Page 5 of 493 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: SANDALWOOD (Kannada)

200 movie halls to be upgraded for 3D flick

A Sandalwood producer has taken on the task of converting around 200 movie halls in the state into 3D compliant ones. Possible? BT finds out

Sharanya CR

The movie Avatar may have been the talking point among movie goers for its silver screen wizardry a few years ago and Titanic 3D may have sunk a few records of its own in its new avatar, but what’s raised many an eyebrow, is a Sandalwood filmmaker’s attempt to convert over 200 cinema halls into 3D-enabled ones.
    According to the Gandhinagar grapevine, producer Munirathna is in the process of converting 200 theatres across the state to allow 3D format screening. So, is this Herculean task that he’s taken on an act of charity or is it all done to aid the release of his next film? Munirathna, says, “While films like Titanic are being converted from 2D to 3D, ours was shot using a 3D camera. But since most theatres in Karnataka are not 3D compliant, we have decided to convert around 150 to 200 theatres to facilitate this. Normal screens will not give you the 3D effect and that’s one of the reasons why we are converting the
    screens into 3D format.
    IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE?
    Converting about 200 theatres into the 3D format is no joke. KCN Mohan of Navrang theatre, says, “We wanted to be one of the first theatres to launch 3D compatible screens when Jogaiah released. We spent nearly 72 lakh on the conversion process and finally the film did not match up to expectations. Munirathna has proposed changes, but I am not aware how far it will work. Spending around 72 lakh for a theatre is impossible as even a pair of 3D glasses today costs around 300 each. Even a low-end version will set them back by 1 or 2 lakh. I am not sure how they will implement it.” ‘The 3D film will be affordable to all’
    We have spent so much on the making of the film and if it’s not going to be evident when the audience is watching it, then there is no point,” says Munirathna.
    While Bangalore, Mysore, and Mangalore and a few other cities in Karnataka have 3D theatres, Munirathna is planning to venture into other regions like Tumkur, Haasan, and Mandya.
    So what really goes into converting a normal screen into 3D? Gee Mon Pullely, a 3D stereoscopic expert, explains, “To project a 3D film, you need a silver screen. A normal white screen and a pair of 3D glasses will not suffice. The silver screen has a polarized technology, which will help in giving a three dimensional image. Since you need a ‘left’ and ‘right’ image, you need another projector to get the desired effect. Since the technology has improved at a massive scale, you will require advanced 3D glasses as well.”
    Considering that the makers are investing a lot in the film, how do they plan to make their money back? Not willing to reveal his expenses, Munirathna, says, “We will be releasing the films in two versions — 2D and 3D — and will be giving use and throw 3D glasses to the viewers as well. We are still calculating the cost of the ticket. Though it will be slightly higher, we will work around a price that is affordable to all.”

Ramya and Upendra in the upcoming Kannada 3D film

Munirathna

Last edited by Saathan; 04-23-2012 at 04:32 AM.

first film completely shot in 3d camera in Kannada KATARI VEERA SURA SUNDARANGI- all set to release on May 4..

Pyarge Aagbittaithe..., a Kannada-Urdu song in Komal's latest film, Govindaaya Namaha, went viral on the internet, clocking more than one million hits, even before the film was released.

With the Kolaveri Di rage dying slowly following the disastrous opening of the Tamil film 3, the song from Govindaaya Namaha, which hit the screens on the same day, may be replacing it.

Before the release of Govindaaya Namaha, the song was flagged on Youtube for showing too much violence. This has not stopped Pyarge Aagbittaithe from being well on its way to becoming the first hit of 2012.

The music director of the film, Gurukiran, has given credit to the director, newcomer Pavan Wadeyar, for the fresh lyrics.

The song has been picturised in black-and-white retro style in the beginning, and then becomes more folkish, before turning into a very filmy tune. It has been picturised in different colours -- black-and-white, sepia, and multi-colour -- to reflect the changing mood.

