Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 💠MOOTHON💠Nivin Pauly✦Geethu Mohandas✦ Outstanding Response and Applause Allover🎉

TIFF 2019 Movie Review: ‘Moothon’

Geetu Mohandas’ second film ‘Moothon’ is practically impossible to label neatly. It is as much a Hindi film as it is Malayali. It features one of Malayalam cinema’s biggest commercial heroes, but is nothing like the quintessential Nivin Pauly films he’s known for. Even the film’s crime adventure image is inaccurate, since it is also a drama, a tragedy and so much more. All of this may sound messy, but it is also what makes ‘Moothon’ a memorable experience.

The story starts with Mulla – a teenager obsessed with the idea of elder brother Akbar, who left the village years ago. Only acquainted with the mysterious Akbar through hearsay, Mulla decides to sail to Mumbai in the hopes of finding the missing sibling. The journey, however, is not smooth sailing, since the teen gets pushed into the city’s underbelly right upon arrival.

‘Moothon’ is a decent crime film with several plot twists, even if most of the supporting actors feel two-dimensional. But it’s even better when it steps away from being a crime film. Exploring the idea of good and bad influences, Mohandas turns what seems like yet another Mumbai underworld film into so much more. She takes a detour from the genre to tell you a story about religious guilt, societal judgement and self-identity. The film also features a very compelling, heartbreaking love story, shot beautifully on the shorelines of Lakshadweep. All these threads connect to show the journey of Akbar and Mulla, how their experiences formed who they were, who they had become and who they want to be.

Nivin Pauly navigates through a drastic character arc as Akbar. Effortlessly nailing the gentler side of his character with his charm, Pauly also manages to be unexpectedly menacing as the hardened tough criminal. Roshan Mathew plays Ameer with a tenderness and charisma that makes it very hard to take your eyes off him. Sobhita Dhulipala and Shashank Arora are given one-note characters and perform them well enough. But the star of the film is Sanjana Dipu, who has transformed for her role.

‘Moothon’ may not be a perfect film, but it is magical in all the right moments. The film shines when it breaks expectations to tell the story it wants to share. If action and suspense isn’t your thing, watch it for the glorious sea. If the love story isn’t your cup of tea, stay for the social critique. And if none of that appeals to you, there’s always the mermaid.

2. Likes Dr Roy liked this post
  3. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Moothon Review: A Whiff of Salaam Bombay Pervades Through This Film Even As Nivin Pauly, The Actor, Reinvents Himself
    BY ADITYA SHRIKRISHNA On SEPTEMBER 14, 2019

"Nivin Pauly, the actor will henceforth be referred to as pre-Moothon and post-Moothon because this is nothing like anything he’s done ever before. He has been seen on stale, similar roles and in just about inoffensive films like Hey Jude or Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela. Moothon gives him a bigger canvas and comes up with two roles for the price of one."

Nivin

Geetu Mohandas’ 'Moothon' receives a warm reception at TIFF
    The Hindu Review

Nivin Pauly ventures into uncharted zones in a quest to find oneself in the film
    On the face of it filmmaker-actor Geetu Mohandas’ sophomore film Moothon (The Elder One) is about the search for the lost elder brother that takes young Mulla all the way from the pristine, idyllic and tranquil home in the islands of Lakshadweep to the chaotic, violent, ruthless and ugly underbelly of Mumbai.

It is also a metaphorical, inner quest to find oneself by facing up to life’s vagaries. As Ms. Mohandas herself put it, in a lively session with the audience at the Scotiabank theatre in downtown Toronto, it is about “the sense of identity and the crises within”.

However, at the heart of Moothon lies an unforeseen, uncommon and extraordinarily tender love story that makes actor Nivin Pauly venture into hitherto uncharted zones. He is on top of things, be it expressing the ecstasy in finding an abundance of love amidst a shoal of fish or resorting to the religious/cultural practice of self flagellation to express the pain of surreptitious, forbidden passion. “I can’t get a hold of myself,” he says, as a visibly broken and tormented Akbar who has nowhere to hide in the islands. The only option is to run away, from home and also from himself.

Ms. Mohandas jostles with interesting ideas — that of a rare fluidity when it comes to matters of both gender and sexuality. “The idea was not to see gender but love,” she said in the audience interaction. For her it wasn’t about titillating or being provocative but pushing the boundaries of cinema, both in terms of the content and aesthetics.

