vs

Sat , Apr 21 , 2018

09:45pm IST Man Utd v Tottenham , Live on Sony TEN 1 / TEN 1HD
    Venue : Wembley Stadium , London

Sun , Apr 22 , 2018
    07:30pm IST Chelsea v Southampton , Live on Sony TEN 1 / TEN 1HD
    Venue : Wembley Stadium , London

What the world was like when Arsene Wenger became Arsenal manager

Arsene Wenger was unveiled as Arsenal manager on Sept. 22, 1996, with Tony Adams suggesting the club had appointed a bloke who looked like a schoolteacher.

He would go on to oversee vast change during his 21? years in North London but back in 1996, the world was a very different place.
    What was in the news?

The U.S. launched Operation Desert Strike -- cruise missile strikes on Iraq.

In South Africa, former President F.W. de Klerk officially apologised for the pain and suffering caused by apartheid.

Princess Diana and Prince Charles confirmed their divorce.

In Russia, Boris Yeltsin was sworn in for a second term as president.

U.S. President Bill Clinton signed the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty at the United Nations.
    Who was dominating sport?

Pete Sampras and Steffi Graf won the men's and women's US Open titles, while Greg Norman was at the top of the men's golf rankings.

Damon Hill won the Portuguese F1 Grand Prix the day Wenger was confirmed, and would go on to win the Formula One Drivers' Championship.

The U.S. dominated the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, winning 101 medals.

Rugby Union went professional.

The Green Bay Packers would cap off the 1996 NFL season by winning Super Bowl XXXI, with Brett Favre named MVP.
    The technological landscape

There were a total of 36 million internet users worldwide: just 0.9 percent of the global population.

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat and the iPod had not yet been unleashed on the world.

The Nintendo 64 had just been launched in the U.S. when Wenger took charge, with "Pokemon Red and Blue" on the GameBoy the top-selling game that year.

The best-selling mobile phone in 1996 was the Nokia 1610, with an estimated 100 million worldwide sales. To unlock the capability to send text messages, buyers had to seek out the upgraded 1610 plus version.

Tickle Me Elmo and Buzz Lightyear were the in-demand toys that Christmas, with the former causing in-shop fights as customers battled over the sensation.
    Mark Leech/Getty Images
    The cost of things

A loaf of white bread would set you back around $0.88, with a gallon of milk priced at $2.73.

A pint of ale in the U.K. clocked in at around ?1.75.
    On the airwaves and the silver screen

Earlier in the year, popular English "boy band" Take That had split up, but the Spice Girls exploded onto the music scene amid a wave of "Girl Power," while Oasis had just played Knebworth in the U.K. for two nights in front of some 250,000 fans.

Los Del Rio's "Macarena" dominated the USA's Billboard Hot 100.

Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn's "The First Wives Club" was the hot movie ticket in the U.S., taking just over $15m in its first week, while Kurt Russell, Steve Buscemi and Stacy Keach's "Escape from L.A." was the top-grossing movie in the U.K.
    In the Premier League

Joe Kinnear would be crowned Premiership Manager of the Month just days after Wenger got the job, while Liverpool's Czech forward Patrik Berger would take the players' award. Alan Shearer would finish the season as top scorer while the Middlesbrough revolution would fail as Fabrizio Ravanelli, Emerson and Branco were unable to prevent them from slipping down a division.

Future Arsenal legend Thierry Henry was at Monaco and was named French Young Footballer of the Year.

Manchester City would finish 14th in the second tier of English football, with the signing of Kevin Horlock a rare ray of sunlight in a gloomy season.

Wenger's first match in charge was against Blackburn Rovers, with Ian Wright scoring twice to give him a winning start. Arsenal were third when he got the gig: it's seemingly a league position they can only dream of now.

Glad that the management sacked him before the end of season...winning the cup might have changed their decision

West Brom 2-2 Liverpool: Salomon Rondon claims late point

Salomon Rondon's late header saw struggling West Bromwich Albion come from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Liverpool on Saturday.

Liverpool took just four minutes to open the scoring, with Danny Ings - in for the rested Roberto Firmino - registering his first goal since October 2015 with a neat finish.

The visitors then doubled their lead when Mohamed Salah scored his 31st Premier League goal of the season, equalling Luis Suarez's club record from four years ago.

Jake Livermore's close-range effort gave West Brom hope with 11 minutes to go and Rondon headed home a late leveller to boost West Brom's faint survival hope.

