Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unda: frighteningly real, relevant and will pierce many hearts

Default Unda: frighteningly real, relevant and will pierce many hearts

Unda is frighteningly real, relevant and will pierce many hearts.

Whenever I talk or read about cinema my mind goes back to early and mid 1980s, a period when we were treated to outstanding movies by brilliant film makers and writers. That period and those movies made such a lasting impression on me so that I tend to compare any new movie with that gold standard. In the last 32 years since the period I was referring to, I have never come across a greater period in our cinema until the last five or six years when Malayalam cinema is taken to a different level by some exceptionally gifted film makers. Khalid Rahman, arguably the most promising film maker of this generation join hands with India's finest actor to make Unda, a movie that defies all odds and stereotypes to make it big among both class and mass.

Unda tells you the tale of SI Mani sir and his colleagues from Kerala Police who were assigned for election duty in one of the troubled polling stations in Bastar, a Maoist infested area in Chattisgarh. Like any other average Malayali, they have neither any idea about insurgency nor have they ever used arms or ammunition in their service. SI Mani sir has never fired a shot in his service till date! He had never even chased a thief in his service. At Bastar, they were in for a shock at multiple fronts.

Unda is a pan Indian cinema made in Malayalam. It's contemporary, frighteningly real, relevant and hard hitting dealing with human rights violations, ethnic and regional discrimination and above all the criminal indifference of the bureaucracy and the Government to the common man. Unda also point fingers at politicians who have long used insurgency as a cover to increase their clout in rich but grossly untapped terrains in India.

Moreover, Unda is a classic example of what film making is all about. It has the film maker Khalid Rahman's signature written all over it. Here is a director who is so confident about his craft and knows the essence and language of cinema. Unda shows us that Khalid Rahman is here to stay for many years and enthrall us with realistic and meaningful Cinemas.
    The writers Harshad and Khalid Rahman have weaved magic with a narrative that's both spontaneous and multilayered. They keep the movie interesting and even thrilling without any commercial stuff. That's the hallmark of a truly great film. I'm pretty sure that Unda will pierce many more hearts in the coming days.

One of the highlights of the movie is Sajith Purushan's camera. But it's not about the lush green of Keralam. It's all about that rough terrain and dust encrusted forests of Bastar. The contrast has to be seen to believe. Prashant Pillai's background scores and folk music is never loud and synchs perfectly with the mood. Hats off to Krishnan Sethukumar for producing a classic.

The supporting cast in the movie are not to fill numbers or the screen. They have done a tremendous job. Omkar Das Manikpuri, Bhagwan Tiwari, Ranjith, Shine Tom Chacko, Gokulan, Rony David, Lukman, Jacob Gregory, Arjun Asokan have all given fantastic performances expected of them.

Mammootty is a delight to watch as SI Mani Sir. In fact SI Mani is remarkably different from the umpteen police officers he had done on screen.
    For an actor of his calibre, SI Mani sir is not a huge challenge. Still the innovations and improvisations he bring to a naive character is absolutely mind blowing. There is a scene in which he narrates his experience as a labourer before joining police camp. It's a treat to the eyes and ear. Rustic acting at it's brilliant best. At the other end of the spectrum there is that parting scene with the son of the soil Kunal Chand where you see that absolute Mammootty magic with his face and voice. Two scenes with contrasting emotions that make you sit and applaud. Just two scenes to remind you that Mammootty, the Baap of realistic acting is in a league of his own.

The incomplete actor continues his relentless journey traversing hitherto unchartered waters delivering yet another acting masterclass. Will this journey ever end? Well, he is still busy adding newer nuances to his acting armamentorium like a passionate child at work. The moment he thinks that he is 'complete' he would call it a day. But I presume that day would never come.... because the incomplete actor he is, he would just continue to strive for perfection....and there are innumerable characters still waiting for him.
    "If the ball is a crying toddler, then Andres Iniesta's first touch is a lullaby..."

2. Sponsored Links ::::::::::::::::::::Remove adverts

thank you master!

4. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

👏👏

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

6. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

Thanks master, last paragraph പൊളിച്ചു..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

8. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post
    Banned

Kidu review master

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

10. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post
    Banned

Kidu review.......Salute you master .....
    entha oru language......

12. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

Thanks master.Great review as always....

14. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

Onnu onnaraa review master...incomplete actor..athu polichu
    thank you pls be active in discussions

16. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

The incomplete actor continues his relentless journey traversing hitherto unchartered waters delivering yet another acting masterclass. Will this journey ever end? Well, he is still busy adding newer nuances to his acting armamentorium like a passionate child at work. The moment he thinks that he is 'complete' he would call it a day. But I presume that day would never come.... because the incomplete actor he is, he would just continue to strive for perfection....and there are innumerable characters still waiting for him.

Yes our incomplete actor is India's finest or probably worlds best.
    Thanks master for the brilliant write up about Unda and Mammootty. I do not want to compare Mammootty with any other actor because there no comparison at all.

18. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post

Incomplete actor athu ishtapettu.. thanks for the review master..

20. Likes Devarajan Master liked this post