Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KABALI: One of 2016's biggest disappointments!!

Default KABALI: One of 2016's biggest disappointments!!

If one is a diehard Rajini fan then I suggest you look away. I am being very honest with this review.

The first time I saw and heard about Kabali was when the poster of Rajini seated on a couch with the Malaysian skyline as the backdrop came out. I thought this would finally be the perfect vehicle which would combine the regular commercial elements of his kind of cinema with a believable story and the superstar playing his age. The poster looked dark, where Rajini looked like a brooding king seated on his throne. Then there was all the hype and marketing about the movie. Tried to book tickets and finally got a chance to see it yesterday.

Venue: Aberdeen, Queens Links

This is easily one of the most disappointing Indian movies of 2016. Where do I start?!

First and foremost the story and direction.

In a way I can understand the movies shortcomings, this is just the director's third movie. That said I had reasons to expect more from Renjith as 'Madras' was a brilliant piece of work. Kabali on the other hand was more like an amateur attempt at making a movie out of a tired script that we have heard many times before. I was surprised at many scenes in the movie where the acting was cheesy and over the top. The scene where he met recovering gangsters/addicts at his institute, the supporting actors where absolutely poor and in no way were convincing whatsoever. I have a feeling the movie had a very short schedule and a quick wrap up, most directors would have retaken many of the scenes. The very artificial dialogue delivery, wooden body language of most of the cast, I could go on.

Had the producer given the same story and budget to Shaji Kailas, for all his shortcomings he would have made a far better movie.

Less said about the story the better. Everyone in the theatre knew what it was about the moment Rajini opened his wallet and saw his wife's photo. For all the people involved with the movie someone somewhere must have thought 'wait a minute, I have heard this before'. What is even worse is that the only additional elements in the movie including the gangsters, daughter side story, drugs, Chennai visit etc...etc....where so fake, it was neither convincing or interesting.

Technical side

Very poor makeup and costume design. The make up was shoddy, very apparent wigs, tacky fake tattoos, I could go on. The only difference when actors age is that their hair goes grey, nothing else, zilch! The costumes seemed from a movie with a very limited budget. Winston Chao repeatedly appeared wearing the same jackets again and again, doesnt the man have enough money for a wardrobe change?! The sound mixing was annoying as the music overpowering in most of the scenes.

The camera work was decent but nothing to write home about.

Music was a plus. The energetic soundtrack provided strength to many scenes when everything else seemed limp. The only issue was it was mixed in poorly and was overtly loud at many times.

Acting

Oh God!

Let us start with the positives. Radhika Apte was brilliant and convincing as the wife. She outshone Rajini whenever they were together and even in the most awkward of scenes she did her job well.

The Superstar. I have huge respect for Rajinikanth, a very humble human being despite the tremendous and unmatched success he has had over the years. It is understandable why his fans adore him.

That said Rajini's brand of acting is only suitable for playing larger than life roles in pure commercial ventures. The problem is kabali is neither here nor there. Set in what is supposed to be a real world gangster set up but backed up by an absolutely ridiculous story. Rajini is a very limited actor, whenever challenged with an emotional scene he looks all wooden. The scene where he meets his daughter for the first time was cringe worthy! Sir please stick to what you do best, Sivaji, Robot etc.....Realistic acting is not your forte. What you do is something no one else can and is what you do best.

That said this disappointment is not the super star's fault. The producer and director have to accept this debacle. I dont think this movie was made on a huge budget, the production values are not that great. I think the movie was quickly put together on a tight budget to meet some sort of deadline.

Twenty years ago I remember feeling similarly disappointed after watching a much hyped Mohan lal movie 'The Prince', in a way this experience was nostalgic.

I rest my case!

2. Likes OxY, Tigerbasskool liked this post

The Prince - Marana Mass Disaster Padam thanne
    Mohanlal | SRK | Prithviraj | Dulquer | Ranbir | Vijay

Quote Originally Posted by Cinemalover View Post
    The Prince - Marana Mass Disaster Padam thanne
    Hit allaa ennu ormaa undu....dont know the exact collections.

Ithu poolle ekke thanne vann marketing aatirrinnu!!

Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

disaster..............

Thanks For The Review

Thanks bhai

Quote Originally Posted by Cinema Freaken View Post
    Thanks For The Review
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayan View Post
    Thanks bhai
    Thank You as well

9. Likes Cinema Freaken liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

the prince ...hit um alla flop um allaa...it was a huge disaster movie by all means

btw good review ..thanks

Thanks for the Review.........

[QUOTE=Tigerbasskool;7832139]/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ClubAns View Post
    Thanks for the Review.........
    Thank's guys