It's both nostalgic and contemporary.

Pyarge Aagbittaithe is sung by Chethan and Indu Nagaraj. The moves were choreographed by Murali on Komal and newbie Parul Yadav, and the location was Bijapur Fort and Ibrahim Roza

The Raghu Dixit Project, fronted by the unstoppable musical phenomenon that is Raghu, is all set to perform for Queen Elizabeth II of England and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, at a spectacular Diamond Jubilee Pageant marking 60 years since her accession to the throne in 1952.

The performance will take place at the private grounds of Windsor Castle on May 13, where there will be a special performance by over 550 horses as well as dancers, performers and artists from across the world. The show will be broadcast to over 6 million viewers in the UK and over 240 countries worldwide.

Dixit, the only musician representing India, will curate a special music and dance performance that will feature dancers from the Bangalore-based Indian contemporary dance company Nritarutya.

An elated Raghu says, "I am overwhelmed at the opportunity to perform for the Queen and the entire royal family at Windsor Castle. We are putting together a music and dance extravaganza choreographed by Mayuri Upadhya from Nritarutya, one of India's best dance companies, who will accompany me on stage along with all the Queen's horses! I still can't imagine what that will look like!"

Before this performance, Raghu will appear on BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show on April 15. The renowned show has seen top politicians make news, cultural icons inform and entertain and the UK's most influential commentators share their insights.

With a viewership of over two million, the show has had appearances by some of the biggest stars, including Angelina Jolie, Jay-Z, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Kate Winslet. Interestingly, this will be the third time Raghu performs on national television in the UK (the other two shows being Later...With Jools Holland and a Glastonbury special for BBC Two).

Following that, The Raghu Dixit Project will be part of an innovative new musical, A Tale Retold, produced by The British Council. The performance will be an hourlong rendition of an Indian folk tale by Dixit, members of British indie-folk group Bellowhead and UK-based Indian classical dancer Gauri Sharma Tripathi.

The trio will showcase their respective artistic styles in a narrative directed by acclaimed director Jude Kelly, with theatre director Quasar Padamsee as assistant director. A Tale Retold will have songs written in English, Hindi and Kannada and will be partinteractive, incorporating bold visual imagery using projected animation to deploy imaginative ways to provide translation. It will premier at the Alchemy Festival in London on April 18 and 19 and debut in India in January 2013.

Other artists who will perform for the Queen

Other artists who will perform at the Diamond Jubilee Pageant include Grammy-nominated Susan Boyle, American classical violinist David Garrett, Australian entertainer Rolf Harris, South African actors from the West End smash hit The Lion King, who will be joined on stage by the Nairobi Chamber Chorus and Watoto Children's Choir and classical maestros Il Divo.

The narrators for the evening include Dame Helen Mirren, Alan Titchmarsh, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Omid Djalili and Martin Clunes.

Much awaited Kannada movie starring Puneeth Rajkumar and directed by Duniya Soori, Anna Bond s being released on May st..It s being released in Sharjah, Dubai and Al Quoz simultaneously ..check out the timing..

CONCORDE Cinema Sharjah
    Phone: 06-5623956
    Date: 03-05-2012 - 4:30PM
    Date: 04-05-2012 - 4:30PM

Galleria Dubai Cinema -Dubai
    Phone: 04-2737676
    Date: 03-05-2012 - 7:30PM
    Date: 04-05-2012 - 1:30PM

Al Quoz Mall Bollywood Cinema
    Phone: 04-3469707
    Date: 03-05-2012 - No Show
    Date: 04-05-2012 - 7:30PM
    I steal from every movie ever made.
    Quentin Tarantino

Ambareesh, Kannada cinema's rebel star celebrates his 60th birthday next month. He looks back fondly on his career.

