Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Passages

The Butcher's Boy (1982) by Thomas Perry

(chapter 5)

Last edited by firecrown; 02-24-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    My ratings for last 5 Lalettan movies:
    * 01/24 - Malaikottai Vaaliban - 4/5
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5
    * 10/22 - Monster - 2.6/5
    * 05/22 - 12th Man - 2.5/5

2. Likes Naradhan liked this post

thanks firecrown..
    ee pusthakam vaayikkanam..

Quote Originally Posted by maryland View Post
    thanks firecrown..
    ee pusthakam vaayikkanam..
    crime novel aanu.....wiki description onnu vayichekku before trying.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butcher's_Boy
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5

House of Chains by Steven Erikson

"Death is not an unkind fate," Darist said above him. "If she was a friend, you will miss her company, and that is the true source of your grief––your sorrow is for yourself. My words may displease you, but I speak from experience."
    When truth is a fantasy, reality lies ..
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

Personally I am very fond of strawberries and cream but I have found that for some strange reason, fish prefer worms. So when I went fishing, I didn’t think about what I wanted. I thought about what they wanted. I didn't bait the hook with strawberries and cream. Rather, I dangled a worm or grasshopper in front of the fish and said: Wouldn't you like to have that?
    Why not use the same common sense when fishing for people?

Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends & Influence People
    Uske Kathl par mein bhi chup tha meri baari ab aayi
    Mere Kathl par aap bhi chup ho Agla number AApka hein....

7. Likes Naradhan liked this post

Butcher Bird (2007) by Richard Kadrey
    Genre: Urban Fantasy

(chapter 23)

Among the greatest lies ever told, probably the greatest is that death only comes in one flavor.

Depending on the time, the place, the species of the deceased and its general standing in the universe, the nouveau-dead can find themselves experiencing any number of different types of death.

Most often, the classes of death experienced by humans fall into three categories:

Total Death. This is the typical human death. Sleeping the big sleep. Taking a dirt nap. The spirit has moved on and the body is empty meat in the cold ground. Nothing, short of some expensive special effects or an act of god, is going make a Total Death any but a common separation of spirit and a feast for worms.

Hungry Death. This is a loathsome kind of half- death. Typically, the hungry dead end up as zombies--slow--witted, gluttons for human flesh and smelling like an abandoned pig farm. This is the category where you never want to find yourself. Too deranged for Heaven and too unstable to accept damnation in Hell, there's no love lost in any Sphere for the Hungry Dead.

Petit Mort. The little death. This is the most elusive, but perhaps the most sublime human death. It's reserved for those enlightened souls to whom death and life aren't separate states, but the continuation of a single thought. Once they've made that initial transition between life and death, your typical Petit Mort spirit slips continually been the Land of the Dead and the Living Earth, wherever the action happens to be at the time.

Each state of death has a very different cast. Not all bad ones are punished. Not all good souls are rewarded. Luck or the lack of it, timing and intelligence are as important in death as they are in life.
    Last edited by firecrown; 02-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5

9. Likes Naradhan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by firecrown View Post
    Butcher Bird (2007) by Richard Kadrey
    Genre: Urban Fantasy

(chapter 23)

Among the greatest lies ever told, probably the greatest is that death only comes in one flavor.

Depending on the time, the place, the species of the deceased and its general standing in the universe, the nouveau-dead can find themselves experiencing any number of different types of death.

Most often, the classes of death experienced by humans fall into three categories:

Total Death. This is the typical human death. Sleeping the big sleep. Taking a dirt nap. The spirit has moved on and the body is empty meat in the cold ground. Nothing, short of some expensive special effects or an act of god, is going make a Total Death any but a common separation of spirit and a feast for worms.

Hungry Death. This is a loathsome kind of half- death. Typically, the hungry dead end up as zombies--slow--witted, gluttons for human flesh and smelling like an abandoned pig farm. This is the category where you never want to find yourself. Too deranged for Heaven and too unstable to accept damnation in Hell, there's no love lost in any Sphere for the Hungry Dead.

Petit Mort. The little death. This is the most elusive, but perhaps the most sublime human death. It's reserved for those enlightened souls to whom death and life aren't separate states, but the continuation of a single thought. Once they've made that initial transition between life and death, your typical Petit Mort spirit slips continually been the Land of the Dead and the Living Earth, wherever the action happens to be at the time.

Each state of death has a very different cast. Not all bad ones are punished. Not all good souls are rewarded. Luck or the lack of it, timing and intelligence are as important in death as they are in life.
    Petit Mort. ... ivar evidunna itharam words kandu pidikunathu ..
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

Quote Originally Posted by Naradhan View Post
    Petit Mort. ... ivar evidunna itharam words kandu pidikunathu ..
    according to wiki, "la petite mort" means orgasm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5

12. Likes Naradhan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by firecrown View Post
    according to wiki, "la petite mort" means orgasm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort
    Na
    rayana ..
    . Narayana ...

A Dark Matter (2010) - By Peter Straub
    Genre: Horror

(from chapter 5)

"Maybe there’s a gene for what we call evil,” I said. “Some variation on the normal pattern that pops up a lot less frequently than the marker for cystic fibrosis, say, or Tay-Sachs, and most other diseases. Hitler could have been born with it, and Stalin and Pol Pot, and every other dictatorial ruler who set about imprisoning and killing his own subjects, but so would plenty of everyday citizens. Every big city would have about three of these guys, every small city maybe one, and every fourth or fifth little town would have one—people who think other people are lesser beings and like to kill, hurt, injure, at the very least dominate and humiliate them. A bunch of other people would have been twisted into similar shapes by their lousy, abusive childhoods, but we’re talking about people who are born that way. They carry that gene, and unluckily for everyone around them, it gets activated. It wakes up. Whatever. That’s what you ran into when you met Keith Hayward."

"The Bad Seed," Don said.

"Exactly. The other point of view, which lots of religious people believe, is that from birth every single human being is corrupt and sinful, but that true evil, the real sulfurous Satanic thing, is timeless, comes from outside, and exists independently from human beings. To me, this always seemed a primitive way to think. It absolves you from responsibility for your actions. A devout Christian would say that I had it all wrong."
    * 12/23 - Neru - 2.5/5
    * 01/23 - Alone - 2.5/5

15. Likes Naradhan liked this post