The film marks a unique collaboration of talent from Kerala and Bollywood. It has been co-produced by Anurag Kashyap, Ajay G. Rai of Jar Pictures, Vinod Kumar and Alan McAlex. Besides Mr. Pauly, Dileesh Pothan and Sanjana Dipu, it also stars Sobhita Dhulipala and Shashank Arora. Moothon also speaks in two tongues — the local dialect of the islands and Hindi.

The film left the audience wondering about the ambiguous end, with Ms. Mohandas adding to their curiosity by putting primacy on their own individual interpretation of it than imposing any given “reading”. Shot in Agatti and Bangaram islands it had the Torontonians inquisitive about Lakshadweep itself. Not just when it comes to the beautiful sun, sand and sea, but also the language and culture Ms. Mohandas brings alive.

The film goes on from TIFF to open the Mumbai Film Festival and will be released commercially on November 8.

(The writer is in Toronto at the invitation of TIFF)

Releasing On November 8th

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

Home
    Entertainment
    South
    [EXCLUSIVE] When Nivin Pauly came to Bombay, he felt like fish out of water: Moothon director Geethu Mohandas
    Geethu Mohandas, Nivin Pauly
    Kriti TulsianiUpdated Oct 03, 2019 | 08:10 IST |Filmmaker Geethu Mohandas, who has previously helmed The Liar's Dice, opens up about her next film, Moothon. The film is set to open the 21st edition of MAMI (Mumbai Film Festival) in a few days from now.

Home
    Entertainment
    South
    [EXCLUSIVE] When Nivin Pauly came to Bombay, he felt like fish out of water: Moothon director Geethu Mohandas
    Kriti TulsianiUpdated Oct 03, 2019 | 08:10 IST |Filmmaker Geethu Mohandas, who has previously helmed The Liar's Dice, opens up about her next film, Moothon. The film is set to open the 21st edition of MAMI (Mumbai Film Festival) in a few days from now.
    Photo Credit: InstagramDirector Geethu Mohandas on directing Moothon, casting of the film ahead of its screening at MAMI
    Key HighlightsMoothon is set to open the 21st edition of MAMI (Mumbai Film Festival)Ahead of the big day, director Geethu Mohandas opens up about all things MoothonThe filmmaker shares her experience of working with Nivin Pauly, Shashank Arora, Shobhita Dhulipala and Roshan MatthewGeethu, whose film The Liar's Dice was sent as India's official entry to Oscars years back, shares how she wished her film had more support
    After intriguing the audience at Toronto International Film Festival this year, Moothon is set to open the 21st edition of MAMI (Mumbai Film Festival) in a few days. Geethu Mohandas, who has helmed the film, is anticipating a similar reaction to the film and is aware that she needs to be receptive to receive all kind of comments.

“I think cinema is a very universal language because it's an emotion. Once you watch a film, it's all about what you take back from it. It doesn't matter whether the audience is Indian or international. When I am making a movie, I am not catering to any particular audience... it's my expression of cinema and I want everyone to watch it. In TIFF, it was an amazing reception and they had so many questions about the ending, certain choices and certain politics mentioned in the film. I am expecting a similar kind of a stance here as well.”

Asked what led her to cast Nivin Pauly, who has so far not done anything remotely close to the genre, Geethu shares that in a way, Nivin has himself manifested the film in his life. She and Nivin, reveals the filmmaker, are neighbours and she would often bump into him in corridors. “He was aware that I was writing Moothon and we used to talk about it. I used to tell him that maybe you know I should cast this actor, that actor... Much later, while filming, he told me that he manifested this project into his life because he kept thinking that this is coming to me and I actually believe that because it was a constant draw, that maybe there's something in him, okay I need to go back to him. I had seen all his films and I knew he was always in his comfort zone, working with friends, but there was something about him that I wanted to explore more.”

She added, “And I didn't have any expectation, I had no idea where it's going. It was my intuition that I went with it. I went and narrated the story and when he agreed upon it and came on board, then our journey started together.”

