Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: T E N Ǝ ꓕ | Christopher Nolan | Release in India on 4-Dec |

TENET REVIEWS CALL TIME-WARPING THRILLER 'THE MOST CHRISTOPHER NOLAN-Y MOVIE OF ALL TIME'

The film is a "big, brashly beautiful, grandiosely enjoyable" and "made-for-Imax" spectacle that should be a treat for those able to see it on the big screen. A "spy thriller with expanded science-fiction parameters," Tenet is actually surprisingly comprehensible despite its time-inversion hook. With a small about of fun-poking, the film is still straightforward Nolan: practical, smart, and a little cold. Things get explained, hints are dropped, plots are dense, and setpieces are stunning. Will these aspects convert new folks to the cult of Nolan? Maybe not, but Lodge sees the film as "dizzy, expensive, bang-up entertainment of both the old and new school." - Variety

The "entertainingly inane glory" that moviegoers used to take for granted pre-pandemic. Sure, that might sound like faint praise, but the idea that a Nolan film "dazzles the senses, but it does not move the heart" is nothing new. Rather, Kiang notes that the director continues to "blow stuff up good" and bring better action visuals than deep ideas — though, hey, "the film is undeniably enjoyable." - The New York Times

The most Christopher Nolan-y movie of all time." That means his hang-ups and his expertise are present in equal measure, with the latter perhaps winning out to make the film "a glorious attempt at giving us a meal that’s both sweet and savoury." The movie's timey-wimey twists, high-intensity visuals, and bold sounds are turned "up to 11," giving fans a film that's probably worth more as spectacle than as a true puzzle worth examining - SlashFilm

Christopher Nolan’s blammiest film yet. BLAM!" Godfrey is not alone when comparing the film to James Bond, as many point out the plot's 007 feel, but star John David Washington (and the rest of the star-studded cast) are only described as "immensely watchable." The real star here is the time-inverting setpieces, which are "ferociously entertaining" and prove "Nolan’s undying commitment to big-screen thrills and spills," even if, as Godfrey writes, fans "might not know what the hell's gone on. 4 stars. - Empire.

The film contains "zero levity" and is Nolan simply bringing "dead ideas back to life." And that cast, which plays second banana to Nolan's action spectacles? "Nolan deploys his actors like spokespeople, appointed to field and deflect queries from his client base. While the viewer's mind might be scrambled, the film's too "sullen and unyielding" to be much fun. - Indiewire.

A dream come true for film-goers. 4 stars. It is as an “eye-popping, ground-breaking blast”. - Evening Standard.

This is a film that will cause many to throw up their hands in bamboozlement – and many more, I hope, to clasp theirs in awe and delight. 5 stars. - Telegraph.

“Tenet is rarely less than thrilling to watch. It’s a
    challenging, ambitious and genuinely original film packed with compelling performances – Washington and Debicki are especially excellent. 5 stars. - NME.

Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is another mind-bending wonder that delves into the intricacies of physics while delivering a fast-paced action thriller.” - The Metro.

Tenet is “not a movie it’s worth the nervous braving a trip to the big screen to see, no matter how safe it is. I’m not even sure that, in five years time, it’d be worth staying up to catch on telly. To say so is sad, perhaps heretical. But for audiences to abandon their living rooms in the long term, the first carrot had better not leave a bad taste. - The Guardian.

Does it matter all that much, though? ‘Tenet’ is a thrilling place to get lost in. ‘Don’t try to understand it. Feel it. - The Independent.
    Last edited by Perumthachan; 08-22-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Detailed Reviews:

From the New York Times:
    Gorgeously shot across multiple global locations and pivoting on an elastic, time-bending conceit (more on that later/earlier), the film is undeniably enjoyable, but its giddy grandiosity only serves to highlight the brittleness of its purported braininess. This would hardly be a criticism of any other blockbuster. But Nolan is, by several exploding football fields, the foremost auteur of the “intellectacle,” which combines popcorn-dropping visual ingenuity with all the sedate satisfactions of a medium-grade Sudoku. Within the context of this self-created brand of brainiac entertainment, Tenet meets all expectations, except the expectation that it will exceed them. Forgive the circularity of this argument: it’s a side effect of watching the defiantly circular Tenet.

From The Guardian:
    No wonder Christopher Nolan thinks Tenet can save cinema. That’s a doddle compared to the challenge faced in his film, which, we’re frequently reminded, is a proper whopper. Prevent world war three? Bigger. Avoid armageddon? Worse. To spell it out would be a spoiler, but think 9/11 times a hundred, to quote Team America: World Police, a film Tenet faintly resembles. The fate of a few multiplexes is small fry.
    Lucky, really, because Tenet is not a movie it’s worth the nervous braving a trip to the big screen to see, no matter how safe it is. I’m not even sure that, in five years’ time, it’d be worth staying up to catch on telly. To say so is sad, perhaps heretical. But for audiences to abandon their living rooms in the long term, the first carrot had better not leave a bad taste.

