Page 87 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Lio messi-7 Time ballondore winner "LM7"

aradona: Messi should take things easy
    Maradona: Messi should take things easy
    © AFP
    14 Jun 2014
    PA
    Listen

Lionel Messi takes centre stage in the FIFA World Cup™ on Sunday, facing Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Maracanã with dreams of returning to the stadium for the Final in four weeks' time.

Argentina arrive in Rio de Janeiro with expectations running high, not least that Messi will produce the kind of displays that were absent in South Africa four years ago. Diego Maradona is among those who believes that his injury-enforced break for three months last season should benefit Argentina, who are playing in the heartland of Brazil, their neighbours and most bitter rivals.

"I see Messi doing well. I think it was good for him to have a proper rest because he had gone four years hardly missing a match," Maradona said in Buenos Aires newspaper Ole. "I'd really like to speak to him now, and tell him to take things easy, not to listen to the idiots. There are a lot of them, unfortunately."

Argentina have a wonderfully-talented attack, so much so that coach Alejandro Sabella could afford to leave Carlos Tevez out of his squad. However, there are still question marks at the back, something readily admitted by Maradona who coached Argentina in 2010.

The team has more experience now, and that is very important in the World Cup.

Diego Maradona

He said: "We are looking good in attack but I am a bit worried about the defence, to be honest. But the team has more experience now [than in 2010], and that is very important in the World Cup."

That attacking strength is however causing a dilemma for coach Sabella. He has admitted that he favours a 5-3-2 formation, but he used a 4-3-3 set-up during the successful qualifying campaign, choosing not to squander his fire-power.

There have been indications in training this week that he is going to be more conservative against Bosnia and Herzegovia, which could mean Gonzalo Higuain misses out. Much, of course, will depend on Messi but Bosnia coach Safet Susic's insists he has no plans to man-mark the four-time FIFA World Player of the Year.

Susic said: "It is a dilemma for me, but to sacrifice a player just to man-mark Messi, I don't think it would be good for us. I don't think we have ever played a match having dedicated a player to man-mark a specific opponent, and it's going to be the same against Argentina."

This will be Bosnia and Herzegovina's World Cup debut, indeed their first major tournament having only played the first match as an independent nation in 1995 following the civil war and break-up of Yugoslavia.

Argentina defender Federico Fernandez says they are acutely aware of the threat of Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko. "He is a big player with a good aerial game," said Fernandez. "We have to stay close to him and be ready for potential crosses coming in from the flanks."
    VAMOS ARGENTINA
    VAMOS MESSIVAMOS MARADONA
    http://fat.gfycat.com/FinishedGenuineGar.webm

Lionel Messi hailed as one of greatest players in history of football
    • Argentina striker scores World Cup wonder goal against Bosnia
    • Coach Alejandro Sabella admits side must improve to progress
    Share 9

inShare
    Email
    Guardian staff and agencies
    theguardian.com, Monday 16 June 2014 07.43 BST
    Lionel Messi
    Lionel Messi scored only his second ever World Cup goal for Argentina in Sunday's 2-1 win over Bosnia-Herzegovina. Photograph: Matthias Hangst/Getty Images
    Argentina’s Lionel Messi was hailed as one of the best players of all time by his coach – whatever happens at the World Cup – after scoring a classic goal to see off Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Messi’s trademark run and strike will go down as one of the great World Cup goals even though it was only his second World Cup goal, eight years after his first. Yet the Argentina captain admitted he was just relieved the team had secured a 2-1 win in the Maracana after a disappointing first half.

Argentina had taken a lead in the third minute with a touch of fortune, Sead Kolasinac deflecting the ball into his own net, before Messi scored a stunning second after a superb run to make it 2-0.

Substitute Vedad Ibisevic grabbed a late goal for Bosnia - which could yet prove important in terms of qualification from Group F.

Messi said: “It’s important that we started off on the right foot with the three points, but we do have things we must improve. It’s not easy with all the anxiety and the nerves, but the important thing is the result. We had a great second half. We had the ball much more, created several opportunities and that’s what we have to continue to do.”

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella only awarded his team a mark of 6 out 10 and said his half-time changes to provide more support to Messi had been crucial.

Sabella said: “On balance I would give it a 6. We need to improve and part of that is in my hands - it is up to me.

“The changes at half-time just produced this improvement. They were playing better together and there was more support around Messi. Once Messi received the ball there was better follow-up and better support.

“I think that, whatever happens in this World Cup, he is among the best players in the history of football.”

Messi himself acknowledged the changes from five in defence to a 4-3-3 formation made it much easier for him and fellow striker Sergio Agüero.

