Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathemari: The movie I would have dreamt of making,if I were a film maker.

Default Pathemari: The movie I would have dreamt of making,if I were a film maker.

Theatre: PVR, Lulu EKM
    Show time: 7:50 PM, 30/10/2015(Friday)

Due to tight professional and personal commitments, I had decided not to write on any movies after Varsham. But Pathemari forced me to backtrack. I will be betraying my conscience if I don't scribble my thoughts on this earnest attempt.
    If I were a film maker, this is the movie I would have dreamt of making, the movie which would have made me proud.

Pathemari, written and directed by Salim Ahmed is a tribute to the people who could not make it or lost by the wayside in the fifty years of Malayali exodus to the Middle East. An exodus not to escape the perils of war or natural calamity but in search of a better future for the people around them.
    Even though there was no one in Gulf from my home in the past, I have seen many of them in my neighborhood and amongst our relatives. Quite a number of them who led an unphysiological life for an eternity to support their families.
    The story of Gulf Malayalis is the story of Modern Kerala. Every sweat and tear shed by them was a building block of not only Dubai but also Kerala. When I became a 'pravasi' myself, one of the lucky ones, i was able to peep into those lives from close quarters. I have seen people who work in the sweltering heat for 8 hours, then work overtime for another 4 hours for an even lower wages only to come back to see their roommate lying in bed in severe chest pain. They then take this roommate to the hospital and care for them until their next shift. You have to see their love and concern for their fellow workers to believe. Then you can imagine their love and commitment for their families back home.

Pathemari is an intense movie which looks into the grim realities of Pravasi Malayalis through the life and times of Pallikkal Narayanan. It's a saga of endless struggle, pain , hope , dream and suffering of an average Gulf Malayali in his quest for a better future for the people who depend on him. It is a story told with sincerity and conviction without resorting to cliches, gimmicks and cinematic stereotypes. Salim Ahmed is one of the very few directors in our cinema who can be genuinely called as a 'film maker'. In Pathemari, every scene is so real that it connects instantly with the people who have experienced it and those who have seen it from close quarters. Every dialogue come straight out of the heart. Almost all the symbols of Gulf Malayali- journey risking the life, the modest living conditions, camaraderie and love for their colleagues, the letters and post boxes, the long waits to hear the voices of their dear ones back home, the tape recorder, the famous letter song, the crossroads , the Mandi mohalla in Bombay and the dreaded Bomay customs have all been depicted with a kind of authority and sensuousness. The movie doesn't end in the theatres. It will accompany you and haunt you for many more days to come. Narayanan's definition of success is an eye opener to many of us who are unsatisfied with whatever we have.

Madhu Ambat's cinematography is top class. He has set different tones to different phases of Narayanan's life oscillating from hope to despair. Bijibal's background score synchs well with the movie. Lyrics of Rafeek Ahmed too is set to tunes by Bijibal. The opening song well rendered by Jyotsna has picturized Dubai in all it's glory as a prelude to a classic just getting ready to unveil.

All the supporting actors have done full justice to their roles.
    There are no more superlatives available to describe the amazing performance of the peerless actor as Pallikkal Narayanan. Mammotty has delivered yet another acting masterclass. In the last 20 minutes of the film he creates a sea of emotions with a monk like coolness quite different from his previous classics. The way he brings in newer nuances to acting takes your breath away. As there are no competitions from peers he is now challenging his own immortal characters of yesteryears to set the standards even higher.

In fact Pallikkal Narayanan walks straight into an exclusive hall of fame joining Maruthempally Balan Mashu, Balram, Chandu, Achootty, Meledathu Raghavan Nair, Pattelar, Maada, Vidyadaran, Madhavan, Mike, Ahmed Haji and Pranchiyettan the likes of which are beyond the dreams of lesser mortals.

Salim Ahmed has delivered a classic which I am sure is going to withstand the test of time.
    Pathemari is one of the most sincere attempts at film making in the last 25 years of Malayalam cinema. As the film continues it's dream run in packed houses across the state defying all odds for a movie of this genre it is indeed a happy moment for lovers of good cinema.

Last but not the least, Pathemari and Pallikkal Narayanan is the perfect sociocultural response to the comments made by A. K. Antony on pravasi Malayalis 13-14 years back- one of the most irresponsible comments ever made by a politician.
    Last edited by Devarajan Master; 11-01-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    "If the ball is a crying toddler, then Andres Iniesta's first touch is a lullaby..."

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Superb Review..
    Thanks....
    Mohanlal | SRK | Prithviraj | Dulquer | Ranbir | Vijay

Thanks Master for the Review

Good revw thanks master

Last but not the least, Pathemari and Pallikkal Narayanan is the perfect sociocultural response to the comments made by A. K. Antony on pravasi Malayalis 13-14 years back- one of the most irresponsible comments ever made by a politician.

Where continuity breaks there begins creativity ”›

Tanxxxx master

thnx master :)

Kidilan Review

Thanks mashe...kidilan review..
    Monk like coolness...
    Socio cultural response to Antony's remarks...well said..
    Mammootty can be likened to the purest breed of Red Oak trees- he shall still stand upright, rooted in deep and exposing his ornamental bark in all its glory and charisma.

Thanks ,good review,what is that remark by a k Antony ,njan kettittilla

Quote Originally Posted by Cinemalover View Post
    Superb Review..
    Thanks....
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EVER View Post
    Thanks Master for the Review
    Quote Originally Posted by aqildiego View Post
    Good revw thanks master
    You a

You are most welcome Cinema Lover, 4Ever, aqil
    "If the ball is a crying toddler, then Andres Iniesta's first touch is a lullaby..."

12. Likes aqildiego liked this post