View Poll Results: Is Drishyam the movie of the Decade?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 66.67%
  • No

26 22.81%
  • Not Sure

12 10.53%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Party time !!! Drishyam breaking All Records! (Chithram Nostalgia Turning 25 Years!)

Default Party time !!! Drishyam breaking All Records! (Chithram Nostalgia Turning 25 Years!)

Party time !!! Drishyam breaking All Records! (Chithram Nostalgia Turning 25 Years!)

Dear Friends....Time for A Rare Celebration!!!...First of a kind in World Cinema!!!

In 1988....Chithram (The Biggest Ever Blockbuster in Malayalam with 365 days Run !!!)
    After 25 Years,
    In 2013.....Drishyam (The Biggest Ever Grosser in Malayalam, breaking all records!!!)

This is my Tribute to two great Movies, I was fortunate enough to watch at the Theatre....The Impact is damn Nostalgic!....Here, I attempt to relive the experience of watching these two wonderful films......

"Some films entertain……..Some thrill…………Some make you think…..Yet, Some others really consume you…..you leave theatre spellbound and speechless!....They are called Classics"!

Drishyam......First Experience!

It is not often you get fulfilment after a movie watch………After watching the Drishyam, I left the theatre spell bound with emotional turmoil and completely satisfied......Drishyam provided a complete Experience!...... It is easily is the best commercial Movie I watched in the last 20 years…Let me mention what I think the Highlights of the movie…

Theme

Theme is the heart of a movie …Here, it is seriously good……An ordinary man’s Endurance and Heroic fight to save his family…..Ithile Lalettante Sthanathu nammal ayalum ithu pole okke attempt cheyyille…(Athu successful ayillenkil polum).......Theme is relavant, contemporary, emotional,thrilling & inspiring…

Script

Superb Script…..First half is sweet and enjoyable……Interval punch is superb…..Second half is thrilling,emotinal,awe inspiring……Climax is Grand…..What a wonderful combination….A True Recipe for a Commercial Movie…..Pacing of the movie is excellent…..Also with great logic…the film is convincing…..All the hero does is acceptable with little exaggeration.

Direction

Director is the ultimate Selector & Decision Maker…………………He selects the theme,scripts,location,Artists,Music,BGM,shots,cos tume, Pace of the movie , cuts,Climax, even Hair Style( If Lalettan looks great in the film, credit goes to Jeethu Joseph)……..Everything….I think the Direction of the film is perfect & immaculate…..The first half feels good with simple jokes and character building…….(He has brought out the Best of Lalettan…… captivating smile, comic gestures, mannerisms, timing , innocencence etc after ‘Hallo’ & ‘Arabi’)…..He has avoided heroisms even when it can be justified( esp in the Police Station scene)……There is no moral preaching like Sathyan, Ranjith movies….(It is hidden)……Good narrative technique with some key secrets revealed only towards climax through in bits & parts...(Climax is real Class!)

Performance

Mohanlal deserves special mention because he has given a new dimension to George kutty….It is Mohanlal’s charm that saves the movie in the first half……….He just makes the audience love the character and makes them justify his action even when it is against the Law…..It is not easy to portray a family character for Lalettan & Ikka without resemblance to their previous immortal characters ( I think that explains Ikka’s rejecting the script….He has done tons of great family man roles in the past…… Had he accepted the role, it would have definitely resembled “Palunku” )……Lalettan did a wonderful job sprinkling humour to the character with his subtle comic expressions (This is the Lalettan that I love most)…..He is damn convincing as George Kutty……He has handled humour & emotions well (Sheer class!) .......Meena & Sidique also performed well....So are the kid and the girl....... Special Mention to Shajon & Asha Sharath….It is not often audience shout abusive language agaist –ve characters……Every one did a good job (credit goes to Director)

Rating & Verdict

It is a real classic!......there is no point in hair splitting analysis to find out its drawback of a Classic.....Therefore, I give it 5/5.....For me, Drishyam is........Best of Mohanlal film in the last two Decades…..Masterpiece of Jeethu Joseph...And Movie of the Decade!......Go for it.....Highly Recommended!.......

