Thread: Late Review:Philips and the Monkey Pen:a very special movie...

Thumbs up Late Review:Philips and the Monkey Pen:a very special movie...

Theatre:Trivandrum Sree
    Day and show:27th November:02:30 pm

First of all,let me confess that i have a special liking for movies of this genre where the main focus is on children,be it Ayyappantamma neyyappam chuttu or Manjadikkuru.This movie is very special to me as it took me back to those wonderful school days when life was just fun.The plot may not look completely realistic,but looks so in parts.A cool,soft and engaging script,brilliant execution by the debutant director duo and some awesome,lively performances by the cast makes it a treat......

I must use a whole paragraph to praise the cast,especially the children.Ryan and his class mates absolutely stunned me with their skills.All of them have been teriffic in conveying emotions(at times,very subtle),dialogue delivery,comedy timing and dubbing.Dubbing is one of the most difficult things for a movie actor and Ryan's performance in this section is mindblowing.In one of the scenes where he gets severe beatings,his dubbing looks top class reproducing every single breathes in the studio....And the boy who played Jugru rocks with his natural expressions and humor....Jayasurya just goes on to show that he is a versatile actor who loves being known as an actor rather than as a star.He has lived the character and brings in a lot of charm.Mukesh,Innocent,Vijay Babu and Joy Mathew have shown complete faith to their characters.Though Ramya looked good as Ryan's mother,a better casting could have made the role more soulful.

Script,as i have mentioned,is very humorous and engaging though there are a few loopholes here and there.Technical side is top class adding more colour to the movie.Cinematographer and sound mixer have done commendable jobs and the director duo has executed the movie very efficiently.

Special mention to all for the way they reproduced a real school with all its soul.Some scenes,like the one in which the leader writes down the names of the talkers is so natural and gets me back to my school memories.Then,the script writer has tried to make us aware of a great danger which can risk the lives of our children.Hope some school management addresses the issue of transport of children immediately and effectively.....
    So over all,a meaningful,a bit childish,humorous feel good movie which is very special to me...
    My rating:4.5/5

Last edited by Ranjithfan; 11-29-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: incomplete

2. Likes VIJAYASURYA, Film Freak, Sal kk liked this post
  3. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Thanks bhai

Thanks Machan

thanks.....

Thanks Ranjithfan ...............

Thanks Macha