Page 11 of 174 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ Parvathy Thiruvoth ★ Official Thread ★

Quote Originally Posted by firecrown View Post
    The same can be said of smoking. Many movies show smoking as cool and stylish. Should we also put some similar warning in the corner of screen for chauvinism scenes? [/QUOTE

Smoking is a personal choice/habit that primarily has the largest impact on the person who does it, at least in terms of health (secondhand smoke affects others health as well, but not as much as the original person). The impact of chauvinism is pretty much 100% on the people surrounding the person with that attitude. Smoking is a physical habit while the other is related to how someone treats and views another gender in society. For the purposes of movies, I personally think putting a warning sign on smoking/including ads before the movie about health effects is probably ineffective, but harmless and at least a somewhat logical step). Putting a warning sign on a characters attitude wouldn't make any sense and would do absolutely nothing to change the minds who have that attitude.

Like I said, the problem isn't that characters are chauvinistic on screen. The problem is when this is celebrated and used for scoring points among the masses in an acceptable light. But like I said earlier, makers should do what they want in their films..... but then be ready to face open criticism from others and defend your content with a solid argument (not with pathetic personal attacks like the Kasaba makers have made against Parvathy).
    I think the makers are the ones who allowed and made the film as so. So obviously they are full blown chauvinists as well so they treat Parvathy in the same manner.

Parvathy still didn't even attack Mammookka. She just blasted a shitty chauvinism glorifying film.

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

The same can be said of smoking. Many movies show smoking as cool and stylish. Should we also put some similar warning in the corner of screen for chauvinism scenes?
    Makers swanthantryam anenu paraju beaf fest ahuvanam nadathum kanjavu brand ambassador & his surgical wife

4. Likes firecrown liked this post

She asked why Mammokka ever accepted such a film.

Quote Originally Posted by abdu View Post
    I think the makers are the ones who allowed and made the film as so. So obviously they are full blown chauvinists as well so they treat Parvathy in the same manner.

Parvathy still didn't even attack Mammookka. She just blasted a shitty chauvinism glorifying film.

Paravthy even Kasabaye patti mathram alla samsarichathu. She had earlier spoken negative about Devasuram about a scene where Revathi dances before Mohanlal. Ippo ee issue vannappo enikku orma varunnu

Quote Originally Posted by fuji View Post
    Smoking is a personal choice/habit that primarily has the largest impact on the person who does it, at least in terms of health (secondhand smoke affects others health as well, but not as much as the original person). The impact of chauvinism is pretty much 100% on the people surrounding the person with that attitude. Smoking is a physical habit while the other is related to how someone treats and views another gender in society. For the purposes of movies, I personally think putting a warning sign on smoking/including ads before the movie about health effects is probably ineffective, but harmless and at least a somewhat logical step). Putting a warning sign on a characters attitude wouldn't make any sense and would do absolutely nothing to change the minds who have that attitude.

Like I said, the problem isn't that characters are chauvinistic on screen. The problem is when this is celebrated and used for scoring points among the masses in an acceptable light. But like I said earlier, makers should do what they want in their films..... but then be ready to face open criticism from others and defend your content with a solid argument (not with pathetic personal attacks like the Kasaba makers have made against Parvathy).
    Quote Originally Posted by abdu View Post

so it's ok to put some attitudes like chauvinism, racism etc. in cinema but it should not be "glorified"?....even if you glorify a wrong attitude or action, it doesn't mean that it is right....the character thinks that it is right....due to the director's emotional connection with the character, he too gives it a glorifying kind of making (adding slow motion, good bgm etc)....drishyathil georgekuttyie glorify cheythille?...does that mean he is right?....in the narration of the story, the glorification feels appropriate...so all this is freedom of expression and art....i don't think there should be any such restrictions on the director.

i agree with fuji that the response of the makers on this issue was not right.
    Last edited by firecrown; 12-16-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    My ratings for last 5 Lalettan movies:
    * 01/24 - Malaikottai Vaaliban - 4/5
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5
    * 10/22 - Monster - 2.6/5
    * 05/22 - 12th Man - 2.5/5

8. Likes Movie Lover liked this post

so it's ok to put some attitudes like chauvinism, racism etc. in cinema but it should not be "glorified"?....even if you glorify a wrong attitude or action, it doesn't mean that it is right....the character thinks that it is right....due to the director's emotional connection with the character, he too gives it a glorifying kind of making (adding slow motion, good bgm etc)....drishyathil georgekuttyie glorify cheythille?...does that mean he is right?....in the narration of the story, the glorification feels appropriate...so all this is freedom of expression and art....i don't think there should be any such restrictions on the director.