Why Drishyam…Movie of the Decade ?

Swarnathinte maattariyanamenkil athu urachu nokkanamennu parayarundu.........Here, I am applying Touch Stone Method to Drishyam (2013) by comparing it with some of the fine movies released during the last 13 years ....…

Super Movies so far (2000-2013)

1) Ente Veedu Appoonteyum (2003)
    2) Passenger (2009)
    3) Black (2004)
    4) Manasinakkare (2003)
    5) Naran (2005)
    6) Udayananu Tharam (2005)
    7) Thanmathra (2005)
    Classmates (2006)
    9) Arabikadha (2007)
    10) Paleri Manikyam (2009)
    11) Pranchiyettan (2010)
    12) Traffic (2011)
    13) Mumbai Police (2013)
    14) Notebook (2006)
    15) Pazhassiraja (2009)

Among the above mentioned movies, “Black”, “Naran”,”Udayananu Tharam” are formula films with exaggerated plot and characterisation……..

”Ente Veedu” & “Manasinnakare”, “Thanmathra” & “Classmate”s are somewhat melodramatic…..

”Mumbai police” is a superb emotional thriller but, Climax not convincing with the lack of a solid murder motive and less detailed modus operandi ….

”Passenger” is a a well made inspiring thriller but the clichéd investigative journalist Versus corrupted politician stuff makes is formulaic and exaggerated……

”Notebook” is worthy of attention as it deals with a tabooed yet, relavant theme But, the whole process looks quite artificial with numerous highly improbable film situations…….

”Arabikadha” is inspiring but, not realistic with highly exaggerted life situations. The End result is a good polical fantasy satire ….

”Pranchiyettan” is a good social satire in the league of Sathyan –Sreeni films. It is, at times preachy and lacks of serious content prevent it from becoming a real classic. ……

”Pazhassiraja” is one of the well made historical films in Malayalam and technically stunning but, Lack of an engaging, thrilling script resulted in damn predictable tale, making it arduous to watch.

It is really hard to pick from “Traffic”,”Paleri Manikyam” & “Drishyam”……

”Paleri manikyam” is brilliant, but whole Investigation Process and motive of the investigator seems thoroughly artificial and …

“Traffic” is a path breaking film in MaIayalam in terms of narrative brilliance. However, apart from technical brilliance and racy narration, there is little to touch the heart of a common man. It is a rich man’s world where an influential father saves his daughter’s life with help of his supporters and state machinery.

Unlike the above flicks, “Drishyam” deals with a serious, contemporary issue with all seriousness without much gimmicks……Everyone can easily identify himself/herself with the Protagonist in his heroic attempt to save his family….The whole film is well packaged with right entertainment quotient….. (fun & thrill)….Yet, avoiding heroism and exaggerated life situations. A whole genre (Family Movies) has been redefined……making it an Excellent Commercial Movie that appeals to all types of film viewers ………

I prefer to choose Drishyam as the Movie of the Decade in Malayalam taking into consideration its Quality.....Popularity....Social Importance......Aesthetic Appeal & Entertainment

Request to FK Members: Participate in the Poll

My opinion is strictly personal….. People have their own priorities…..I respect that.That is why I have added a poll : “Is Drishyam”, Movie of the Decade” ? In this thread.....While I am sure about that, I would like to know the opinion of rest of us in the forum…..Therefore I humbly request all who have watched Drishyam & read my Review to participate in the poll…..I would be grateful if those who vote against the film, also mention their personal choice here.

Trivia, Interesting Facts

1988, December.........Chithram.................Movie of the Decade! (1980s)
    1993, December......Manichithrathazhu........Movie of the Decade!(1990s)
    2013, December..........Drishyam................Movie of the Decade!(Millenium)

What a historic Coincidence![/FONT]

Drishyam…………….Second Thoughts

Date : 14.01.2013
    Theatre: Eramalloor – Saniya Platinum
    Show: Matinee (2.45pm)

Eramalloor Saniya

It is the only Platinum Theatre in Alappuzha with Excellent Facilities…….My first experience was horrible when I went to watch “Vellaripravinte Changathi”, with my wife in the first week itself, after reading positive comments in FK ….. I had to wait an extra hour there as the Manager was adamant that the show would begin only if there are 20 viewers!...... But, today it was quite different….. The Theatre overflowed with families and I had to watch Drishyam (27th Day) sitting in the front seats…..I predict 50 days run here, where 3 weeks run is considered great……

What is amazing about Drishyam?