From The Telegraph:
    Feeling your heart and brain race to keep up is a significant part of the fun here, and in that unique and unmistakable Nolan-esque way, there is a series of exhilarating mental snaps whenever the two temporal perspectives intermesh, like the teeth on opposite sides of a zip. As for the parts you won’t and can’t, appreciate first time around – well, rewatching is always an option. If Tenet does revive the British box office, as cinemas are praying it will, that will be down in no small part to the fact you have to see it at least three times to be sure you understood it [...] This is a film that will cause many to throw up their hands in bamboozlement — and many more, I hope, to clasp theirs in awe and delight.

From Indiewire:
    Nolan is not invested in the meat-and-potatoes plotting of lesser mortals. He trades in big-picture concepts, and his latest is tried-and-tested: a device that reverses matter. Careers too, apparently. Tenet revisits the terrain of 2000’s Memento with more money and a protagonist — sorry, Protagonist — who, in tracking and repurposing that gizmo for good, masters the flow of time rather than falling prey to it. Yet plot-wise, Tenet has more in common with Minority Report than Memento, even as it lacks the sophistication to make that route worthy of exploration. An insinuating mid-budget noir has been punched up into a bet-the-house studio actioner; interminably PG-13 shootouts and fistfights replace those tangible, haunting Post-Its and Polaroids.

From Variety:
    [Nolan’s] musings are rooted more in physics than philosophy or psychology, with the film’s grabby hook — that you can change the world not by traveling through time, but inverting it — explored in terms of how it practically works, not how it makes anyone feel. If this tendency leads Nolan’s critics to label him a chilly filmmaker, there’s the barest hint of knowing silliness to Tenet that warms it up. It plays best when it stops showing us its work and morphs into the fanciest James Bond romp you ever did see, complete with dizzy global location-hopping, car chases that slip and loop like spaghetti, and bespoke tailoring you actually want to reach into the screen and stroke.

കാണാൻ പോയവർക്കൊന്നും ഒരു ചുക്കും മനസിലായില്ല എന്നുതോന്നുന്നു.

4. Likes renjuus, Oruvan1 liked this post

The plotting is “muddled rather than complex,” but he does offer a bit of hope for those Nolan fans that enjoy multiple viewings and trying to figure what the film is really about, saying, “In the end, ‘Tenet’ isn’t one of Nolan’s most satisfying films. But after I’ve seen it four or five more times, maybe I’ll change my mind.” - The Wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Perumthachan View Post

ഇതില് ശാലിനി മൊത്തം inversion അല്ലേ?
    Aha ok.. good observation

8. Likes Joseph James liked this post

"People who know my earlier work will recognise some of the tropes, like the bullet coming out of the wall and back into the gun. It's something that's portrayed metaphorically in Memento, but here we try to make it concrete and a real thing. This particular script and the idea of taking the spy genre and really trying to use it as a vehicle for taking the audience on this journey through all these bizarre concepts of time, I've been working on that for 6 or 7 years in specific terms."

"I try not to watch it (The Spy Who Loved Me, Nolan's favourite James Bond movie) too often, but when I watched it recently and showed it to my kids, you can tap back into those early experiences. I think I was about seven years old when I saw it, I went with my dad to the cinema to see it. What I remember and what I try to retain from that experience is the feeling of possibility, that you could jump through that screen and go anywhere in the world and see the most amazing things. It had such scale and such possibility really, it was pure escapism and excellent fantasy component to it as well with the car that turns into a submarine and all that stuff. I think I've spent a lot of my career trying to get back to that feeling and give that feeling to audiences, take you back to that sense of wonderment about the possibilities of what movies can do and where they can take you."

- Christopher Nolan to Digital Spy.

Tenet Review Round-up – Christopher Nolan’s ambitious film receives mixed responses

https://www.criticalhit.net/entertai...xed-responses/

TENET – REVIEW

https://oneroomwithaview.com/2020/08/24/tenet-review/

In its finest moments, Tenet is like Pattinson’s hair: slick and immaculate. But messy plotting and deliberately confused dialogue drive the film frustratingly off-course time and time again, leaving us with Nolan’s patchiest work to date. RATING: 3/5

'Tenet' review: Christopher Nolan adds plenty of twists to spy genre with time-bending thriller

https://canoe.com/entertainment/movi...f-424b6c8da614

“Try to keep up,” one character chides. But if you do try to unravel and decipher every little clue Nolan has packed into the film, it will certainly take away from the big-budget entertainment spectacle going on in front of your eyes. Complex stunts, including a 747 crash, a spectacular car chase scene, a bungee jump up a Mumbai skyscraper and an intricate hallway fight with the actors going forward and back, dazzle visually. 4 stars.