Page 363 of 1800 FirstFirst ... 2633133533613623633643653734134638631363 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 17995

Thread: Sultan of Showbiz- Mammookka's Official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jishnu Anand View Post
    http://indianexpress.com/article/blo...lLmiw.facebook

(PS: This blog post is a much civilized and toned-down version. Passions are much darker back home, Mr Varma)
    RGV, you have lost what’s left of your fan base in Mammootty’s Kerala

Written by Vishnu Varma | New Delhi | Updated: April 26, 2015 12:38 pm

off late, it has become quite fashionable for public personalities and celebrities to shoot off a ludicrous comment and then sign it off with a half-hearted apology when they realize that the remark has sent off wrong signals. I think the trend started with the famous ‘dented and painted women’ remark of President Pranab Mukherjee’s son in the backdrop of the protests around the December, 2012 gang rape. This week, the latest addition to that long list of offenders is Ram Gopal Varma, the once-famed film director who has stirred passions by calling Kerala superstar Mammootty a ‘junior artiste’ and advising him to learn acting from his son, Dulquer Salman.

Varma, after watching Dulquer’s ‘OK Kanmani’, a Mani Ratnam film, tweeted earlier this week praising the young actor for his performance in the film, but also snidely remarking that if the award committee members have any sense, they should take all of Mammooty’s awards and give it to his son. That, right there, for me and thousands of Malayalis who have grown up watching Mamukka’s (yes, that’s what we lovingly call him) films amounts to insult of an actor, whose contribution to Malayalam cinema has been unparalleled.
    The Malayalam film industry, as expected, did not take kindly.

In a society like Kerala which hinges quite heavily on a strange two-pronged competition, the state filmdom is literally divided into those who look up to Mammootty against those who are fans of Mohanlal. This competition transcends into journalism (Manorama against Mathrubhumi), politics (Congress versus Communists) and even sports (Argentina versus Brazil). The resulting effect of this competition is that you will find little or no fence-sitters. Almost everyone has a staunch opinion on a matter.
    Unfortunately, the problem with Varma, as I concur, is that his intellect is fast eroding like his own films. So allow this Varma to jog Mr Varma’s memory for a bit.
    Three national awards. Five state film awards. Eleven Filmfare awards. Now, these are not statistics that a ‘junior artiste’ can manage. In film after film, through the 80s and the 90s, Mamukka was slowly but gradually establishing himself as an actor and breezing quite effectively through the minds of the Malayali film buff. From the portrayal of a fierce warrior in ‘Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha’ to that of a hunter in ‘Mrigaya’ and exploring the caste equations in British India in ‘Ponthan Mada’, Mamukka has a clutch of films to his credit that no actor can boast of.
    I still remember excitedly staring at the TV screen in 1995-96 (I was 6 then!) as Mamukka belted high-speed English dialogues in ‘The King’, a film in which he played the role of a crusading IAS officer out to finish corruption. At that age, I had no idea what those dialogues meant, but they sure tickled the early strains of my veneration for Mamukka.
    He is that quintessential actor who was always fit (yes, physically), which worked both ways for the young male fans who cherished a fitness-savvy actor as well as for the female fans who liked the idea of a strong, strapping actor who crushed his villains with impunity.
    In the late 90s and early 2000s, his performances in ‘Valtsalyam’ (in which his part as a loving and caring elder brother moved me to tears), ‘Bhoothakannadi’ and ‘Valliettan’ came around for critical praise and cemented Mamukka’s position in the film world. Of course, these are the little intricacies that may have escaped Varma’s equally tiny intellect.
    Varma sure has the article 19 behind him which guarantees him the freedom to speak his mind. But all I am saying is shouldn’t an opinion be backed by facts especially when it comes from a director who has spent decades in the industry? I mean, here was a man who gave us gems of a film like ‘Satya’, ‘Company’ and ‘Sarkaar’ – which explored concepts and story plots in ways that were never thought of in the 90s era Bollywood. To go from that to stoop so low so as to viciously attack a gifted actor is unbecoming of Varma, even as a man who has found new recognition for his foot-in-the-mouth comments. Varma, with your comments, you have effectively lost what little of a fan base that you may have had in Kerala — a state that nonetheless appreciates good cinema. Your insinuating remarks may have been followed by a half-hearted apology to Mammootty, but know that for us (who have preserved Mamukka as our personal pride in our hearts), your apology means zilch.
    As for Dulquer, he is certainly a fine, emerging actor who has inherited some of the skills from his father (glimpses can be seen in ‘Bangalore Days’) but comparisons CANNOT be, rather SHOULD NOT, be made to his father. And who else better than Dulquer who cast aside all aspersions and put across a fitting response to Varma with this tweet. I don’t think anything more could have been said.

(PS: This blog post is a much civilized and toned-down version. Passions are much darker back home, Mr Varma)

JISHNU BHAI
    Last edited by Hail; 04-27-2015 at 03:29 PM.

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Last edited by wayanadan; 04-27-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    മേരേ പ്യാരേ...ദേശ് വാസിയോം...യോം...യോം ..യോം ........

5. Likes Manoj, Ottayaan, : Raaz : liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by PunchHaaji View Post
    Not from acha din! From last schedule of Pathemaari!!
    Hope Salim Ahamed learnt from KK and Pathemari would be a great watch.
    Mammootty proves yet again that he was, is and will always be the MASS ka BAAP & also CLASS Ka BAAP
    The Mega Star & The Best Actor!

<a href=http://www.forumkeralam.in/forum/signaturepics/sigpic5035_57.gif target=_blank>http://www.forumkeralam.in/forum/sig...pic5035_57.gif</a>

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wayanadan View Post
    Aarum ariyanda....vegam ithu delete cheytheku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdyOw1eTzSg

Quote Originally Posted by wayanadan View Post

Inger Mohanlal nte aaraadhakan aan.. Pulli Lalettane Patti Ezhuthunnund.. ath Mamty yudethaakkiyo..
    Last edited by Aattiprackel Jimmy; 04-28-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTV View Post
    Aarum ariyanda....vegam ithu delete cheytheku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdyOw1eTzSg

പൂരങ്ങളുടെ പൂരമായ തൃശൂർ പൂരം നാളെ !!!!!
    തിരുവമ്പാടി പാറമേക്കാവ് വിഭാഗങ്ങളുടെ പൂര ചമയ പ്രദർശനം ഇപ്പോൾ നടന്നു കൊണ്ടിരിക്കുന്നു...

വർഷങ്ങൾക്ക് മുൻപ് ഒരു തൃശൂർ പൂര ചമയ പ്രദർശനം കാണാൻ മെഗാ സ്റ്റാർ മമ്മൂക്ക എത്തിയപ്പോൾ

ജീവന്റെ അവസാന തുടിപ്പ് വരെ
    ഞാന് ഒരു മമ്മുക്ക ഫാന് ആയിരിക്കും.

13. Likes hakkimp liked this post