High Seriousness

This is something that caught my attention…..The the whole film, apart from first 45 minutes or so, seemed damn serious like “Kireedam” without much entertainment ingradients ……There was pin drop silence in the hall where audience laughed only during Lalettan –Meena combo Scenes and clapped in the climatic scenes!.......Entertainment (in the strictest sense) wise, the viewers had little to cheer about!.......Yet, they were thoroughly satisfied after the film and their expressions told the story….This film is becoming the Ultimate Blockbuster in Malayalam!..........Amazing !!!

Before Drishyam………. Amaram,Valsalyam, Akashadhooth and Kireedam, Bharatham were great successes here but not BBs….Drishyam is the only family movie in recent times to become a BB, not to speak about ATBB…..

What makes Drishyam……so popular?

I think the following Major factors accounts for the phenomenal never-seen-before popularity of Drishyam

1) Georgekutty
    2) The Mohanlal Factor
    3) Contemporary Relavance
    4) Common Man Vs Authority
    5) Realism
    6) Hollywood style of Making
    7) The Reaction Against New Generation Cinema
    The Return of Old Generation Film Viewers
    9) Excellent Casting

1) Georgekutty l

Georgekutty epitomizes the typical family conscious Malayali……..Georgekutty says in the climax…….. “My world consists of my wife & children…..All I do for them is right to me ....I will sacrifice my life for them”…….I am damn sure that it vibes well with the family philosophy of Every girl/wife in Kerala …..

2) The Mohanlal Factor

Since1980s Mohanlal has been the darling of Malayalam Movie watchers and He was voted the most popular Malayali ever in survey conducted by CNN-IBN a few years ago.....The Astonishing popularity of his ever green hits like Chithram, Kilukkam,Manichithrathazhu, Devasuram, Thenmavin Kombathu, Spadikam, Chandralekha,Aram Thampuran, Narasimham etc testify this fact.....However, Ever since the phenomenal success of Narasimham in 2000, this gifted actor, for various reasons, have kept way from down-to-earth roles on a regular basis....This had frustrated even his most loyal fans among family circles...

Every Malayali still cherishes his roles without heroics in Varavelppu, Nadodikattu, Midhunam, Ayeauto in their heart….His natural comedy is always refreshing and can really elevate small trivial scenes…….In such roles, he is a pure joy to watch…..Drishyam marks the return of ever charismatic Mohanlal, after a long period, as the down-to-earth common man in a powerful character.....Here, he appears as George kutty, middleclass family man in simple costumes and with his trade mark comic expressions & innocent looks without any heroic ornaments……..Mohanlal is at his top form in Drishyam and make us love Georgekutty…… The flow people in age group (30-50) to Drishyam cinemas is mostly due to the Mohanlal factor……

3) Contemporary Relavance

Drishyam discusses some burning isues among family circles in kerala society……like parenting, technology abuse ,encroachment against women, corrupt policing etc in a serious manner…..That makes the film a hot topic in movie discussions……Old genereation guys do like yesteryear preachy moral movies of Lohi,Sathyan Anthikadu, Sreeni a lot…..In Drishyam, we do get a socially relavant film with hidden morals of a kind.

4) Common Man Vs Authority

This is an age old battle that is still running…..we hear stories of abuse of power and status on a regular basis…..The abuse of money & technology by rich youth, the blind eye of law towards them….. Here, the hero is an orphan, a school drop-out without any god father… therefore, we instantly support Mohanlal’s Georgekutty who symbolizes Common man, when he takes on authority in a battle of wits……

5) Realism

What sets Drishyam apart from the league of other popular Malayalam films is its great fidelity to realism…... Instead of going over the board with a sensitive story line, the director has boldly avoided the clichéd entertainment ingradients, considered mandatory for the success of a Malayalm film at the Box-office….There is no colorful dance sequences, no slapstic comedies, no heroic one-liners, pulsating action to enthrall the audience…..Instead, the director was keen on narrating a story and he did that with telling effect!.... Everything in Drishyam is narrated in a clinical, realistic way, exploiting all the possibilities of the visual medium, without resorting to gimmicks of any kind, even though the plot offers a lot of scope for it….This makes Drishyam a real living experience in front of viewers…As a result, the film and the characters continue to haunt the viewers even after the film …… This is no mean achievement!