In terms of leadership, he filled the vacuum left by the legendary Dr. Rajkumar and Dr. Vishnuvardhan in Kannada cinema. Ambareesh, the rebel star of Kannada cinema, is turning 60 on May 29 and completing 40 years in cinema. The Kannada film industry will mark the event on a grand scale — noted director S. Narayan and producer Rockline Venkatesh have assumed the responsibility of making the evening a memorable one.

M.H. Amarnath, aka Ambareesh, was born on May 29, 1952 in Mandya District, in a family with a strong musical background. He is the grandson of the renowned violinist T. Chowdiah. His career may have been due to his habit of bunking classes, he admits. “I was not good at studies and an ordinary student. Had I passed in one subject in PUC, I would have become a doctor,” says Ambareesh with a mischievous smile.

During the golden age of Kannada films, the 1970s, Puttanna Kangal was searching for the right kind of actors for his landmark film “Nagarahavu”, based on the trilogy of noted writer Ta.Ra.Su. Vishnuvardhan was already selected to play the lead role, Ramachari, and Arathi was his heroine. Puttanna was searching for a new face with rough looks. His friend Sangram Singh recommended Ambareesh for the role.

“I was not interested in acting at that time,” says Ambareesh. “I went into hiding to avoid the screen test. But my friend Sangram was determined to pull me into cinema. Afraid to face Puttanna, he desperately started hunting me out. After locating me he literally dragged me to Premier Studio,” he recalls. “Puttanna took one look at me and instructed the makeup man. I thought he would reject me, but I was proved wrong, as he slotted me for the powerful role of an eve-teasing college boy. One day during the shooting, Puttanna told me I would become a big star. I asked how a villain could become a star.”

Puttanna's words proved prophetic. Ambareesh played the role of Jaleel, and his famous line “Bul bul maatadadkilwa” caught the attention of one and all. A new villain was born. He played the same role in “Zehreela Insaan”, the Hindi remake of “Nagarahavu”. Ambareesh played a hero in “Amarnath” and his first success as hero was in “Antha”, directed by his close friend S.V. Rajendra Singh Babu. The film created a record of sorts in the history of Kannada films and was remade in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu. He played the role of protagonist Kanwar Lal and his line “Kutte Kanwar nahi, Kanwar Lal bolo” catapulted him to stardom.

Ambareesh has acted in about 208 films, and his famous films are “Paduvaralli Pandavaru”, “Ranganayaki”, “Chakravyuha”, “Shubha Mangala”, “Rani Maharani”, “Garuda Dwaja”, “Ranaberi”, “Jai Karnataka”, “Guru Jagadguru”, “Vijaya Kankana”, “Toni”, “Rowdy MLA”, “Hrudaya Haaditu”, and “Olavina Udugore”.

He received the State Award, the NTR award from the Andhra Pradesh Government and the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award. He also received Karnataka State Award for Best Actor for his role in “Antha” and for best supporting actor in the film “Masanada Hoovu”. The best film of his career, he feels, is “Ranganayaki”, directed by Puttanna. He has the greatest regard for the actor's director.

Ambareesh has a huge fan following. He ventured into politics and was elected to the Lok Sabha from Mandya constituency. He served as Minister of State for Broadcasting. During the Cauvery crisis he resigned from the Lok Sabha as a gesture of support to his people. “How could I sit in Parliament, when the people who elected me were on streets in protest against Cauvery Tribunal verdict?” asks Ambareesh. However, he admits he has become frustrated. “I am really ashamed with present-day politics,” he says.

Of late, Ambareesh is considered the ‘messiah' of the crisis-ridden Kannada film industry for settling disputes, and compared to Karna of the Mahabharata because he helps those in crisis. He seldom minces his words, but he is regarded as one without enemies. He shrugs off the praise. He refuses to compare himself with Dr. Rajkumar. “Don't compare with me Annavru. My age does not permit me to take leadership of the film industry. I will do my best whenever somebody comes with a problem,” he says with humility.