i agree with fuji that the response of the makers on this issue was not right.
    Especially for the movie Kasaba, I find it hard to believe that the makers/scriptwriter chose to glorify those character traits the way they did because of some sort of emotional connection to the character. It was painted on simply for mass appeal and to add to the financial prospects of the film. They had no intention of making a quality cinema that spoke to the ills of society--- if they just wanted to portray the character as being chauvinistic he could just insert it through the character's natural dialogue or interactions alone without decorating it with slow motion/BGM or presenting it in a heroic light. But of course that wouldn't work in a movie that was made for the box office, so the makers chose to present it the way they did, subconsciously (or consciously) knowing that it would still "click" in today's society. In movies, technical aspects like slow motion,BGM, etc are used primarily for the purpose of trying to establish or enhance a connection with the audience's emotions (whether that's fear, excitement, anger, disgust, applause, etc.). The recent response of Kasaba's makers to Parvathy's comments only reinforces that they didn't add this to the film simply for the sake of character development (since their only response was to taunt and demean the criticizer). I agree with you that there shouldn't be content restrictions on filmmakers, but with that freedom comes the risk of getting called out for their choices. This issue is receiving such attention now because Parvathy is a relatively prominent actor within the industry and majority of her contemporaries (actors or actresses) would never dare to call out filmmakers---let alone a superstar film--- for fear of losing opportunities. To be honest, I think Malayalam industry might be one of the "safer" movie industries to voice such an opinion---if such a situation arose for a Rajni film in Tamil or a Salman Khan film in Hindi the situation would have been 100x worse for her.

I agree that Drishyam does indirectly justify hiding a murder through its main story line, and it did receive flak for doing so when it released. However, the characters and plot development are built in a way that Mohanlal and his family are shown as being thrown into a situation that they had no control over and thus had to make decisions that any regular person wouldn't have to make. Even Mohanlal's character repents for his actions towards the end of the film, reinforcing that he doesn't believe that was he has done to protect his family is necessarily "right." Puthiya Niyamam had a similar theme of justifying revenge for family's sake. Either way justifying/glorifying the action of revenge in response to wrongdoing from others is pretty different from glorifying a character trait that serves no other purpose in the plot other than to build the "heroic" image of the lead character (especially when that trait is gender biased)
    Last edited by fuji; 12-17-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuji View Post
    Especially for the movie Kasaba, I find it hard to believe that the makers/scriptwriter chose to glorify those character traits the way they did because of some sort of emotional connection to the character. It was painted on simply for mass appeal and to add to the financial prospects of the film. They had no intention of making a quality cinema that spoke to the ills of society--- if they just wanted to portray the character as being chauvinistic he could just insert it through the character's natural dialogue or interactions alone without decorating it with slow motion/BGM or presenting it in a heroic light. But of course that wouldn't work in a movie that was made for the box office, so the makers chose to present it the way they did, subconsciously (or consciously) knowing that it would still "click" in today's society. In movies, technical aspects like slow motion,BGM, etc are used primarily for the purpose of trying to establish or enhance a connection with the audience's emotions (whether that's fear, excitement, anger, disgust, applause, etc.). The recent response of Kasaba's makers to Parvathy's comments only reinforces that they didn't add this to the film simply for the sake of character development (since their only response was to taunt and demean the criticizer). I agree with you that there shouldn't be content restrictions on filmmakers, but with that freedom comes the risk of getting called out for their choices. This issue is receiving such attention now because Parvathy is a relatively prominent actor within the industry and majority of her contemporaries (actors or actresses) would never dare to call out filmmakers---let alone a superstar film--- for fear of losing opportunities. To be honest, I think Malayalam industry might be one of the "safer" movie industries to voice such an opinion---if such a situation arose for a Rajni film in Tamil or a Salman Khan film in Hindi the situation would have been 100x worse for her.

I agree that Drishyam does indirectly justify hiding a murder through its main story line, and it did receive flak for doing so when it released. However, the characters and plot development are built in a way that Mohanlal and his family are shown as being thrown into a situation that they had no control over and thus had to make decisions that any regular person wouldn't have to make. Even Mohanlal's character repents for his actions towards the end of the film, reinforcing that he doesn't believe that was he has done to protect his family is necessarily "right." Puthiya Niyamam had a similar theme of justifying revenge for family's sake. Either way justifying/glorifying the action of revenge in response to wrongdoing from others is pretty different from glorifying a character trait that serves no other purpose in the plot other than to build the "heroic" image of the lead character (especially when that trait is gender biased)
    i guess the problem is our "mass movie" culture....in a mass movie, each and every action of the hero tends to be glorified....if the hero is a good guy, it's ok...but if hero is a bad guy, problems might happen...take for example the movie 'mankatha'....i think it is the best glorification of a pakka criminal in entire film history....so i suggest that we either avoid making mass movies featuring heroes with negative shades or stop making mass movies altogether....mass movies are all about glorification....bad heroes may get glorified in mass movies.
    My ratings for last 5 Lalettan movies:
    * 01/24 - Malaikottai Vaaliban - 4/5
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5
    * 10/22 - Monster - 2.6/5
    * 05/22 - 12th Man - 2.5/5

ini muthal ella heroes-um Immanuel poelyulla shudhanmar aayi maatrame abhinayikkaavoo ennu rule vachaal theerunna prashaname ivide ullu.
    Narasimham, King, Kasaba, Devasuram pole ulla movies-il Manikkuttan, Saiju kuruppu pole ulla C-grade (commercial wise) heroes maatrame abhinyikkavoo ennum rule kondu varanam.

14. Likes Movie Lover liked this post