Thread: JILLA - Oru Dosa Undakkiya Cinema - My Short Review

Thanks.....Repped...

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Review:

Movie: #JILLA
    (Vijay & Mohanlal)

Jilla- A Crashing Bore!

Rating : 1/5
    Verdict- "Jilla" is a joyless commercial potboiler that has no trace of that one thing it needed the most:
    mass Director R. T. Neason's "Jilla" reduces Mohanlal into being a narcissistic caricature with a God complex who converses only in punch dialogues. His Sivan is a feared Don in Madurai who makes his victims perform a version of sepukku where they are supposed to slit their throat instead. He adopts his driver's son after the boy's father gets killed by a policeman. The son Sakthi (Vijay) grows up into a classic porikki, becoming Sivan's right hand man. They are pretty much the same kind of unsympathetic people like Simmakkal Ravi, the villain in "Pandianadu". But the film glorifies them and tries to lend them some dignity when there is none to be deserved.
    In one scene, Sakthi notices a chasing car as he is driving somewhere, with a fast asleep Sivan sitting next to him. After getting down and beating them up, as is expected of him, he throws an object at the fleeing car which hits the driver who loses control and plunges the vehicle down a hill killing everyone on board. Take a moment to think about it. At least 8 people must have died. The casual attitude with which Sakthi informs Sivan about this incident is where "Jilla" totally nukes the fridge. It's as if mass and logic are inversely related (they are not.)
    Conditioned to never disobey his father, Sakthi goes about enforcing the family's criminal activities without a second thought. I am guessing playing a good-natured person is not fashionable anymore because every major actor wants to play a negative-ish role, with a transformation happening somewhere around the interval. The problem is they don't even go the distance with their shades of grey. So Sakthi too has a change of heart and expects Sivan to quit the life of crime. He refuses and here's where the film gets mildly interesting.
    During the interval, with deep sadness in his voice, this guy next to me said to his friend, "Antha police getup Soori ku kooda suit aaguthu aana Vijay ku suit aagalaye." I am not sure how long it takes to climb up the police hierarchy, but don't expect me to believe that a nobody can become an Asst. Commissioner in a matter of weeks. The problem with "Jilla" is that it wants Sakthi to quickly transform from being a powerful thug into a powerful policeman. The film doesn't want him to pay the price of inefficacy by being a lowly constable or a sub-inspector. It wants him to continue driving cool cars and wear cool clothes and sunglasses on duty. You simply cannot have it both ways. As if this lapse of logic isn't insulting enough, Sakthi gives a patronizing speech about the qualities of a good policeman. If you are embarrassed to be anything less than an Asst. Commissioner, then don't you dare tell me what makes a good police; leave that to Anbuchelvan and Aarusaamy.
    You have a mass hero and a veteran actor whose mere screen presence commands respect. When you pit them against each other, is it too much to expect fireworks bursting off the screen? Maybe. But is it too much to expect a film that doesn't bore you to death? Heck no. Yet, this is what "Jilla" has to offer in terms of entertainment: nothing. There's not even a mild trace of humor. The film's female lead character, played by Kajal Aggarwal, is quite easily one of the worst I have seen in years. She is subject to stalking, sexual harassment at workplace and mostly made a complete fool of.. all at the hands of the film's "hero". The songs are no good either.
    It's a mass film without any mass moments. With nothing worth cheering for, the fans have to make do with poor punch dialogues and idiosyncrasies like shoulder bumps (It's so funny when fans start shouting upon seeing a shot that appeared in the trailer. Hey! We know you recognize it. Why do you have to shout for that?) There are all kinds of sentiments happening in "Jilla" and they all have one thing in common: they instantly remind you of some Jos Alukkas advertisement. The background score gets mawkish and Vijay struggles to emote. The direction is very mediocre and unimaginative, failing to deliver even the most basic levels of entertainment.

By D Ying Light

Banned

Nice review... thanks identity..

thnx macha.......

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Identity View Post
    Saw Jilla From Kazhakoottam Krishna, trivandrum
    Showtime - 5 AM
    Status - Jam packed housefull

My Thoughts
    I had no expectation whatsoever from the movie, coz i knew for fact that this will be mass masala no-no-brainer
    Even then Jilla didn't satisfy me a single bit.. Story told Umpteen times before

Lalettan should never have accepted this role. His charisma and screen presence was not effectively utilized by the director and Lal was somewhat sidelined in second half. Script was way below par and the execution was a total disaster.. Director tried too hard to create laughs and failed miserably and the misplaced songs were unbearably irritating

Lalettan had the screen presence and did fairly well with the dialogue presentation also; but the punch dialogues didn¡¯t had any impact on the audience.
    Vijay should seriously go to some acting classes. Some of his expressions evoked genuine laughter

Positives
    None

Negatives
    Script
    Direction
    Vijay
    Songs etc etc

Rating1/5
    thnx macha

Thanks Identity...

Welcome all
    The worst part in missing someone is to realize that we are going to miss them forever

Review vaayicha ellarkum Thanx
    The worst part in missing someone is to realize that we are going to miss them forever