Sharing that Nivin was pretty much a part of her writing process as he had read all her previous drafts of the film and had valuable inputs to share, Geethu shared that during the shoot, their bond strengthened. “After that, when he came to Bombay, he was feeling like a fish out of water, because so many other actors who were part of the film had also so done theatre and different types of cinema, not commercial or box office draws, so he was feeling that I need to do something different for this.”

Recalling how Nivin prepped for his role, Geethu revealed that the actor also took Hindi diction as there was a language barrier. “There was a lot riding on him, I told him there's a reason why I chose you, there's a reason it's all going to come a full circle, so don't worry about that. Just trust yourself and trust your journey,” she said.

She further shared that they took workshops prior to filming, which wasn't about acting, but for self-understanding. “It was about understanding himself better, it was about understanding the person he is better. Every actor should draw something of their own into the character, so that it becomes really engaging and I think his journey of self realisation happened with me as a witness... because I was watching it happen and invariably, we got very close. That's what workshops do, a filmmaker and actor form a synergy of sorts and there's a certain binding trust and that happens.”

Opening up about the film's shooting, Geethu recalled that it was just “magical” to watch Nivin act. “The moment we hit the location and the moment he was in his costume and he was placed with real people, the job was done and he had to behave. And I am so proud of him because he has absolutely exceeded my expectations. He is brilliant in the film and I am just waiting for his fans to watch him because I don't think they have seen him like this before,” she added.

While Nivin, in Geethu's words, manifested the film into his own life, the casting of Shashank Arora and Roshan Matthew, too, had a similar instinctive arc. The filmmaker saw Shashank at the Sundance Film Festival and couldn't help but notice a spark in him. “We instantly became friends, I told him I am writing something and I am going to call you. We shook on it and cut to, he is on the sets.” For Robin, who plays a pivotal role in the film, Geethu shared she knew it from the moment she saw him the first time that he was her character.

As for Shobhita Dhulipala, Geethu revealed that it was Anurag Kashyap who recommended her, adding that the Raman Raghav actress herself was “instrumental” in her own casting. “She bombarded me with texts and messages and she kind of like overwhelmed me with her love. Then I just said, wow there's some actor who really wants to work with me, so cool.”

Asked if the actors had any difficulty getting into the skin of their characters, Geethu quipped that she wasn't bothered about it as she had already instructed them what she wants. “I told them like this is their headache. I said I want it this way, this is it, now make me believe it. My direction was precise, clear and concise and I just watched them. I just made sure that the arc was followed. I was just watching them perform and it was truly a task for them, because they had to find the characters and show me what they are.”

Explaining that she did brief the actors and engaged in debates and discussions about their characters and reactions, Geethu shared that at the end of the day, she would leave it to them, completely open-ended

Anurag Kashyap, who shares a close equation with Geethu, considering the director's husband has collaborated with Kashyap for several films, has co-written the dialogues and the director continues to be in awe of him. “When I wanted to write the dialogues, I wanted the best in the business and I couldn't think of anything but Anurag.”

After Geethu narrated him the script, Kashyap immediately got on board. “We had such a personal friendship and that became such a professional space. It was so beautiful to watch him work and work with him, because he is such an amazing human being, such an amazing filmmaker. There's so much to learn from him, I was in awe of him the whole time and this amazing blessing for me... I just can't believe it, I am just happy to be associated with a person like him, who has so much to offer to independent filmmakers. His films have travelled to international spaces and he has kind of opened those doors for independent films to realise our dreams as well.”

Over 5 years back, Geethu's feature film Liar's Dice was India's official entry to the Oscars. Asked if she has any advice for Zoya Akhtar, whose Gully Boy will represent India at the Academy Awards this year, Geethu shared, “I don't think she needs my advice. I just want to pass on the message that I am very proud of her and very proud of the fact that a film has been selected. I wish her all the best.”

Sharing that her journey with Liar's Dice was extremely different from that of Gully Boy, the director opened up saying, “I was a true blue independent filmmaker, where I had no money to even shoot the film. And somehow, we got into the Oscar race and we had to take so many funds, with no support from anyone to go ahead and do all this. My journey was very different.”

As for Shobhita Dhulipala, Geethu revealed that it was Anurag Kashyap who recommended her, adding that the Raman Raghav actress herself was “instrumental” in her own casting. “She bombarded me with texts and messages and she kind of like overwhelmed me with her love. Then I just said, wow there's some actor who really wants to work with me, so cool.”