6) Hollywood style of Making

Last, but not the least, is the making of film…….it follows Hollywood style of film making…….It starts slowly……steadily gaining momentum…..Sudden twisting interval punch….second half action gripping…….edge-of-the seat climatic portions and an excellent visual climax…….(Seven,Alien,Pulp Fiction,Unforgiven….etc)…….I believe this is how films should be made…….Almost all the films that follow this basic principle is good to watch….Jeethu had applied it in style in “Memories” ….But., in “Drishyam”, he applies them into perfection……Two scenes mark out…….Asha sharath explaining drishyam theory…..Climatic scenec with George kutty coming out of Police Station!..........Oh Man, Jeethu…….You are too Good!

7) Reaction against New Generation Cinema

Started with “Traffic” in 2011, the so-called New Generation Cinema, though a refreshing change from the hero- oriented formula Malayalam films, were often rooted in coarse immorality. Such films presented inter-marital relationships as a must for those craving for individual freedom and glorified alcoholism and alienated city life…..and These films were peppered with stylish abusive language and open discussion of Sex (Trivandrum Lodge, Chappa kurishu, Hotel California, 22 Female Kottayam, etc)…..it is a naked truth that such films made watching Movies with kids & family in theatres an ordeal……. for Whatever excuse the fim makers have……Drishyam marks a welcome change from New Generation Gimmicks…..

The Return of the Old Generation Film Viewers

It is really heartening to see film viewers in the age group (40-70) flock theatres to watch Drishyam!.....These viewers had fabulous entertainment in their youth in 1970s,1980s, 1990s…. The fall in quality of films, along with the phenomenal rise of electronic media had kept them away from the theatres long before….. These vieweres are quite demanding and Now a days, they return to theatres only when movies of real quality comes…..Drishyam has been able to attract these lost generation and that accounts for the incredible rush for the film even after a month.

9) Excellent Casting

A good a script with great characterization will not translate in to a great movie, unless it is well supported by the able actors who make us believe the whole proceedings on screen …..It is of primary importance in a film like Drishyam which deals with highly emotional life situations.....You need to have actors who can pull it off without seeming melodramatic….This is where Jeethu has scored big in this film….The characters in the film enters our heart easily and make an instant impression…..The director was able to extract the best not only from veteran actors like Mohanlal, Sidique,kunjan, Meena , also from less exploited actors like Shajon, Asha Sharath, Baby Esther, Ansiba…..Among them, Asha sharath & Shajon have delivered the performance of their life time.

I have seen many people showering praise on Shajon & Asha Sharath…..They deserve it, no doubt…..It is the first time they have come up with anything substantial on screen…..Hence, it is understandable……But, Meena really rocked in the film…… I just can’nt imagine any other actress performing Rani with such ease,grace and perfection other than Meena….. The chemistry between Mohanlal & Meena is also remarkable and is so crucial for the success of the film…….

Last edited by yodha007; 02-02-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: updating

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

1st review alle......enthaaaaayalum kalakki.......

Super review machan

thanks yodhaa...

thanks.........

Quote Originally Posted by SUDHI View Post
    Thanka u dear......Munpu Arabi-kku ittittundu.......Aduthu onnum illa...

Quote Originally Posted by SUDHI View Post
    Thanka u dear......Munpu Arabi-kku ittittundu.......Aduthu onnum illa...

Quote Originally Posted by JabbaR View Post
    Super review machan
    thanks Dear.......Really happy to see a wonderful film from Lalettan rocking!!!

Thanks Machan

Just like jithu joseph's script...........highly detailed & convincing........thanx