Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koothara - My Review

Post Koothara - My Review

Watched Koothara on first day itself. I don’t usually write reviews for movies, but felt like writing one since I saw many negative comments for this movie. First of all, I’m a Mohanlal fanatic (I'm not in fans association or something, neither I fight with people in his name, but I like him -> so you can take the review any way you want. I’m not forcing you to trust this neither am I forcing you to watch the movie. I’m writing things which I felt about the movie. Kindly read if you have enough time to spend.

This was the second movie from Sreenath Rajendran after a good first attempt (Second show movie, the biggest reason for me to watch this movie). I was curious to see how he uses Mohanlal (who is often criticized for not working with new comers / youngsters). The trailer, teaser and posters gave an impression that this could be a Mohanlal movie. After the first 15 mins itself, I understood that this is not gonna be a Mohanlal movie. The first half of the movie was a laugh riot, and it made me miss my hostel life a lot. Many times it evoked nostalgic feelings and it was thoroughly entertaining. The first half ends with a good pre interval sequence. I didn’t miss Mohanlal, eventhough I went for the movie just to see him (as I said was curious to see how he was utilized).

Eventhough the narration style was different, I knew where the movie was going, and it was kinda predictable. The script in the second half was a bit shaky and I felt the director/script writer was confused how to proceed with the character of Mohanlal. We have seen him essaying many negative roles with ease, and this character too was not different. He was brilliant in portraying what was given to him. It was a very interesting character, but the director /script writer shifted a bit from the main plot while concentrating on Mohanlal’s character. Eventhough they realized it and went quickly back to the main plot it was a bit late. The film ended with an Ok climax and the post climax shot was booed or not accepted by the audience just because it was enacted by Mohanlal. If it was some other actor in that role, they wouldn’t have booed (Fanship is an encumbrance at times, I realized it now, personally I have never booed for a Mammooty film, I will never do that too, but we can’t expect everyone to be like us).
    The climax could have been better. If the second half was trimmed a bit, the end result would have been much better. Overall it’s an above average movie IMO.
    I would rate the movie 3/5. I watched it from devipriya theatre Trivandrum. I don’t know to tell you the exact status, but it was almost full.
    Inferences:
    1. Fantasy subjects will never work in Malayalam until and unless we change this mindset. We should appreciate it, when people try something different instead of booing it (Since it’s done by an actor who is a rival of your favorite star). People complain that Mammooty and Mohanlal are not doing different roles, when they try something different, this is the reception they get. Then how can they go out from their Safe zone?

2. I saw many people mocking at the climax portion by using Punjabi house dialogue, this is for those people.

Mermen : Mermen are mythical male equivalents and counterparts of mermaids – legendary creatures who have the form of a male human from the waist up and are fish-like from the waist down, having scaly fish tails in place of legs.
    In Greek mythology, mermen were often illustrated to have green seaweed-like hair, a beard, and a trident.
    In Irish mythology, mermen are described as extremely ugly creatures with pointed green teeth, pig-like eyes, green hair, and a red nose.
    He can cure illnesses, lift curses and brew potions, but he can also cause unintended harm by becoming too curious about human life.
    The boto of the Amazon River regions is described according to local lore as taking the form of a human or merman, also known as encantado and with the habit of seducing human women and impregnating them.
    Chinese mermen were believed to only surface during storms or, in some cases, were believed to have the ability to cause storms.
    The actions and behavior of mermen can vary wildly depending on the source and time period of the stories.
    They have been said to sink ships by summoning great storms, but also said to be wise teachers, according to earlier mythology.
    Mermen, just like mermaids, can lure and attract female humans with their enchantingly beautiful, soft melodic and seductive siren-like singing voices and tones.
    Courtesy : google /wikipedia.

There are such things in this world , if you don't know it , you shouldn't conclude that such things don't exist. And when something different is tried by a youngster, people appreciate him, praise him but when the same thing is done by a Super star, they are hesitant to accept it, and still they blame the Superstars for doing cliched roles. Can't you see the irony? Who is to be blamed here?

And dear mammooty fans and Mohanlal fans, I know that the same thing is going to happen for the next Mammuty/ Mohanlal film. Do you people realize what you are doing? Do you know how this is going to end? This won't do any good to Mammooty and Mohanlal. Hope you people realize that soon and move on.

Note: I just articulated my view points, if it is against someone else's views or if unintentionally hurt someone's sentimence, please forgive me.
    Last edited by Khadolkajan; 06-17-2014 at 04:53 PM.

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Moved as a new thread.

Thanks Nryn. thread aaki idan ulla standard onnumila. Just ente oru opinion parayanam ennu thonni. Paranju athre ullu.

Quote Originally Posted by Khadolkajan View Post
    Thanks Nryn. thread aaki idan ulla standard onnumila. Just ente oru opinion parayanam ennu thonni. Paranju athre ullu.
    Doesnt matter. Ithrem effort edutha writeup okke separate thread aavunnathaanu nallathu. Also, it will help when we aggregate review scores.

6. Likes Khadolkajan liked this post

116 views. still no replies? :( athrakku mosham aano ee review ? atho positive review vannathu kondano reply cheyathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Khadolkajan View Post
    Watched Koothara on first day itself. I don’t usually write reviews for movies, but felt like writing one since I saw many negative comments for this movie. First of all, I’m a Mohanlal fanatic (I'm not in fans association or something, neither I fight with people in his name, but I like him -> so you can take the review any way you want. I’m not forcing you to trust this neither am I forcing you to watch the movie. I’m writing things which I felt about the movie. Kindly read if you have enough time to spend.
    good review, aa fantasy angle onnum clear alla movieil , kandappo onnum mansaliyilla
    Last edited by Observer; 06-17-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Recent malayalam movies
    Aadhi: action packed thriller
    Aadu2: well made entertainer
    Queen: average movie with good first half
    Shikari Shambhu: average run of mill entertainer

thanks........

thanks for the review...
    padam kandittilla but from the responses so far, ee mythical/fantasy sambhavangal onnum palarkkum connect aayittillennu thonunnu...
    Be kind, rewind.

Thanks
    good review

danqs.....