Asked if the actors had any difficulty getting into the skin of their characters, Geethu quipped that she wasn't bothered about it as she had already instructed them what she wants. “I told them like this is their headache. I said I want it this way, this is it, now make me believe it. My direction was precise, clear and concise and I just watched them. I just made sure that the arc was followed. I was just watching them perform and it was truly a task for them, because they had to find the characters and show me what they are.”

Explaining that she did brief the actors and engaged in debates and discussions about their characters and reactions, Geethu shared that at the end of the day, she would leave it to them, completely open-ended.

Anurag Kashyap, who shares a close equation with Geethu, considering the director's husband has collaborated with Kashyap for several films, has co-written the dialogues and the director continues to be in awe of him. “When I wanted to write the dialogues, I wanted the best in the business and I couldn't think of anything but Anurag.”

After Geethu narrated him the script, Kashyap immediately got on board. “We had such a personal friendship and that became such a professional space. It was so beautiful to watch him work and work with him, because he is such an amazing human being, such an amazing filmmaker. There's so much to learn from him, I was in awe of him the whole time and this amazing blessing for me... I just can't believe it, I am just happy to be associated with a person like him, who has so much to offer to independent filmmakers. His films have travelled to international spaces and he has kind of opened those doors for independent films to realise our dreams as well.”

Over 5 years back, Geethu's feature film Liar's Dice was India's official entry to the Oscars. Asked if she has any advice for Zoya Akhtar, whose Gully Boy will represent India at the Academy Awards this year, Geethu shared, “I don't think she needs my advice. I just want to pass on the message that I am very proud of her and very proud of the fact that a film has been selected. I wish her all the best.”

Sharing that her journey with Liar's Dice was extremely different from that of Gully Boy, the director opened up saying, “I was a true blue independent filmmaker, where I had no money to even shoot the film. And somehow, we got into the Oscar race and we had to take so many funds, with no support from anyone to go ahead and do all this. My journey was very different.”

“I wish I had more support so that I could have better presented my film, to be honest, so I don't have anything to advise her. I feel she is set, she has backing, she is in a space where she has made a beautiful film and the film has been selected, so she should just enjoy her ride, trip and make us all proud,” she added.

Despite some of India's best works are sent to the prestigious Academy Awards, the country hasn't had a big win. To this, Geethu shared that the competition is extremely fierce and we just have to keep at it. “So many films from around the world are sent and only five are nominated, we just have to keep raising the bar.”

In the past few years, the reach of regional cinema, especially Malayalam content, has increased far and beyond. Several reasons can be attributed to the rise. Whether it's the surge of content-driven films, young filmmakers wanting to experiment and make real cinema, directors wanting to keep storytelling at the forefront and the audience embracing it all. “I still wouldn't call it the golden age, I still feel we are in the bronze age, but we are definitely making really good films - content-wise.”

She quickly added, “And even the actors and stars are so thirsty... I know so many of them and they are my friends. We often debate and battle over their concept of them and what they should be really doing. Because the concept of them is what they are catering to, the fan base and the masses to do this type of the film so that there will be a lot of money and business and there's another side, where they are so hungry and thirsty to do good films and to work with interesting filmmakers and different type of filmmakers. They need to find a balance. It's a great time that people are now thinking about it.”

Apart from helming three films – a short, and two feature films, Geethu has acted in over 30 Malayalam films. Asked if she ever wishes to return to the screen, the director immediately said, “Never ever ever ever ever is my answer. I will never go back to acting. I don't think it needs me and I don't need it. I am very happy in this space, telling stories.”

“And at the end of the day, I prefer giving orders, than taking orders,” she laughingly concluded.

The esteemed film festival is all set to take place from October 17 to October 24 in Mumbai and boasts of an impeccable lineup of films including Gitanjali Rose's Bombay Rose, Kislay's Just Like That (Aise Hi), Pushpendra Singh's Pearl of the Desert (Maru ro Moti) and Saurav Rai's Invitation (Nimtoh) among others
    Last edited by dhakarn; 10-04-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Trailer Launch On Oct 11th

Sent from my LLD-AL10 using Tapatalk