Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Passages

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

Freedom was little more than a tattered net, draped over a host of minor, self-imposed bindings. Its stripping away changed little, except, perhaps, the comforting delusion of the ideal. Mind bound to self, self to flesh, flesh to bone. As the Errant (God) wills, we are a latticework of cages, and whatever flutters within knows but one freedom, and that is death.

When truth is a fantasy, reality lies ..
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

To create art was not to capture it, but to participate in it.
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

What is a woman's place in this modern world? Jasnah Kholin's words read. I rebel against this question, though so many of my peers ask it. The inherent bias in the inquiry seems invisible to so many of them. They consider themselves progressive because they are willing to challenge many of the assumptions of the past.
    They ignore the greater assumption—that a "place" for women must be defined and set forth to begin with. Half of the population must somehow be reduced to the role arrived at by a single conversation. No matter how broad that role is, it will be—by nature—a reduction from the infinite variety that is womanhood.
    I say that there is no role for women—there is, instead, a role for each woman, and she must make it for herself. For some, it will be the role of scholar; for others, it will be the role of wife. For others, it will be both. For yet others, it will be neither.
    Do not mistake me in assuming I value one woman's role above another. My point is not to stratify our society—we have done that far too well already—my point is to diversify our discourse.
    A woman's strength should not be in her role, whatever she chooses it to be, but in the power to choose that role. It is amazing to me that I even have to make this point, as I see it as the very foundation of our conversation.

Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

4. Likes firecrown liked this post

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

"Usually," Heboric said in a rough voice, pausing to spit. "Usually, running from one thing throws you into the path of another."
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

"Wipe that grin off your face, Lieutenant," Kindly (Captain) said, "or I'll conclude you've lost your mind and promote you."

Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

"Wouldn't surprise me if all the gods are just aspects of one god, and all this fighting is just proof that that one god is insane."
    "Insane?" Heboric was trembling. He could feel his heart hammering away like some ghastly demon at the door to his soul.
    "Or maybe just confused. All those bickering worshippers, each one convinced their version is the right one. Imagine getting prayers from ten million believers, not one of them believing the same thing as the one kneeling beside him or her. Imagine all those Holy Books, not one of them agreeing on anything, yet all of them purporting to be the word of that one god. Imagine two armies annihilating each other, both in that god's name. Who wouldn't be driven mad by all that?"

Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, "Don't ask." Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished.

Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by maryland View Post
    very interesting....
    Hmm.... That was inspiringly short ....
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

Quote Originally Posted by Naradhan View Post

What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, "Don't ask." Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished.

discriminating post...