Ambareesh's 60th birthday is a big event for the Kannada film industry, as Ambareesh is one of the pillars of Kannada cinema, according to Venkatesh, one of the organisers of the event. “He unites everyone and will always be there in times of crisis, besides ensuring the industry sails smoothly. The industry is coming together for this show as a mark of respect.” Rehearsal for the event is on now in full throttle. All the female leads from Ambareesh's films will participate, adding a nostalgic touch to the evening.

Rediff review..

Director Suri's Anna Bond with Puneet Rajkumar and Priya Mani [ Images ] in the lead is a clear departure from the clean family entertainers that Rajkumar Production is known for. It is probably the first time that violence has been glorified to satisfy Puneeth fans while giving the storyline short shrift.

It's Puneeth's film all the way. Although director Suri has tried to weave a romance into the narrative, it still remains wholly an action film.

Bond Ravi (Puneeth Rajkumar), a karate teacher, takes a liking to Meera (Priya Mani), a documentary filmmaker who comes to Ravi's village with Divya (Nidhi Subbaiah [ Images ]) to film and educate the villagers.

The story begins with Ravi going in search of Charlie (Jackie Shroff [ Images ]), who is a gangster and a drug peddler. There's Chandrakanth (Avinash) who is said to have killed Charlie's wife but actually brings her up.

Charlie is in search of his daughter whom he had deserted and he begins harassing Chandrakanth seeking possession of his daughter. Divya gets killed by Charlie unknowingly. Charlie kidnaps Meera and thus Bond Ravi's task is cut out.

Whether he frees Meera from Charlie's clutches forms the rest of the story.

The film may go over big with Puneeth's fans. But it is surprising that Puneeth agreed to star in a total action film when most of his popular films have seen him playing soft romantic roles, or are family entertainers with doses of action thrown in.

Priya Mani charms with her smile and her expressions. Nidhi Subbaiah is lively but has very little to do in the film.

Rangayana Raghu and Ninasam Satish's witty dialogues keep the proceedings light.

Puneeth sings the song Kaanadante Maayavadanu that he had sung as a child artiste some 30 years ago in his father's film Chelisuva Modagalu. Of course, the same innocence is obviously lacking. Harikrishna's music is adequate but not as melodious as his compositions in Jackie.

Cinematographer Satya [ Images ] Hegde's frames are superb and tight. His camera work sets the tone for the film although he doesn't get much support from the story. But director Suri has not come out of his Jackie fixation.

Stay clear of this film if you are not a Puneeth fan!

Excellent Opening for 'Anna Bond'

It is a terrific opening for Anna Bond released on 1st May – Workers Day all over Karnataka. This is the 18th film of power star Puneeth Rajkumar as hero starring from ‘Appu’ in 2002. The shows of ‘Anna Bond’ began at 6 am in some part of Karnataka and in over 160 screens average of five shows were ‘Anna Bond’ zoom.

In a place like Bengaluru at the Santosh theatre when Power star Puneeth Rajakumar, Raghavendra Rajakumar arrived there was mild lathi charge and police had tough time in controlling the excess flow of the audience.

It was a record in theatre history. At Meera Alam in Hospet the show of ‘Anna Bond’ started at 4.30 am while in Davanagere Ashok theatre the first show began at 5.30 am. The fans of Puneeth Rajakumar standing in long hours in the queue over night were common in many of the theatres. There was traffic jam in KG Road and at Navrang theatre in Rajajinagara.

For the cut outs in front of the Santosh theatre the milk Abhisekha was done. Power star Puneeth Rajakumar and his brother Raghavendra Rajakumar offered pooja at Ganesha and Annamma Temple nearby Anand Rao circle in the morning.
    My ratings for last 5 Lalettan movies:
    * 01/24 - Malaikottai Vaaliban - 4/5
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5
    * 10/22 - Monster - 2.6/5
    * 05/22 - 12th Man - 2.5/5