arrives free of the injuries that kept him sidelined during the end of 2013.

"Messi is the best player in the world and any team will feel the difference without such a player," Sabella said after a Messi-less Argentina drew 0-0 with Ecuador in a November 15 friendly.

"When Messi is not there, the other players feel that, but they also know they must be strong and try to make up (for his absence)."

Sabella appears to have restored calm to a team that went through stormy times with Diego Maradona at the helm. Maradona's odd coaching style, which included hugging and kissing his players, didn't seem to bring out the best in Messi.

"The Flea" left the 2010 World Cup scoreless and humiliated as Argentina lost to Germany 4-0 in the quarterfinals.

A year later, under coach Sergio Batista, Messi again failed to score in regulation time as Argentina hosted the Copa America, though he had several assists and scored a penalty in a quarterfinal shootout that Argentina lost to Uruguay.

After a playing career that included stints with Sheffield United and Leeds, Sabella served as assistant to Daniel Pasarella at a number of clubs and national teams, including Argentina at the 1998 World Cup. Sabella took over Estudiantes in 2009 - his first job as head coach - and led the Argentine club to the Copa Libertadores title.

He had been expected to coach Al Jazira in the United Arab Emirates when he was suddenly tapped to replace Batista in 2011.

Sabella told FIFA.com that Argentina's chances are good with the "best player in the world" on the team and the World Cup being played in Brazil, which he described as the "house" next door.

"The only problem," Sabella said, "is that that house is owned by the five-time world champions."

©2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
    VAMOS ARGENTINA