Thread: Varathan - A Late Review

Default Varathan - A Late Review

Movie : Varathan
    Occupancy: Housefull

**Spoiler Alert**

There are some movies which are very difficult to watch, not because the movie is bad, but the movie is disturbing. Varathan was a disturbing movie. It led us into the life of Abin and Priya. How they came to 18th Mile for a change and how that changed their lives forever. It led us into the lives of the people around us. I have seen many like Benny (Dileesh Pothan) in my life. Likewise, I have seen many like Ondhu(Kochu Preman) also.

This is one of the movies which re-write the normalcy of filmi villages. Villages and the people are portrayed in movies as the epitome of goodness, likeness, and innocence in movies. But here the writers have something else for us. There is a Village scanner. There are some rich brats who think they have a claim for everything around them.

The movie as it sunk in unsettled me. The atmosphere created was of an imminent doom. The creepiness of the peeping toms, the way their pervertedness were expressed, every single bit was making me more and more nervous. And I realized, I was nervous about our heroine, I was fearing for her safety. I was nervous because this was something that could happen to someone in my family, my sister, my mother, my wife.

The vileness of the antagonists disgusted me. I cringed when one of them stole her undergarments and sniffed it. I cringed when one of them made advances on her. I cringed when Kochu Preman "scanned" her. It made her uncomfortable enough to stop holding hands with her husband. It made me uncomfortable too.

But black shades were not the only thing the writers gave us. They gave us Benny chettan, someone whom we could rely on. They gave us the character of a doting mother (Unnimaya prasad). We see the hypocrisy of people who care when one of their own is involved but have absolute irreverence to other females around them.

It is rare that we root for a character so undeveloped as Abin. We don't know much about his past, his backgrounds. Through scenes, we come to know that he cares, he cares for everyone even a cockroach. He says there is a place for everyone in this world. Yet, he doesn't protest when some of them were enforcing moral policing. Was he a coward? Or he didn't react because it was happening to someone unknown to him? Not much was developed of his character, yet I rooted for him. I rooted for him to avenge for Priya.

The transformation scenes were abrupt and so was the shift in the narrative tone. The initial half showed Amal Neerad's craft of the movie (best since Kullante Baarya) and during the final scenes, he was more "Amal Neerad"esque. The final scenes played more to the gallery with well-choreographed action sequences and breathtaking narrative pace.

In the end, we see the transformation of the character played by Abin, who crushes the cockroach trying to enter his home. It was his proclamation as to what David of Straw dogs made "This is where I live. This is me. I will not allow violence against this house."

Direction - A big Thumbs Up

DOP - Littil Swayamp - Good

Music - Could have avoided with to make it more effective

BGM - Little over the top at places but overall good

Performances

Fahadh - Not too demanding of an actor of his caliber. But what the movie proved was that he can pull off an absolute mass character of his own with elan.

Aishwarya - Was effective but dialogue delivery needs to be improved

Sharafudheen - Surprise, Surprise. This guy can perform. He brought to life the vileness of the character. He a real show stealer that I wanted to beat him up.

Dileesh pothan - Improving a lot as an actor.

Vijilesh - Second movie after Theevandi which made me loathe him. One scene in Theevandi and this movie proves he is a real find.

When Abin punched the antagonits, it was me who punched them, when Abin set the fire, it was me who set the fire. When Abin beat Josey to his pulp, it was me who was beating him. Abin avenged for Priya and for me. And for that I give the movie two thumbs up.
    "You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. That's a part of it."

2. Likes ClubAns, hakkimp, Saathan, chandru, renjuus liked this post
  3. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

Thanx for the review..

5. Likes pvnithin liked this post

thanks...

7. Likes pvnithin liked this post

Thanks bhai...

9. Likes pvnithin liked this post

thanks.........

11. Likes pvnithin liked this post