Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Intoxicating Spirit

Default The Intoxicating Spirit

Theatre: Sreekumar, Trivandrum
    Show: Matinee, 14-06-2012

I had high expectations on Spirit. Mohanlal-Ranjith combo after the latter moved on to meaningful cinema. After the film, I was extremely happy with what I had seen; but I was also left with a lot of lingering thoughts on how it could have been better. Like Pranchiyettan, Spirit places all the eggs in a single basket. A film entirely reliant on the lead actor to make it special.

What I would call post-Kayyoppu second half syndrome strikes again. Underwhelming and lazy writing in the second half. Slightly evident in Paleri(quite contentious though), Pranchiyettan, and now in Spirit. I thought Indian Rupee was relatively free from this. Take this with a bucket of salt though. These films are still miles ahead of other contemporary films. Its just that, Ranjith can do a lot better. Its a bit more damning when you see the kind of threads lying around in the script which could make for even more compelling cinema. Relationship between Raghunandan and his son, I felt could have been used in way more effective manner. Nandu's story felt very undercooked and rushed to be honest. Ranjith could have woven in a middle-class character which honestly would have been an accurate reflection of an everyday Malayalee.

Heartening to see Ranjith use more visuals to converse with the viewer along with his trademark dialogues. A couple of them were overdone though. Lal enjoying the sights and sounds of daily life without the effect of spirit was simply superb.

Mohanlal carries the film throughout with a remarkable performance. His best in a long time and he underlines his greatness yet again. The performance simply proves why he is head and shoulders above his contemporaries. Not just his trademark drunk scenes, the subtle change of emotions when Shankar breaks the bad news to him, his high power monologues in the talk show etc are a treat for the viewers. I have been drawing parallels between Raghunandan and Dr. House (from the eponymous TV series) ever since I watched the film. I always wanted to see Lal in such a role and I guess this is the closest we would get. What would have made the film even more gripping would have been Lal's battle against Spirit similar to how Dr. House battles his vicodin addiction. This battle got only a few scenes, though they were quite good. Ranjith could have written in a combination between Lal and Thilakan here.

Shankar Ramakrishnan was apt for the role. He did a good job of what was on offer. Kaniha was also good. Sidharth Bharathan had a good outing, which should have been an expanded role. Nandu had a good role after a long time. Heartening to see someone fresh. Thilakan was criminally underused. Whatever little we saw was terrific. Combination scenes with Lal would have been an absolute treat. Tini Tom get a good role yet again and delivers it to perfection.

Camera work was adequate, with some good use of lighting to convey mood. Editing was at par with the demand of the film. BGM was also good. Songs had great lyrics. But I didn't find the songs to be hummable in spite of having good music. Artwork is excellent with a wonderful little Koshy's bar, a well designed Casa Rosa resort, and Raghunandan's house strewn with a wide variety of poison.

TL;DR: Spirit remains an excellent watch despite of its shortcomings in the script. Must watch for an amazing performance from Mohanlal and yet another good effort from the master, Ranjith.

Rating: Very Good

Postscript: What I ultimately wanted after watching Spirit was to see Mohanlal play Kuttiyappan in Leela penned by Ranjith. It was amazing to see the result of the work by the two of them and I believe that Ranjith+Mohanlal in Leela would be totally awesome.
    Last edited by nryn; 06-15-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typos, thanks KKR ;-)

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

thanks adyam..ini vayikkatte..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nryn View Post

Postscript: What I ultimately wanted after watching Spirit was to see Mohanlal play Kuttiyappan in Leela penned by Ranjith. It was amazing to see the result of the work by the two of them and I believe that Ranjith+Mohanlal in Leela would be totally awesome.

Shankar Mahadevan alla Shanker Ramakrishnan.. ..

for the review..
    തോണി നിറഞ്ഞ് പ്രാണൻ കവിഞ്ഞ്
    ഈണമായ് നമ്മിൽ.... മെല്ലേ...മായാനദി...

.........k|...E.....@.9.R...?)..S..P#e..Z 8.T....=.......

shankar ramakrishnan ryt..thnx 4 review

Thankz awesome reviewww

Kathirunna review...

Machante reviews vayikkunathe oru spirit aanu..

Shankar paranjirunnu, Lal aanu Leelayile Kuttiyappan cheyyan ettavum apt ennu
    Everyone wants a Bhagat Singh to be born, but not in their house!

Thanks nryn..

Quote Originally Posted by Brother View Post
    thanks adyam..ini vayikkatte..!!!
    Welcome Brother...

Quote Originally Posted by K K R View Post
    Shankar Mahadevan alla Shanker Ramakrishnan.. ..

for the review..
    Welcome KKR...

Quote Originally Posted by malayalamfilmfan View Post
    Thanks Macha
    Welcome mff...

Quote Originally Posted by longan View Post
    shankar ramakrishnan ryt..thnx 4 review
    Welcome longan...correct chaiythittundu!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Thankz awesome reviewww
    Welcome Jabbar...

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Kathirunna review...

Machante reviews vayikkunathe oru spirit aanu..

Shankar paranjirunnu, Lal aanu Leelayile Kuttiyappan cheyyan ettavum apt ennu
    Welcome warlord...thanks for the kind words.
    Aa short story onnu nokkiyaal thanne mansilaavum, Lal nu vendi achitta polethe kathapaathramaanu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jithu View Post
    Thanks nryn..
    Welcome jithu...