Jurgen Klopp says dry Hawthorns pitch and officials to blame for Liverpool's draw at West Brom

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp questioned both the officiating and the quality of the pitch after his side threw away a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with bottom-of-the-table West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The visitors appeared to be cruising towards a 2-0 win after goals either side of half-time from Danny Ings and Mohamed Salah at the Hawthorns.

However, West Brom scored twice in the final 11 minutes through Jake Livermore and Salomon Rondon to dent Liverpool's top-four hopes, with Klopp furious at the full-time whistle

The German thought the visitors should have been awarded a second-half penalty after Ings was taken out in the box by Craig Dawson, while he also wanted Ahmed Hegazi sent off after a first-half clash with the same player.

Klopp, though, was most unhappy with the state of the pitch at the Hawthorns, claiming it was too dry and should have been watered at half-time.

"I was not happy with the pitch, you can imagine that. It was a difficult game, especially after the pitch got drier and drier," he said. "West Brom obviously decided not to water the pitch in half-time again. And it was quite difficult.

"Then we had the situation early in the second half, Ings in the box, you saw the pictures - it could be a penalty. And the situation with Hegazi and Ings, I do not know?

"You need a little bit of, not even help, only the right decision. So that is twice not?"

And Klopp reacted angrily when asked by Sky Sports reporter Pat Davidson what difference watering the surface would have made.

"You proved you never played football obviously," he said. "It makes a massive difference. If the pitch is dry, you can pass the ball not really through three or four yards. That is for all teams in the world, if they play football.

"If you do it like West Brom, the ball is constantly in the air and you do not need a wet pitch. But that is how it is and we have to deal with that.

"And they can do it next year, playing football with a dry pitch in the Championship. So that is how it is and we have to deal with it.

"My analyst showed it to me [Hegazi's punch on Ings]. I do not have to say anything about that. I do not know why he did it, there was no reason for that, but he did it.

"And with the penalty situation, people were laughing at Ings that he goes down in that situation, nobody can stand on their feet in that situation

"We know what we are responsible for, but with the number of games, stuff like that, and then you need only the right decisions. Not on your side, not that, only the right and then everything is fine at the end and we win here 3-0 or 3-1."

The infuriated Liverpool boss was not finished there, claiming goalkeeper Loris Karius was being blocked during set plays throughout the match and that the free kick leading to West Brom's 88th-minute equaliser should not have been given.

"The whole game, the block on the goalkeeper - I know everybody likes it in this country, but it makes life quite difficult for a goalie in these situations," he said.

"And everybody knows they want set pieces in the last few minutes and the ref [Stuart Atwell] gave it in the corner with Joe Gomez, but everybody told me it was not a foul. And that makes life not easier.

"For the second goal what I heard from what my guys told me, it was not a foul, so that was the only chance they could have in a situation like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Santi View Post
    Glad that the management sacked him before the end of season...winning the cup might have changed their decision
    who is your choice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
    who is your choice ?
    i like to see some direct football ..no tippy tappy bs...so that rules out enrique..big no to italians too..so conte allegri anceloti out... My dream would be simione...but no chance...i would settle with some germans though ... Hearing good things about Nagelsmann and Schalkes Tedesco and Schmidt ...austrian Hassenhutl...tuchel is going to psg i think. There are so many options there...any coach would be an upgrade to this shit show going on...

Once again in FA cup final, beating spurs 2-1 coming from behind. Sanchez, Pogba, Herrera did well. GGMU..

Quote Originally Posted by moovybuf View Post
    How about jochaeim low ?? He would be an ideal one...and he is leaving national job after WC I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Santi View Post
    i like to see some direct football ..no tippy tappy bs...so that rules out enrique..big no to italians too..so conte allegri anceloti out... My dream would be simione...but no chance...i would settle with some germans though ... Hearing good things about Nagelsmann and Schalkes Tedesco and Schmidt ...austrian Hassenhutl...tuchel is going to psg i think. There are so many options there...any coach would be an upgrade to this shit show going on...
    So Joachim Low fits the bill. Even though managing club and country are different , I think Low can manage at club level too
    PSG may go for much more high profile than Tuchel I think , that will open the door for him also

..also reading news that Wenger himself may take over at PSG

Quote Originally Posted by Isco View Post
    Once again in FA cup final, beating spurs 2-1 coming from behind. Sanchez, Pogba, Herrera did well. GGMU..
    Entertaining match ...thought this was not our day when they scored first..they started brightly
    Sanchez had a very good game again ...Herrra , Pogba also done their part well