Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 4K Restoration of old Films - Tech corner

Hybrid View

Thumbs up 4K Restoration of old Films - Tech corner

A business project to restore old movies to 4K quality picture and 5.1 sound is started by @sankar1992 and friends.

Please share your questions and thoughts on the project and support their venture.

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Quote Originally Posted by BangaloreaN View Post
    A business project to restore old movies to 4K quality picture and 5.1 sound is started by @sankar1992 and friends.

Please share your questions and thoughts on the project and support their venture.

Thanks for the thread.

Actually we have not started the project. We are planning to start by mid next year. Many things have to done before starting. We are planning to copy the trend created by The Criterion Collections,one of the best in the business. So we would like to know from you guys.How you will receive such a venture. Please share your thoughts here.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    "നമുക്കൊരു ഒന്നൊ​ന്നര പടമുണ്ടെന്നു പറ" !!

Some samples of what restoration can achieve

https://youtu.be/2y6pbE1Xo00

https://youtu.be/2AMSHs2adWk

Good luck..

Old Malayalam movies or other language Indian movies? How are you planning to get it done actually?

Give us more details.

Quote Originally Posted by ParamasivaM View Post
    Good luck..

Old Malayalam movies or other language Indian movies? How are you planning to get it done actually?

Give us more details.
    Thanks.

We are planning to concentrate only on malayalam films.
    Actually we are on a discussion on how we can get back the investment and a marginal amount of profit to keep the project running. Our plan is to release a Blu-ray - Stream combo at the rate of Rs 750/- .It includes a Blu-ray disk and acces to our website in which you can watch your purchase anytime anywhere . My colleague's opinion is that it is better to take a pre-order before starting the work on a particular title. They are saying a minimum of 2500 orders.
    Besides that we are in talks with one of the TV channel. I believe a deal is not so far.
    Cost of restoration process for one movie takes 5-8 lakhs.
    Price of the 4K scanner is 20 lakhs.

We would like to know how many of you will buy a restored Blu-ray.??

Quote Originally Posted by sankar1992 View Post
    Thanks.

Actually we are on a discussion on how we can get back the investment and a marginal amount of profit to keep the project running. Our plan is to release a Blu-ray - Stream combo at the rate of Rs 750/- .It includes a Blu-ray disk and acces to our website in which you can watch your purchase anytime anywhere . My colleague's opinion is that it is better to take a pre-order before starting the work on a particular title. They are saying a minimum of 2500 orders.
    Besides that we are in talks with one of the TV channel. I believe a deal is not so far.

I will be definitely interested in buying, BUT

750 RS for old movies is a bit of a stretch. For that, the quality will have to be top notch.
    For most of the pre-1995 movies audio in 5.1 would be a waste I feel. A solid 2.1 dolby track would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ParamasivaM View Post
    I will be definitely interested in buying, BUT

750 RS for old movies is a bit of a stretch. For that, the quality will have to be top notch.
    For most of the pre-1995 movies audio in 5.1 would be a waste I feel. A solid 2.1 dolby track would be enough.
    Yes we know 750 is bit expensive. But if we get more than 5000 orders and we have came to an agreement with tv channels, we will reduce the price.
    Please watch the second video I posted here. We hope we can achieve a similar quality through a 4K scan.
    Regarding the audio,we are planning to remaster the mono audio to 5.1 surround sound.If we can't get the required quality while remastering,we will release a 3.0 DTS HD.

It would be better to make a contract with TV channels before selecting movies. Also consider movies that have a scope for re-releasing (Padayottam, Kilukkam, Devasuram, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Iravikkuttan View Post
    It would be better to make a contract with TV channels before selecting movies. Also consider movies that have a scope for re-releasing (Padayottam, Kilukkam, Devasuram, etc.)
    Yes we are trying for that. Then only we can successfully maintain the project. Our idea is to remaster movies which have repeat audience.

Thanks.

i'm in !
    Manjummel Boys - 4/5 | Bramayugam - 4.5/5 | Premalu 3.5/5 | TBMAUJ 2.5/5 | Malaikottai Vaaliban 2.5/5 | Abraham Ozler 2.5/5 | Neru - 3.5/5 | Dunki - 2.75/5 | Salaar - 2.5/5 | Animal - 2.5/5