He said: “As strikers, we prefer that system as it gives us more attacking opportunities and if we don’t use that system we suffer a bit. I was often on my own and so was Kun [Agüero] and it was very difficult, so there are things to be improved on.”

Sabella confirmed that he had taken Agüero off as he had seemed tired rather than for injury reasons, even though the Manchester City frontman had appeared to be limping.

Bosnia coach Safet Susic was satisfied with his team’s performance in a match which he said had been settled by one of the best players in the world of all time.

Susic said: “We are realistic people and our goal was to put as much resistance as possible to one of the favourites to win the title, and this is what we have done.

“I am satisfied with what I saw, especially after we had this misfortune to concede an own goal in the first couple of minutes.

“It is a huge satisfaction to take part for the first time in the World Cup and play against a great team and one of the best players in the world - and not only of today but of all time.”
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

The striker has been linked with a potential summer move to Camp Nou and suggested any offer to play alongside his international captain would be hugely tempting

Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain has admitted it would be "a great pleasure" for him to play with Lionel Messi at Barcelona.

Reports in Spain emerged on Sunday suggesting the Argentina was wanted by the Blaugrana as part of new head coach Luis Enrique's summer rebuilding plans.

Napoli promptly issued a statement later that day to quash talk of a transfer, insisting that "rumours to the effect that Higuain could be sold to Barcelona are entirely unfounded".

However, the striker himself has now further fuelled speculation by stating he would be thrilled to play alongside his Argentina captain at club level.

Speaking after the Albiceleste's 2-1 World Cup win over Bosnia-Herzegovina at the Maracana, in which Messi scored the decisive second, Higuain, when asked if he would be interested in a club link-up, told Efe: "Yes, of course. I enjoy it here with the national team. Obviously it would be a great pleasure, but my head is now in the World Cup.

"I'm happy for the interest from Barca. Any player would be happy."

Higuain came on as a second-half substitute in the clash at the Maracana as Argentina recorded a somewhat unconvincing win in their opening World Cup encounter.

The 26-year-old only left La Liga last summer, as he joined Rafa Benitez's Napoli from Real Madrid, where he went on to score 24 goals during the 2013-14 campaign.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

Press Conference with Messi & Rojo

The National Team resumes their training on Monday back at their main campus Cidade do Galo following the win over Bosnia and now with Iran on their mind. This time it was Man of the Match, Lionel MESSI and Marcos ROJO’s turn to address to the media after their afternoon practice session.
    MESSI said it’s never an easy task playing your first match in the World Cup. On how he felt after the first round of group matches?
    "In the first games, the top teams were Holland and Germany. But as we play the next two matches, all the teams will get better."
    He also admitted that it was a special feeling to score his first goal in the World Cup since 2006 and that he indeed wanted to celebrate it. He also mentioned that team remains focus and no outside influence will affect them.
    On Gonzalo HIGUAIN “SABELLA knew that we need to make some changes upfront and by bringing Gonzalo, we had many chances to score."
    "It was a beautiful and warm atmosphere to watch many people singing the National Anthem. That was a special moment. Personally I did expect and knew that a lot people are excited and eager about the first game. I’m sure the next game will be the same."
    On Fernando GAGO coming in, he said the team had a better understanding and which allow them to have more control on the ball. Also he didn’t expect Spain to lose by such a huge margin.
    On he felt about this current team “It took us four years of the previous World Cup and we will continue to grow. I have great affinity with this group, I am happy with this team."
    Lastly on the prospect of Gonzalo HIGUAIN joining him at Barcelona “Heard about the possibility of signing Gonzalo, I talked to him about it and it would be great to have one of the best strikers in the world playing for Barca."
    Marcos ROJO said that Brazil as the home team is the favourite "Brazil as the home team is looking strong and good. It’s going to be difficult, but we are here and we are working very hard and looking forward."
    On playing his first World Cup “Yesterday was my debut game. I felt the adrenaline and was living with excitement because this was a different."
    He also urged the fans to be calm and that the team is working with enthusiasm and have faith that they will give everything.
    VAMOS ARGENTINA

two matches 2 MOTM's

7. Likes MHP369 liked this post

Guys,

Where to watch the second match today...???

Netherlands Vs Chile... @ 9.30.???? any idea...??

Sony six is telecasting Spain Vs Australia at 9.30 pm

Quote Originally Posted by Guruji View Post
    Guys,

Where to watch the second match today...???

Netherlands Vs Chile... @ 9.30.???? any idea...??

Sony six is telecasting Spain Vs Australia at 9.30 pm
    sony pix......

thanks MHP

12. Likes MHP369 liked this post